ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Retirement age / free shares

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
OscarPanda
Posts: 23
Joined: 28 Nov 2012, 14:35
Gender: Female

Retirement age / free shares

Post by OscarPanda »

Help please - I am having trouble finding out whether I can keep my free shares if I leave / retire from RM once I hit 60.

I know that if I 'retire', I CAN keep them but what IS the retirement age?

Thanks :d'oh!
Last edited by OscarPanda on 18 Aug 2016, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
pants123

Retiement age / free shares

Post by pants123 »

I know that if you retire... you will keep your shares..

You will been seen as a good leaver...

As for retirement age.. I think you can retire at 60..

But I'm not sure if you leave with your full pension as it's before the normal age for retiring...
Last edited by pants123 on 17 Aug 2016, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
OscarPanda
Posts: 23
Joined: 28 Nov 2012, 14:35
Gender: Female

Retiement age / free shares

Post by OscarPanda »

What IS the retirement age? Is it 60? (My question is not about my pension - you can take that any time after age 55...)
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6694
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Retiement age / free shares

Post by RobertT »

If you are 60 or over and leave, you are deemed to be retiring and a 'good leaver' and you get to keep your shares. As far as I know it is not dependent on taking your pension, although there is no advantage in deferring the NRA60 element of the RMPP past 60 anyway.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
OscarPanda
Posts: 23
Joined: 28 Nov 2012, 14:35
Gender: Female

Retiement age / free shares

Post by OscarPanda »

Thank you - so 60 is retirement age then - that's all I need to know! :Very Happy
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6694
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Retiement age / free shares

Post by RobertT »

OscarPanda wrote:Thank you - so 60 is retirement age then - that's all I need to know! :Very Happy
As far as the shares are concerned, yes.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Retiement age / free shares

Post by bustedflush »

OscarPanda wrote:Thank you - so 60 is retirement age then - that's all I need to know! :Very Happy
Get out ASAP - it'll be 92 within a few years.... :crazy:
OscarPanda
Posts: 23
Joined: 28 Nov 2012, 14:35
Gender: Female

Retiement age / free shares

Post by OscarPanda »

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Retiement age / free shares

Post by greengiant »

If retirement age remains at 65, I'll need to work till 2042 :sad:
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Retiement age / free shares

Post by daveyeff »

depending on your age now, the retirement age is 66 (to be in receipt of state pension). obviously you can leave when you want, but you wont get anything off the state till you are at least 65.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Retiement age / free shares

Post by daveyeff »

greengiant wrote:If retirement age remains at 65, I'll need to work till 2042 :sad:
by 2042 due to medical breakthroughs they will have discovered how to extend your life till you are 147. therefore they will increase the retirement age to 131. :Very Happy
windermeredave
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 265
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 13:37
Gender: Male

Retiement age / free shares

Post by windermeredave »

Goes up to 66 in 2020
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Retiement age / free shares

Post by daveyeff »

aye....as I said, depending on your age now.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Retiement age / free shares

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

greengiant wrote:If retirement age remains at 65, I'll need to work till 2042 :sad:

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your retirement year is 2044

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Check your State Pension age
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6694
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Retiement age / free shares

Post by RobertT »

State pension age for women is in the process of being increased from 60 to 65. It started in 2010 and will end in 2018. From then on it will increase for both genders as follows:

From 65 to 66 between 2018 and 2020.

From 66 to 67 between 2026 and 2028.

And from 67 to 68 between 2044 and 2046.

There is legislation concerning the increases from 65 to 66 and 66 to 67, so they are written in stone and shouldn’t change. But the change from 67 to 68 isn’t, and there are proposals to bring that forward by 10 years.

The change in state pension age will also affect the earliest age it will be possible to access any other pension you may have like the RMPP or the RMDCP. Because the plan is increase the age of access from 55 to 57 in 2028 and then link it to 10 years below state pension age from then on.

However there is currently a review going on which is due to conclude midway through 2017 which could change things. There will also be further reviews every 5 years going forwards

Personally I’m late 40’s and have seen my SPA increase from 65 to 66.2 and now to 67, and it may well rise again to 68! But many people in their twenties or younger are likely to have to wait until at least 70.

My advice would be to take your retirement saving seriously and from as young an age as possible. Put as much aside as you can afford and take advantage of all the ‘free money’ available to you. So always join any company pension you might have access to and at the very least pay in as much as it takes to get the maximum employer contribution, but preferably more. Give yourself the best chance possible of retiring earlier than state pension age.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here