ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Scan % and coaching
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Scan % and coaching
heres a heads up.....a lot of us in our office,,,,and by a lot I mean a couple of dozen are being coached on the scan rate of 2d bar codes.
I was told at first that the first 2 weeks of the new scanner use I was getting between 90-100% scan rate.
I scan if I see a bar code,,,some still don't scan,,,if I can scan it I will.
Suddenly this week ive been coached for getting 0% LOL.....now I know I may not scan every bar code BUT....
I told them if I had 10 bar codes to scan all day and I managed to scan 5,,,,then I`d get 50%....no way would I miss everyone....and theres never a day when I haven't tried to scan.
Another lad deliberately went out and didn't scan several......his figures for that day are 100%.....
Were asking/telling them that somewere on this new system is a problem.
the lad ive been with this week ive seen scan 2d bar codes and he`s been pulled for 0 %.
I was told at first that the first 2 weeks of the new scanner use I was getting between 90-100% scan rate.
I scan if I see a bar code,,,some still don't scan,,,if I can scan it I will.
Suddenly this week ive been coached for getting 0% LOL.....now I know I may not scan every bar code BUT....
I told them if I had 10 bar codes to scan all day and I managed to scan 5,,,,then I`d get 50%....no way would I miss everyone....and theres never a day when I haven't tried to scan.
Another lad deliberately went out and didn't scan several......his figures for that day are 100%.....
Were asking/telling them that somewere on this new system is a problem.
the lad ive been with this week ive seen scan 2d bar codes and he`s been pulled for 0 %.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Scan % and coaching
This problem started for us almost as soon as the 2D barcodes came in.
the other day I was supposed to scan 4, I must have successfully scanned more than 20 with maybe 2 or 3 that I just couldn't get to work, yet their figures say I only managed 1!
As far as I can tell they must only scan a small sample at the mail centre, and it's out of that we are measured on.
We're still on the old PDAs which probably doesn't help matters if I can't scan the ones they scanned, especially is they've got (even more) crumpled up in the bag.
Also, how do they even know we definitely got them that day, what if they were allocated to a walkers duty but were oversized and went out on the packet van? Unless these are scanned at EVERY point in their journey, management haven't got a leg to stand on if they want to start the 3Cs with us over theses.
the other day I was supposed to scan 4, I must have successfully scanned more than 20 with maybe 2 or 3 that I just couldn't get to work, yet their figures say I only managed 1!
As far as I can tell they must only scan a small sample at the mail centre, and it's out of that we are measured on.
We're still on the old PDAs which probably doesn't help matters if I can't scan the ones they scanned, especially is they've got (even more) crumpled up in the bag.
Also, how do they even know we definitely got them that day, what if they were allocated to a walkers duty but were oversized and went out on the packet van? Unless these are scanned at EVERY point in their journey, management haven't got a leg to stand on if they want to start the 3Cs with us over theses.
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Scan % and coaching
The confusion over the 2D barcodes goes further. We have been coached to scan only the type 9 (sqaure) barcodes that you see on packets and some larger letters, but to ignore the type 29 barcodes which are longer and seem to be found on many letters. But, I have read that fellow posties on this forum are scanning every barcode in sight. There needs to be some sort of national communication so posties know exactly what barcodes we should be scanning.
I've found this image on Google which shows all the different barcodes you'll see on mail.

I've found this image on Google which shows all the different barcodes you'll see on mail.

-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Scan % and coaching
but that said.....even if I go scanning everything in sight this week I have been seen at 0% so somethings a miss somewere
yeah were told to ignore letters,,,,recently a council mail drop had the type 29 on each letter.....we have about 600-700 council houses on our 2 walks so I tried the 1st street,,,,,jesus you`d be out along time scanning letters like that LOL
But still cant understand the 0%,,,,,,1 scan would take me above 0.....and I know I scan quite a few each day
yeah were told to ignore letters,,,,recently a council mail drop had the type 29 on each letter.....we have about 600-700 council houses on our 2 walks so I tried the 1st street,,,,,jesus you`d be out along time scanning letters like that LOL
But still cant understand the 0%,,,,,,1 scan would take me above 0.....and I know I scan quite a few each day
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Scan % and coaching
as you may experience, and i hope you won't, you may be conduct coded so get your colleague to make a statement to the effect of they saw you successfully scan x amount of items on y day and you do similar.
honestly, you cannot trust RM to ask your colleague to confirm your version of events so go in ready to blitz them.
honestly, you cannot trust RM to ask your colleague to confirm your version of events so go in ready to blitz them.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Scan % and coaching
How do they know who is supposed to scan each packet? Who does oversized packets? How big is oversized? When he says you had 4 and scanned 2, are they oversized ones?
