ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Funeral 12.00 Saturday
-
Jon Chaplarski
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 12 Jun 2012, 21:33
- Gender: Male
Funeral 12.00 Saturday
Hi folks, i have to attend the funeral of my partners nan who passed away Monday, we were close and i spent many hours sat beside her in hospital. i asked if i could have Saturday off and got a flat NO. i am having to go into to work on a day SURELY i was entitled to have off, is there no compassion in Royal Mail anymore? feel a bit let down and angered by it, and i'm no longer gonna go that extra mile for this company anymore after 18 years solid service. 
What good are promises,if nobody honours them?
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3725
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Funeral 12.00 Saturday
JC, sorry to hear about your partners nan, and you would think RM would allow leave but according to the 'Other leave' employment policy
it's not an entitlement in this case, looks like it comes under the third bullet point of the policy below:
Bereavement: It’s an upsetting time when someone close to you passes away. Managers will do their best to allow you time to deal with your loss.
• Your manager can provide you with up to one week’s paid leave for immediate family, e.g. next of kin or blood relative (spouse, civil partner,
child, parent or sibling), to support you during this difficult time.
• If a member of your family,e.g. grandparent or parent-in-law passes away, your manager can give you one day’s paid leave to attend the funeral.
• For wider family or friends, you can agree with your manager whether to swap shifts, make up the time, take unpaid leave or holiday.
I wan't aware of this policy before a parent in law's funeral and had to make do with the funeral day being my day off when it could have been
a paid day's leave for the funeral, only found out later and I was fuming.......
it's not an entitlement in this case, looks like it comes under the third bullet point of the policy below:
Bereavement: It’s an upsetting time when someone close to you passes away. Managers will do their best to allow you time to deal with your loss.
• Your manager can provide you with up to one week’s paid leave for immediate family, e.g. next of kin or blood relative (spouse, civil partner,
child, parent or sibling), to support you during this difficult time.
• If a member of your family,e.g. grandparent or parent-in-law passes away, your manager can give you one day’s paid leave to attend the funeral.
• For wider family or friends, you can agree with your manager whether to swap shifts, make up the time, take unpaid leave or holiday.
I wan't aware of this policy before a parent in law's funeral and had to make do with the funeral day being my day off when it could have been
a paid day's leave for the funeral, only found out later and I was fuming.......
-
Jon Chaplarski
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 12 Jun 2012, 21:33
- Gender: Male
Funeral 12.00 Saturday
heartbreaking to hear that,sometimes i suppose it depends on how 'pally' you are with a gaffer. i'm effing sure a manager would get a day off. at least i know now, thanks for replying.
What good are promises,if nobody honours them?
-
tonytucker
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Essex now
Funeral 12.00 Saturday
Just go sick f**k them some things are more important as long as you not on a stage 3, no problemo
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Funeral 12.00 Saturday
He should have done that before asking for the day off. Mind you,a Saturday funeral and that quick,following the passing away, is very rare.tonytucker wrote:Just go sick f**k them some things are more important as long as you not on a stage 3, no problemo
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Funeral 12.00 Saturday
Roughly four years ago my wife's nan died, I knew id have problems so told them it was my nan who had died, well she had died but that was back in 1980
I received the phone call saying she had died whilst prepping the walk, so took the remainder of that day off.
When the funeral date was anounced I TOLD the DIM I won't be in, and didn't mind if the payed me or not but I will be going to the funeral.
As it turned out they did pay me.
I received the phone call saying she had died whilst prepping the walk, so took the remainder of that day off.
When the funeral date was anounced I TOLD the DIM I won't be in, and didn't mind if the payed me or not but I will be going to the funeral.
As it turned out they did pay me.
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
Funeral 12.00 Saturday
Why not ask around and find out who's off and ask if anyone minds covering or coming to help you, I know I would as would others if asked.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Funeral 12.00 Saturday
or pay someone to do itsalomon2 wrote:Why not ask around and find out who's off and ask if anyone minds covering or coming to help you, I know I would as would others if asked.
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Funeral 12.00 Saturday
Sadly yes you are not entitled to the time off, but as another has suggested pay someone to do it for you - if it means that much - it's not right but it is a solution which any of your fellow workmates would understand
all that matters is that you are there
all that matters is that you are there