ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Difficult duty for new starter.
-
Beckilovesme
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 16:34
- Gender: Female
Difficult duty for new starter.
Hi guys, was just wondering if it's normal to put the new postie on the route that no one else wants?
I started a couple weeks ago and my duty is so difficult for me. The walking is great, I could happily walk for hours on end, however my duty is 90% stairs up and down tall estates. Takes me forever to finish and is so overwhelming, I was so exhausted my foot gave way today and I fell down a set of stairs.
I am not afraid of hard work as I used to be a labourer but I am really struggling with it and feel like I am incapable of doing it anymore, I am in so much pain everyday but I do not want to give up. I was told by my trainer that all the new people that got put on that route left pretty quickly.
So I was wondering if it was normal to put the new guy on such a difficult duty right away or if it's more common to put them on a challenging but slightly less athletic route?
I started a couple weeks ago and my duty is so difficult for me. The walking is great, I could happily walk for hours on end, however my duty is 90% stairs up and down tall estates. Takes me forever to finish and is so overwhelming, I was so exhausted my foot gave way today and I fell down a set of stairs.
I am not afraid of hard work as I used to be a labourer but I am really struggling with it and feel like I am incapable of doing it anymore, I am in so much pain everyday but I do not want to give up. I was told by my trainer that all the new people that got put on that route left pretty quickly.
So I was wondering if it was normal to put the new guy on such a difficult duty right away or if it's more common to put them on a challenging but slightly less athletic route?
-
Beckilovesme
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 16:34
- Gender: Female
Difficult duty for new starter.
Yeah you are right, it is a catch 22, I don't wanna seem like I can't handle it and I'm weak but my round is taking me 6hrs, 5 of which is spent up and down stairs in an area which is all estates or tower blocks. I have work tomorrow and dread the thought of going in and going through it all again, as I'm in bed writing this now my legs and foot are throbbing and is so tender to put weight on them. I was going to pack it in today as I didn't feel like I could finish the round, I was exhausted, dripping in sweat and limping, the dude at the off licence I went into after work just looked at me and gave me a free scratch card and said "maybe your luck will change" lol. I must've looked a wreck.
My manager seems ok but he has an attitude of "do you want this job or not?". I had to have a day off because a family member was taken into hospital in the night and that's what he said to me. I am going to mention tomorrow that I am struggling and see what he says but I'm not feeling good about it.
I wouldn't mind a longer route if it meant less stairs.
My manager seems ok but he has an attitude of "do you want this job or not?". I had to have a day off because a family member was taken into hospital in the night and that's what he said to me. I am going to mention tomorrow that I am struggling and see what he says but I'm not feeling good about it.
I wouldn't mind a longer route if it meant less stairs.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Difficult duty for new starter.
You have to be responsible for your own health & safety at the end of the day, it's no good doing what you did working to the point of exhaustion and hurting yourself, as that's only going to end badly for you.
Make sure the accident is recorded in ERICA. Take the time off work to recover. Be more sensible when you return to work and speak to your manager if the workload is too much. If you can't complete it in your duty time, either cut-off or agree what you will do on overtime.
Make sure the accident is recorded in ERICA. Take the time off work to recover. Be more sensible when you return to work and speak to your manager if the workload is too much. If you can't complete it in your duty time, either cut-off or agree what you will do on overtime.
-
Rastermaster
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 08 Aug 2013, 21:10
- Gender: Male
Difficult duty for new starter.
As norm said, if you are in pain and forcing yourself to complete the delivery you need to go and see your doctor and get some time off to recover. I remember when I first started, I had a lot of problems with my feet and knees because I've got flat feet. I just had to take time off work and see a physio to get proper insoles in my shoes. I can't wear the standard royal mail shoes as they destroy my feet and give me shin splints. Also if you are not using a trolley you should try and rotate the bag on different shoulders or you will end up having issues with one side of your body. At the end of the day it is your body and you need to take care of yourself.
Also have you considered applying for another role in a different office? I'm not sure if there is a time limit before you reapply but I've found the deliveries in different offices vary quite a bit.
Also have you considered applying for another role in a different office? I'm not sure if there is a time limit before you reapply but I've found the deliveries in different offices vary quite a bit.
-
mjt120
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 53
- Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
- Gender: Male
Difficult duty for new starter.
Don't be to hard on yourself your very new and your fitness and speed will come over the next few months. I think most of us have been where you are. I wouldn't be to hasty to pack the job in just yet.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Difficult duty for new starter.
In the last three re-picks I've chosen the "worst" duty in the office.
I've been told I have "confrontation" issues.
I'm not really sure what that means.
I've been told I have "confrontation" issues.
I'm not really sure what that means.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Difficult duty for new starter.
fishtank wrote:In the last three re-picks I've chosen the "worst" duty in the office.
I've been told I have "confrontation" issues.
I'm not really sure what that means.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Difficult duty for new starter.
some DOM's are their own worse enemy.
yes they all have walks to cover that no one else wants to do, but why give it to a newbie and have him leave the job within 2 months max and go back to not having enough staff.
the DOM in my office, see that a new starter will take time to get fit and up to speed, so our training walks are not the easiest but they are doable, and so far only one of our new starters in the last year has left.
they need to get six weeks under their belts before being put on sh1t walks.
yes they all have walks to cover that no one else wants to do, but why give it to a newbie and have him leave the job within 2 months max and go back to not having enough staff.
the DOM in my office, see that a new starter will take time to get fit and up to speed, so our training walks are not the easiest but they are doable, and so far only one of our new starters in the last year has left.
they need to get six weeks under their belts before being put on sh1t walks.
