ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

part time posties - work start time

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
kram123
Posts: 11
Joined: 01 Jun 2016, 14:42
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by kram123 »

hi all, I'm due to start as a postie in a couple of weeks time and I'm interested to know what time other part timers start work. I know this must vary a bit between offices. when I applied for the position, the advert stated it was a 9.30am start, and when I was at the interview I was told that I would be starting earlier than this. I have now got my contract and it states that my work hours will be allocated to me by my manager. however, these hours may change. what is the earliest time that they can get you to start work and is it normal to get your working hours changed?
boomans
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Nov 2015, 19:28
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by boomans »

Hi Kram123,

Welcome to Royal Mail, i've been working for them almost a year. It is normal for them to change your start time. I was suppose to start at 9am everyday but then changed to 7am. So you really end up working more than your contract hours. I'm contracted for 24 but work 28 atm. make sure if your doing over your contracted hours you get it down as overtime. hope this helps.
kram123
Posts: 11
Joined: 01 Jun 2016, 14:42
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by kram123 »

Thanks for the welcome and reply boomans. I don't have any problem starting earlier, hopefully I will be able to get some extra hours. seems strange when they advertise these posts that they don't mention that start and finish times may vary quite a bit.
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by PHARRY »

Mark
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

part time posties - work start time

Post by korky »

be prepared/aware when you do start at 9-30 then you should be walking in and collecting the bags and going straight out on delivery, though this never happens, this will then lead to b&h if you are pressured into overtime that you at times can't do on certain days then you are classed as under-performing, then you do the overtime begrudgingly with fear of losing your job and trust me this does happen, and thrown on duties neither person know if on p&l, command & conquer was mentioned the other day, this is driven into our management
now for the good news, you will get most tuesdays off as well sundays :left:
keep a diary of your hours, if you love the hours then you're ok, if you're restricted then you may be in the wrong job :Very Happy
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by Creditshampoo »

If it's anything like our office you'll start at 9am for a week then 7am after that and work at least 39 hours forever
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

And when you do these extra hours, don't forget your paid break entitlement for the day increases!

4-5 hours 20mins
5-7 hours 30mins
7-9 hours 40mins
9+ 50mins
11+ 60mins
Etc. Etc.
movingon
Posts: 61
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 12:39
Gender: Female

part time posties - work start time

Post by movingon »

Lots of part-timers working full-time hours in our office, starting at 6.15!
kram123
Posts: 11
Joined: 01 Jun 2016, 14:42
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by kram123 »

thanks for the replies.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by ScousePostie »

When I started, coming up to 2 years now. I started at 9am Mon-Tues and 9:30 Wed-Sat (25hrs). After 12 months my hours were increased to 30hrs, 8am Mon-Tues and 8:30 Wed-Sat and finish and 14:00 and 14:30 respectively. I'm regularly asked to start early (6:30am). A few early morning a week and a few loops of overtime and before you know it there's full time hours :dance
tinkz
Posts: 44
Joined: 08 Mar 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

part time posties - work start time

Post by tinkz »

I was supposedly hired on a 9-2 25hrs contact... I can start anywhere between 5:30 - 8. The only time I've got 25 hrs has been when I'm on holiday
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by Postie45 »

dont be too worried about others scare stories, the fact is offices are so varied that you could well end up in a decent office. Your start time could be anything from the time the FTs go in (depending on office from 5.30-7.30) or up to 9.30 if theyre planning on having you just do the delivery. If youre going in earlier than this you will probably be doing "indoor work" - sorting mail and/or prepping mail into a delivery frame. In most offices there is a big reliance on people doing overtime so you *should* be able to make up more hours very easily, that is unless you find youself in an office with a lot of PT people already which isnt that common yet but is moving that way. Well done on finding this website though, its full of useful information for a new starter and people are always very helpful if you have questions.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by woopesh »

I wouldnt worry about under performance either. I know plenty of part timers who have other jobs or kids to pick up who always cut off ie. work their contracted hours and no more. Both the union and Royal Mail HR have told me as long as you deliver a reasonable amount of mail in your contracted hours to the rules, you are untouchable. Officially you won't be expected to do more than half a duty for the first two months. In reality you will get treated like everyone else as soon as you know the basics. I would join the union right away so you can get advice. Honest managers are few and far between. Many will lie and coerce to get what they want. My start time can change daily between 6:30am and 10am, but you can discuss this with your manager. I have an official start end time in my contract. Its totally within my right to insist that its stuck to.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

part time posties - work start time

Post by rambo1 »

If you have to be done by say 3pm to pick kids up, you must make this very clear from day one, or have to take them in the morning and can't start before a certain time. No need to be awkward about it just say that's why you took the job on, for the advertised hrs. If none of the above apply, you will most certainly have the opportunity to work full time hrs. Be prepared to be slow for the first few weeks but stick at it and all of a sudden it'll click one day and you'll be fine. The evolution of a postie is, new starter, slow, then between six months and a couple of yrs, fast as they want to impress, then you settle down and realise if you continue to work at that pace you will most probably not be able to walk by the time you retire, so you ease off. Don't get me wrong, a postie with experience can shift when they want to up it a gear, but only on special occasions when you want to be done on time.lol. Good luck and welcome, hopefully you'll get a good work place coach to teach you and an understanding manager. Ok the last bit may be pushing it, but there are a few out there!