ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by Lounge Lizard »

That's not been dropped. It's been deliberately smashed.
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by Deadly »

It certainly looks like there are numerous impacts on the screen.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by DB1100 »

We've had a few dropped,including the one I use and it's not broke,just bounced,they are pretty robust IMHO.
For we were soldiers once,and young
dav1524
Posts: 64
Joined: 22 Aug 2010, 14:12
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by dav1524 »

DB1100 wrote:We've had a few dropped,including the one I use and it's not broke,just bounced,they are pretty robust IMHO.
We were told by the work place coach the other day they have been drop tested from 8 feet and they were ok.
jetblack
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by jetblack »

unhappyCumbria wrote:Managers at Tesco tell their staff they cost £1000 each, I've heard from our managers they cost £1300, wonder if Tesco got a better deal :nervous
I find £1k difficult to understand - or justify if that indeed is what they cost. For a poor mans smartphone ? I've got an old Nokia N8 will do everything this thing does and a lot more - and the N8 is 5 year old tech, and cheap as chips.
When you consider they are buying in bulk I reckon the £1k is at least 2.5 times more than they should be paying TBH - in fact, for a brick like this, with the specs it has, I'd reckon on closer to £100 apiece, in bulk, from China.
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by Postie45 »

also if screen is smashed it doesnt mean the whole unit is a write off, it could be repaired.
stan_lers
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by stan_lers »

unhappyCumbria wrote:Managers at Tesco tell their staff they cost £1000 each, I've heard from our managers they cost £1300, wonder if Tesco got a better deal :nervous
I remember a manager telling us the old PDAs cost £5000 each. If they really did cost that much, it would be much cheaper to just use a £50 smartphone with the same software using the camera to scan.

Also, I find it harder to drop these new ones since they're lighter, smaller (only just) and have proper straps on them. I've dropped it a few times and nothing has broken, my van partner also has a short temper and has throws his around when he puts his pin in wrong so they seem pretty durable.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12191
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by SpacePhoenix »

A fair chunk of the cost of them might well be for the software which RM probably had custom made, probably written from scratch
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by rubberbond »

unhappyCumbria wrote:Managers at Tesco tell their staff they cost £1000 each, I've heard from our managers they cost £1300, wonder if Tesco got a better deal :nervous
They saw Royal Mail coming ,they must have been rubbing their hands with glee. Talk about being ripped off.
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by PHARRY »

Lounge Lizard wrote:That's not been dropped. It's been deliberately smashed.
I agree it's deliberate damage
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by PHARRY »

unhappyCumbria wrote:So a mate at Tesco put this on their FB they are using the same SYMBOL PDA

Image

Apparently they don't bounce so well :nervous

Anyone smashed one in their office yet? What happened? Our office goes live soon, and knowing how often I dropped the brick, this doesn't
bode so well for the new one :nervous :nervous :nervous :nervous :nervous :nervous


Properly reversed over it in van
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by Anonymouse »

The manager dropped mine when i couldn't get it to log on :Very Happy Big crack along the screen but it still works alright
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by claretandblue »

Dropped mine from 3 foot, screen smashed, was sent for repair and replaced, no harm done.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by bustedflush »

unhappyCumbria wrote:Managers at Tesco tell their staff they cost £1000 each, I've heard from our managers they cost £1300, wonder if Tesco got a better deal :nervous
Every little helps.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN

Post by toomuchcoke »

unhappyCumbria wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:The manager dropped mine when i couldn't get it to log on :Very Happy Big crack along the screen but it still works alright
Hopefully he conducted himself!
Knowing the Royal Mail I'm sure there was a rigorous investigation, followed by a firm but fair disciplinary in which all relevant facts where considered in a calm and dispassionate manner!