What about van shares? My duty has a frame but I only deliver to half of it. The manager has no idea which houses I deliver to and which my partner does. Some sections even change day to day, (whoever gets back to the van first does it). Who knows which failed scans were mine? Do they even bother looking to see which day it was and if the floater did it, or just blame the duty holder?
Lapsed duties is another minefield. I bet the manager has no idea who delivered any particular house on any given day.
Load of guff.
What about van shares? My duty has a frame but I only deliver to half of it. The manager has no idea which houses I deliver to and which my partner does. Some sections even change day to day, (whoever gets back to the van first does it). Who knows which failed scans were mine? Do they even bother looking to see which day it was and if the floater did it, or just blame the duty holder?
Lapsed duties is another minefield. I bet the manager has no idea who delivered any particular house on any given day.
Load of guff.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12189
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Scan % and coaching
It might be worth double checking that the PDA has sent all data at the end of the walk
-
Anonymouse
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Scan % and coaching
I got pulled up for having a really low scan rate for the 2d barcodes too. My pda hardly ever scanned them (the new one is much better) unless they were on a hard flat surface.
The issue was halted when my manager took over half my round as a favour since i had a funeral to go to and he couldn't get them to scan either
The issue was halted when my manager took over half my round as a favour since i had a funeral to go to and he couldn't get them to scan either
-
UsernameAlreadyInUse
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 06 Jul 2015, 00:10
- Gender: Female
Scan % and coaching
It's not all in our hands. For example, Costco mail is all barcoded. Some of it scans and some of it doesn't. It all depends on what exactly the mail centre has scanned.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12189
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Scan % and coaching
If it's Tracked or specials then absolutely everything will have been scanned at both the inward MC and outward MC (or RDC if it's a bulk load of Tracked). Everything else only gets scanned at the outward MCUsernameAlreadyInUse wrote:It's not all in our hands. For example, Costco mail is all barcoded. Some of it scans and some of it doesn't. It all depends on what exactly the mail centre has scanned.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Scan % and coaching
Just because it get's scanned in a mail centre does not mean it will always scan on delivery the sun and the rain play a factor here as well as barcode's damaged in the york sleeves when half an engine block get's thrown on them!SpacePhoenix wrote:If it's Tracked or specials then absolutely everything will have been scanned at both the inward MC and outward MC (or RDC if it's a bulk load of Tracked). Everything else only gets scanned at the outward MCUsernameAlreadyInUse wrote:It's not all in our hands. For example, Costco mail is all barcoded. Some of it scans and some of it doesn't. It all depends on what exactly the mail centre has scanned.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Scan % and coaching
I know you've been pulled in CMan but I personally wouldn't be too bothered about it. Just a case of an Over Zealous DOM with nothing better to do!
We've all read posts on here about Posties being pulled up for various "So Called" Performance Standards...... Driving erratically and setting that bloody beeper off = Never been mentioned in our DO........ Returning Tracked Items because you hadn't tried EVERY neighbour in the street = Never been raised in our DO........ Minor things like not wearing RM footwear or a Hi-Vis = Not a Major problem in our DO.
We're by no means a Perfect Office but I think our DOM probably realises there's BIGGER problems to sort out. And Generally we get the job done without too many dramas. Perhaps your DOMs being lent on from above, about his Office's Performance, and rather than sort out the underlying problem he got a bee in his bonnet about your 2D scanning. Does it effect their Bonuses now? I know the percentage of Tracked Deliveries used to be an element. I wouldn't stress about it mate.....Just an IT problem!
We're by no means a Perfect Office but I think our DOM probably realises there's BIGGER problems to sort out. And Generally we get the job done without too many dramas. Perhaps your DOMs being lent on from above, about his Office's Performance, and rather than sort out the underlying problem he got a bee in his bonnet about your 2D scanning. Does it effect their Bonuses now? I know the percentage of Tracked Deliveries used to be an element. I wouldn't stress about it mate.....Just an IT problem!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Scan % and coaching
Hey thanks dorset....I wasn't overly stressed....yeah think its something to do with his bonus....hence figures everyday...an coaching.
An I agree I think its an i.t problem,,,,going from near 100% 1 day to zero the next LOL.
An I agree I think its an i.t problem,,,,going from near 100% 1 day to zero the next LOL.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Scan % and coaching
If its the old PDAs then half of them are knackered and need new batteries. Some won't even scan the long tracked barcode.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Scan % and coaching
nah mate...as I originally posted,,,its the new scanners....give them the due they do seem to pick up most scans,,,even unwanted codes LOL