ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Changeover driving and uniform

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
abzo
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
Gender: Male

Changeover driving and uniform

Post by abzo »

Hi all, I just wanted to know what happens during the changeover driving assessment. I was told it is for 3 hours so will it be 3 hours of continuous driving or will it include other things like doing safety checks etc. Also what type of van do they use for the assessment as i heard from some it could be a long wheel base van to a small cdv. And how long does it take for your first uniform to arrive, I started last week and ordered it on my first day and was told it would be delivered to my delivery office within 3 - 4 working days. But as of yet i haven't received anything. Would appreciate it a lot if anyone can help me out in regards to these questions i have. :thumbup
tinkz
Posts: 44
Joined: 08 Mar 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Changeover driving and uniform

Post by tinkz »

abzo wrote:Hi all, I just wanted to know what happens during the changeover driving assessment. I was told it is for 3 hours so will it be 3 hours of continuous driving or will it include other things like doing safety checks etc. Also what type of van do they use for the assessment as i heard from some it could be a long wheel base van to a small cdv. And how long does it take for your first uniform to arrive, I started last week and ordered it on my first day and was told it would be delivered to my delivery office within 3 - 4 working days. But as of yet i haven't received anything. Would appreciate it a lot if anyone can help me out in regards to these questions i have. :thumbup
It's not a lot of driving more theory/legal stuff there's a video and questions, They will go over the pmt1 form and the van record book etc...what van you go in depends on what they've booked you in for, mine was lwb urban and rural one so we went out in a big van
Your uniform may be sat in Dom's office...I ordered a new jacket on the 19th online and they gave me it today if that's any help
trevjim
Posts: 170
Joined: 05 Dec 2012, 20:04
Gender: Male

Changeover driving and uniform

Post by trevjim »

i did half an hour in office and half hour driving, just chatting to the trainer about football etc. its a waste of time really
abzo
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
Gender: Male

Changeover driving and uniform

Post by abzo »

Thanks for your help people, hopefully it goes well. But I hope they don't put me on driving duties straight away, don't get me wrong I enjoy driving but if theres ever an accident it will mean me getting the blame, the points on my license, high insurance and possibly being dismissed/ prosecuted. Its much better walking/pushing a trolley due to the less risks involved. And as for the uniform I'll try the managers office, hopefully its there if not I already sent a message to dimensions so they may know its whereabouts lol
Spigot bearing
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 16:22
Gender: Male

Changeover driving and uniform

Post by Spigot bearing »

Drivers are ripped off, no extra pay for a shed load extra grief.
DocketLefty
Posts: 112
Joined: 03 Jul 2015, 22:06
Gender: Male

Changeover driving and uniform

Post by DocketLefty »

No one fails their driving assessment.
abzo
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
Gender: Male

Changeover driving and uniform

Post by abzo »

Just finished my changeover driving today and was scored as a medium risk. The instructor that was with me said at the beginning it looked like i would be a high risk driver. But in the end I got the hang of it slightly. Unlike my other colleagues who were put in cdvs for their changeover i was put in an spv which is a larger van than the others so was a little difficult to drive.