Hi, I have been a Royal Mail employee for about 4 years now and recently I was asked to work at another office for a week because they were short staffed. I said I wouldn't mind helping them out as the office wasn't to far away. I spent the week working there and managed to do 20 hours over time because they were short staffed and obviously needed the work. I signed for my hours everyday and the manager promised me that I would be paid the following week.
Well since I left that office and moved back to my usual office I still haven't been paid for the overtime I did. That is the extra 20 hours which works out to be quite a lot of money to me. I was expected that money to paid into my account the following week as I need the money for rent and bills etc. I currently live on my own and I am basically struggling to pay my rent and bills each month so its important that I get paid.
It's been over a month now and the boss in my office keeps saying that he will sort it out and you will be paid next week etc but I've still not been paid. I am finding myself getting really angry and frustrated about it. I feel like I've been mugged. I've worked for a few companies over the years and I've always been paid for the hours I've worked. I just think its disgraceful how they can treat people this way when I was going out my way to do them a favour. I definitely won't be doing it again if this is the thanks you get.
I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if there is anything else I can do like speak to someone higher up or make an official complaint? I've spoke to my union rep at my office but yet nothing has been done about it, just false promises. I'm tempted to drive down to the office in question and kick the managers door down but I'd probably get arrested.
Thanks
Mike
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Unpaid overtime
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Unpaid overtime
I would contact your union rep, so you can say you've made reasonable efforts to get it resolved.
If that gets nowhere, send an email to justsayit@royalmail.com making a them aware of your hours worked, your home office and pay number and they should pick up on it. It's simply not acceptable to expect people to work for nothing.
If that gets nowhere, send an email to justsayit@royalmail.com making a them aware of your hours worked, your home office and pay number and they should pick up on it. It's simply not acceptable to expect people to work for nothing.
-
Rastermaster
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 08 Aug 2013, 21:10
- Gender: Male
Unpaid overtime
Thank you I will speak to my union rep. I just find it really frustrating :(
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Unpaid overtime
Do as norm says, email Moya and explain the situation as you have done in your first post. Make sure to 'CC' it to your manager as well, and marvel at how quickly the desk-bound nonce gets it sorted once he realises you've sent it to the cunning Canadian (should there be a 't' in there somewhere?).
-
Rastermaster
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 08 Aug 2013, 21:10
- Gender: Male
Unpaid overtime
Okay thanks, hopefully it will be sorted soon. Cheers for the replies!
-
ej88
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
- Gender: Female
Unpaid overtime
I had this problem and unfortunately i found i had to just keep going in every week and basically pestering them! Keep annoying them about it and youll eventually get it
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Unpaid overtime
Shameful
-
Rastermaster
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 08 Aug 2013, 21:10
- Gender: Male
Unpaid overtime
I've asked my manager about 5 times now and every time he tells me he will sort it out and yet its never on my payslip. I feel I need to notch it up a level to get it sorted asap as I get the impression that they are not that bothered. I'll go and see my union rep and if he doesn't sort it I'll have to send a few emails and fill out a grievance form. I just find it really annoying more than anything, it's like speaking to a brick wall.
Thanks
Mike
Thanks
Mike
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Unpaid overtime
Small claims court for non payment of wages? There is no excuse for not paying people for work done. Pity you need to money, if people told them to poke it until they got what they are owed the job would fall down big time.