ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hospital appointment

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

Hospital appointment

Post by Kings Norton »

Can anyone tell me how do I go on with a hospital appointment please. I have one soon mid morning and according to a few lads in our office they quiz you before you attened "What's your day off can you swap it" "can you come back after the appointment" where does one stand on this. the clinic I am attending is only certain days and Am appointments. Cheers in advance.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Hospital appointment

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=68435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Other Time off – Management Support Booklet

Medical appointments:
Employees should be encouraged to try and arrange medical appointments outside of
working hours, but sometimes, this is not possible. When an employee needs time off to attend an appointment that
has been scheduled during working hours, there is a legal requirement to facilitate time off. You might do this by
arranging for them to make the time up, swap shifts with a colleague or offer paid time off...
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Hospital appointment

Post by cpsteve »

Swap your rest day is best or take a days holiday.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Hospital appointment

Post by rehabron »

cpsteve wrote:Swap your rest day is best or take a days holiday.
As per TBT posting for hospital appointments that can only be attended during working shift which are the only times that are available with the consultant then the employee in the first instance should (1) arrange a duty swap (2) change day off (3) arrange to give time lost back at a later date (4) request an " other time off" form which in the majority of cases will be paid. Due to the various alternatives that are available to use up a day of your annual leave should not be necessary. If the hospital appointment is an isolated case and not part of continuous appointments at this set time I believe that giving the time back may not be necessary as previous precedents have been set for other employees under similar circumstances not having to give the lost time back.
Downeagle
Posts: 68
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 08:30
Gender: Male

Hospital appointment

Post by Downeagle »

I had a hospital appointment during my week off and asked for the day to be 'refunded' and it was. I have another appointment in two weeks time and I have asked for this day off too and it's been granted.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Hospital appointment

Post by crazyshrew »

I had one recently, was given a paid day "special leave" straight off
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Post by iHateD2Ds »

Oooooooooooooo
Last edited by iHateD2Ds on 08 Nov 2016, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
psyCrowe
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Feb 2016, 12:28
Gender: Male

Hospital appointment

Post by psyCrowe »

I always try arrange for these things outside of working hours, or days off, however this specialist appointment was "given" to me on a day I was working. Asked them for the day off to be told no due to staffing, so had to swap my day off. Came back next day after appointment, and found out they had a guy spare that day. Arseholes.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Hospital appointment

Post by cpsteve »

All depends on your manager
Downeagle wrote:I had a hospital appointment during my week off and asked for the day to be 'refunded' and it was. I have another appointment in two weeks time and I have asked for this day off too and it's been granted.
What does it taste like. :wink: