ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I have a 4 week sick note as I have fractured my thumb. My hand is in plaster and I can't drive. Lino wants to know if I can do alternative duties in the office eg in the locker or prep work.

Where do I stand please????

I can't believe they are harassing me like this when have been signed off.
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by Ricardo44 »

You don't have to do it. They are trying it on because that's what they are told to do by their managers higher up.

If you don't want any confrontation with them just put it in writing that you are refusing to come in on light duties and will be staying at home until your GP decides you are fit for work. Then send it to your DOM by special delivery.

Advise your rep of what is happening.

They will soon back off. Stand your ground. There is nothing they can do.

GP's word is final and cannot be overruled by anyone.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Ricardo44 wrote:You don't have to do it. They are trying it on because that's what they are told to do by their managers higher up.

If you don't want any confrontation with them just put it in writing that you are refusing to come in on light duties and will be staying at home until your GP decides you are fit for work. Then send it to your DOM by special delivery.

Advise your rep of what is happening.

They will soon back off. Stand your ground. There is nothing they can do.

GP's word is final and cannot be overruled by anyone.
Thank you Ricardo44. That's very helpful. I get really anxious in these situations so to put it in writing would be much better for me. Thanks again.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by rehabron »

Ricardo44 wrote:You don't have to do it. They are trying it on because that's what they are told to do by their managers higher up.

If you don't want any confrontation with them just put it in writing that you are refusing to come in on light duties and will be staying at home until your GP decides you are fit for work. Then send it to your DOM by special delivery.

Advise your rep of what is happening.

They will soon back off. Stand your ground. There is nothing they can do.

GP's word is final and cannot be overruled by anyone.
http://www.personneltoday.com/hr/govern ... fit-notes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This link is worth a read :Boo hoo!
LukeyBoy
Posts: 47
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by LukeyBoy »

I was off as 'long term sick' and as far as I aware ATOS can overrule a GP's fit note.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by Bahia Feliz »

LukeyBoy wrote:I was off as 'long term sick' and as far as I aware ATOS can overrule a GP's fit note.
They can't and we don't use ATOS anymore do we?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
LukeyBoy wrote:I was off as 'long term sick' and as far as I aware ATOS can overrule a GP's fit note.
They can't and we don't use ATOS anymore do we?

They can, and they changed their name to OH Assist but are still the same company.

As per Rehabs link http://www.personneltoday.com/hr/govern ... fit-notes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The guidance states: “The assessment about whether your employee is not fit for work or may be fit for work (and any other advice in the fit note) is classed as advice, and it is for employers to determine whether or not to accept it.

“Occasionally, you may believe that your employee is not fit for work when they have been assessed as fit for work by their doctor, or you may think that your employee could do some work when they have been assessed as ‘not fit for work’ by their doctor.”

The guidance continues: “In situations like this you as the employer are within your rights to gather other evidence about your employee’s fitness for work from other doctors or healthcare professionals. You can choose to give this other evidence precedence over the advice in the fit note.

“Your employee may disagree with you, and you may need to demonstrate to an employment tribunal why the alternative source of evidence was more acceptable to you than the fit note.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by rehabron »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
LukeyBoy wrote:I was off as 'long term sick' and as far as I aware ATOS can overrule a GP's fit note.
They can't and we don't use ATOS anymore do we?
RM can disregard a GP " fit note" ( see link provided) they would then seek advice from OH Assist ( formally known as ATOS) for their recommendations but this also does not have to be accepted by RM but ignoring GP and Oh Assist they run a severe risk should an aggravation to the medical condition results and personal injury claims for compensation ensue. Dependant on the medical condition which is keeping the employee off work RM by paying the employee their full wages can request the employee to attend work and do absolutely NOTHING rather than have the employee out of their vision when at home. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more regular and a reality.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

The more I think about it the more I am inclined to tell them to do one. I have a nasty break and my hand is in plaster. I've been told to elevate it and rest as much as possible. I'm not allowed to drive and I've only got one functioning hand.
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by DiamondSmiles »

peshwaarinaan wrote:The more I think about it the more I am inclined to tell them to do one. I have a nasty break and my hand is in plaster. I've been told to elevate it and rest as much as possible. I'm not allowed to drive and I've only got one functioning hand.
You must get your rep involved before doing anything more. Very important. It's what you pay your subs for every week so use them.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

DiamondSmiles wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:The more I think about it the more I am inclined to tell them to do one. I have a nasty break and my hand is in plaster. I've been told to elevate it and rest as much as possible. I'm not allowed to drive and I've only got one functioning hand.
You must get your rep involved before doing anything more. Very important. It's what you pay your subs for every week so use them.

Will do. Thank you.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by rehabron »

peshwaarinaan wrote:The more I think about it the more I am inclined to tell them to do one. I have a nasty break and my hand is in plaster. I've been told to elevate it and rest as much as possible. I'm not allowed to drive and I've only got one functioning hand.
Tell manager that before you agree a RTW on another duty you wish to be referred to OH Assist for a second opinion. This will be done over the telephone and explain your fears about returning to work and the advice given to elevate and rest. If the plaster is on your more predominate hand then your hand would be unused to the work that RM requires. You will need to put up a strong case to OH Assist for not returning to lighter duties for eg. due to obstructions with office furniture the likelihood of you coming in contact with your fractured hand. There is also how you would be placed in embarrassing situation when using the toilet.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

rehabron wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
LukeyBoy wrote:I was off as 'long term sick' and as far as I aware ATOS can overrule a GP's fit note.
They can't and we don't use ATOS anymore do we?
RM can disregard a GP " fit note" ( see link provided) they would then seek advice from OH Assist ( formally known as ATOS) for their recommendations but this also does not have to be accepted by RM but ignoring GP and Oh Assist they run a severe risk should an aggravation to the medical condition results and personal injury claims for compensation ensue. Dependant on the medical condition which is keeping the employee off work RM by paying the employee their full wages can request the employee to attend work and do absolutely NOTHING rather than have the employee out of their vision when at home. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more regular and a reality.
I thought that too. If they insist on you working when you've been signed off and then you make your injury worse then RM are leaving themselves wide open.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

rehabron wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
LukeyBoy wrote:I was off as 'long term sick' and as far as I aware ATOS can overrule a GP's fit note.
They can't and we don't use ATOS anymore do we?
RM can disregard a GP " fit note" ( see link provided) they would then seek advice from OH Assist ( formally known as ATOS) for their recommendations but this also does not have to be accepted by RM but ignoring GP and Oh Assist they run a severe risk should an aggravation to the medical condition results and personal injury claims for compensation ensue. Dependant on the medical condition which is keeping the employee off work RM by paying the employee their full wages can request the employee to attend work and do absolutely NOTHING rather than have the employee out of their vision when at home. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more regular and a reality.
I thought that too. If they insist on you working when you've been signed off and then you make your injury worse then RM are leaving themselves wide open.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Being asked to do light duties when signed off by GP?

Post by postslippete »

I think its outrageous that Royal Mail would even contemplate trying to force their employees to come in and work when they have a note from their doctor. Health & Safety at work is supposed to be the most important thing that we do. We get preached about it in every boring Work time learning session and then brain-dead managers ring up staff with valid sick notes asking them if they can come back to work?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.