-
Kick the Bucket
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
- Gender: Male
Difficult duty for new starter.
Hahah what?Zarkandar wrote:I hear a lot about managers, fortunately mine is great,
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Difficult duty for new starter.
Royal Mail managers should not be putting us through physical torture, which is exactly what they are doing to most of us on a daily basis. Without doubt, most managers knowingly ignore the obvious health and safety issues associated with poorly planned, much too long walks. This is absolutely scandalous for a supposedly unionised industry.
-
Professor Chaos
- Posts: 30
- Joined: 21 Jul 2016, 14:58
- Gender: Male
Difficult duty for new starter.
Two word : cut offBeckilovesme wrote:Hi guys, was just wondering if it's normal to put the new postie on the route that no one else wants?
I started a couple weeks ago and my duty is so difficult for me. The walking is great, I could happily walk for hours on end, however my duty is 90% stairs up and down tall estates. Takes me forever to finish and is so overwhelming, I was so exhausted my foot gave way today and I fell down a set of stairs.
I am not afraid of hard work as I used to be a labourer but I am really struggling with it and feel like I am incapable of doing it anymore, I am in so much pain everyday but I do not want to give up. I was told by my trainer that all the new people that got put on that route left pretty quickly.
So I was wondering if it was normal to put the new guy on such a difficult duty right away or if it's more common to put them on a challenging but slightly less athletic route?
-
UsernameAlreadyInUse
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 06 Jul 2015, 00:10
- Gender: Female
Difficult duty for new starter.
Going back to your original question - yes, it it is perfectly normal for a newbie to be put on the walk that nobody else wants. It happens all the time. You do toughen up after a while.
-
Beckilovesme
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 16:34
- Gender: Female
Difficult duty for new starter.
Thank you so much for the advice guys. I decided to speak to my manager and he said that he will see if I can go on another walk but there won't be anyone to show me the route, I don't mind, I'm sure I can figure it out. Hopefully this will happen next week as I have 5 days on the trot to look forward to.
It was so hard again for me today, the load was light so I was slightly quicker but after just two housing estate blocks (not even a quarter of my route) I got severe shooting and stabbing pains in my right leg and my foot was so tender. In a Saturday everyone goes home early and there wasn't anyone to help me, so I rested for a while after each block and chatted to a mate on the phone to distract me from the exhaustion and pain. I called my out of hours doctor and was told to make an appointment if it continues next week.
I get the whole thing of breaking the newbies in to toughen them up but I think it makes more sense to gradually build them up to harder and harder duties so their fitness and stamina can increase and, like you guys said, to not scare them off after a couple weeks. I was ready to throw the towel in today that's for sure.
It was so hard again for me today, the load was light so I was slightly quicker but after just two housing estate blocks (not even a quarter of my route) I got severe shooting and stabbing pains in my right leg and my foot was so tender. In a Saturday everyone goes home early and there wasn't anyone to help me, so I rested for a while after each block and chatted to a mate on the phone to distract me from the exhaustion and pain. I called my out of hours doctor and was told to make an appointment if it continues next week.
I get the whole thing of breaking the newbies in to toughen them up but I think it makes more sense to gradually build them up to harder and harder duties so their fitness and stamina can increase and, like you guys said, to not scare them off after a couple weeks. I was ready to throw the towel in today that's for sure.
-
Beckilovesme
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 16:34
- Gender: Female
Difficult duty for new starter.
Oh wow Zarkandar, that sounds horrible for you. Are you any better now?
After what you have said I am gonna go to A&E tomorrow to have it looked at. I injured this foot before in January from falling off a bike, it was just a sprain but maybe the exercise is too much for it right now.
After what you have said I am gonna go to A&E tomorrow to have it looked at. I injured this foot before in January from falling off a bike, it was just a sprain but maybe the exercise is too much for it right now.
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
Difficult duty for new starter.
The first 6 to 12 weeks are the hardest, only take out what you can deliver in your time. Ask for some to be covered by someone else. But you must do this in plenty of time, don't leave it till you're about to leave the office. You'll be left on the same duty for about 6 weeks so you will get quicker. Taking time off in the first year is frowned upon as you are on trial for that long.
Have an Epsom salt bath to help with muscle soreness, I visited a sports physio to keep me moving when I first started, it really helped with tight muscles etc. I can now use the rm yds trainers with a thicker liner with no problems.
Don't offer to work your days off or do overtime you need that recovery time.
Join the union asap and speak to the rep if needed.
But it really is about getting used to the job and the methods used, you will be amazed how quickly you adapt and speed up. The last new starter at our place took nearly 2 hours longer than me on the same walk but he now after 3 months is nearly up to speed and that's not running around but using proper methods.
Don't get talked into door stepping and signing for packages as you are on trial, you will get there, give yourself some time.
Have an Epsom salt bath to help with muscle soreness, I visited a sports physio to keep me moving when I first started, it really helped with tight muscles etc. I can now use the rm yds trainers with a thicker liner with no problems.
Don't offer to work your days off or do overtime you need that recovery time.
Join the union asap and speak to the rep if needed.
But it really is about getting used to the job and the methods used, you will be amazed how quickly you adapt and speed up. The last new starter at our place took nearly 2 hours longer than me on the same walk but he now after 3 months is nearly up to speed and that's not running around but using proper methods.
Don't get talked into door stepping and signing for packages as you are on trial, you will get there, give yourself some time.