ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New PDAs and customers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by WOBBLY »

Anyone else wonder what numpty designed the 'customer signature screen'? For those who sign without resting their hand down it's great, but for those customers who do rest their hand (and as such touch the screen with their hand) the pen doesn't work :mad I'm sick of having to advise the customers "please don't touch the screen with your hand or the pen won't work" Its a bad design that needs addressing, drives me nuts!!
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by LaggyBand »

It'll be overlooked as a non-issue because you're only supposed to be passing the pen to the customer.

But yeah, its like, "Morning, I just need a signature for this parcel, love...DONT TOUCH THE F-ING SCREEN!!!"
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by ScousePostie »

I've had this numerous times now. Most people just say to me, that pen isn't working and use their finger instead. Funny really.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

New PDAs and customers

Post by fb1969 »

Not seen a new PDA yet, but I've always had this problem with the old one. That and them turning round as "it was upside down" - no it wasn't, but it is now!
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by LaggyBand »

Anyone accidentally pressed navigation then had to endure constant reminders of how you're driving in a restricted area.. Annoying
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4109
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by ted_e_bear »

Yeah get this myself, mainly with the older generation who rest their hand on the screen then take ages cos it doesn't actually look like their signature. Can't really say just do a squiggle no one gives a fook what it looks like !
Spigot bearing
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 16:22
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by Spigot bearing »

Terrible machines, faults galore.
stan_lers
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by stan_lers »

I get this with at least half the people who try to use them. Most of the time they write, see that nothing is happening, but keep on going and then hand it back and ask "did it work?".

Also I've had so many items where I scan them, post them through, and then the barcode has mysteriously disappeared from the PDA. I know I haven't accidentally pressed something, because it's done it when the PDA has been sat on the charger in the van. Not to mention the right side scan button randomly doubling up as a volume button (which doesn't actually do anything to turn down the distress beacon beep that can be heard in a 3 mile radius).
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12189
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Don't know about the delivery mode but in the modes we use them in MCs, as soon as you scan an item it sends the data off unless it has lost the signal
swindonandy
Posts: 126
Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 16:26
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by swindonandy »

stan_lers wrote:Not to mention the right side scan button randomly doubling up as a volume button (which doesn't actually do anything to turn down the distress beacon beep that can be heard in a 3 mile radius).
Hold down the power button at the top till the menu appears. Along the bottom of the Off/Reset etc is on the left a "mute" icon. Press this.
Spigot bearing
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 16:22
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by Spigot bearing »

stan_lers wrote:I get this with at least half the people who try to use them. Most of the time they write, see that nothing is happening, but keep on going and then hand it back and ask "did it work?".

Also I've had so many items where I scan them, post them through, and then the barcode has mysteriously disappeared from the PDA. I know I haven't accidentally pressed something, because it's done it when the PDA has been sat on the charger in the van. Not to mention the right side scan button randomly doubling up as a volume button (which doesn't actually do anything to turn down the distress beacon beep that can be heard in a 3 mile radius).
Too true, scanning regs you need to count how many appear on the screen as on a few occasions I've had some beep but not show up on screen! WTF is going on with these sh1te things?
Robotpostie
Posts: 11
Joined: 03 Jun 2010, 18:18
Gender: Male

New PDAs and customers

Post by Robotpostie »

Yeah I had that with the bar code number disappearing off the screen before getting chance to hit submit. Also some of ours in our office including mine eventually pack up after loads of rain, and won't switch back on or switches on then switches off again. Think rain gets in by battery and is OK after drying out.