ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
csnn84
Posts: 4
Joined: 06 Aug 2016, 15:08
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by csnn84 »

Good afternoon
Just seeking a bit of advise. I live on a very tight street in Derby and in the last 6 month, one of the street residents has started to bring his van home most evenings including like now for the weekend and just left on the road. This vehicle will now not be moved until Monday morning. The problem I am having is parking is very tight with most houses not having enough parking to cater for everyone who owns a car. The street has just a few spaces on the road for additional visits also, which caters for around 12 houses. The vans, especially the larger ones also block sunlight into the living room. Do the Royal Mail Derby actually allow there staff to take there vehicles home on a regular bases? Is there a reason behind this and if so could someone let me know if this is accepted by Royal Mail or if I can have any in stopping this. Especially at the weekends? We are due to have family of all ages pop round tomorrow and now we already have a issue with parking. I wouldn't as mind as much if he could leave one of there own cars at Royal Mail but to not have enough space to park there van off road with there private cars just causes trouble for others. I have spoke with other residents on the street and all have the same view. I am getting fed up at just looking at a big red van especially this time of year. Can anything be done?

Thanks Simon
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by datasaint »

In a word no. Where it's agreed with the delivery office manager staff are within their rights to drive a van to and from work. It's no different to somebody using a white van for their business, they could just as easily park on your street.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by Justanotherstar »

Do you own the street? if not stop moaning about someone who is doing nothing wrong...Think it's funny, You don't want him parking there but it's cool to have your family who don't live their take up the spaces? :chuckle

Some people just love to have a moan.
csnn84
Posts: 4
Joined: 06 Aug 2016, 15:08
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by csnn84 »

Justanotherstar wrote:Do you own the street? if not stop moaning about someone who is doing nothing wrong...Think it's funny, You don't want him parking there but it's cool to have your family who don't live their take up the spaces? :chuckle

Some people just love to have a moan.
Do I own the street? No of course not. Like I said, I was seeking advise you prat? But yes its annoying and I know the rules but wanted to know so what's the harm asking as I have been told otherwise!, especially for the weekends when employees are not at work the next day. Would you like to look at a dirty red van all evening and weekend? I guess the answer would be no. When you have old members of family who are in the 80s and cant walk far it isn't ideal. All members of the street have visitors for a few hours, one elderly neighbour has regular nurse visits. We don't hog the only road spaces we have by leaving there own car there for days if people do dare park there one evening.
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by Deadly »

The problem is that many Royal Mail delivery offices don't have room to park the vans overnight. The easy way for Royal Mail to deal with this is to let staff take the vans home, although there are rumours that this is going to be stopped so there is hope for you yet.
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by ebbzie »

? we have been told its a national thing now ---- no vans going to be taken home at night . so why are some offices still allowed?
buntin
Posts: 100
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 13:55
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by buntin »

because theres no room in the yard to leave them i think. No way could we fit 20 odd vans in our yard , probably 12 max i would think.
slinder123
Posts: 261
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 14:44
Gender: Female

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by slinder123 »

i use royal mail vans to travel to and from work 20 mile round trip each day its saving me a fortune thanks royal mail lol :cuppa
GT750rider
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 216
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by GT750rider »

slinder123 wrote:i use royal mail vans to travel to and from work 20 mile round trip each day its saving me a fortune thanks royal mail lol :cuppa
:Very Happy touché
hans solo
Posts: 3285
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by hans solo »

they better hope nothing happens to the van :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by Justanotherstar »

csnn84 wrote:
Justanotherstar wrote:Do you own the street? if not stop moaning about someone who is doing nothing wrong...Think it's funny, You don't want him parking there but it's cool to have your family who don't live their take up the spaces? :chuckle

Some people just love to have a moan.
Do I own the street? No of course not. Like I said, I was seeking advise you prat? But yes its annoying and I know the rules but wanted to know so what's the harm asking as I have been told otherwise!, especially for the weekends when employees are not at work the next day. Would you like to look at a dirty red van all evening and weekend? I guess the answer would be no. When you have old members of family who are in the 80s and cant walk far it isn't ideal. All members of the street have visitors for a few hours, one elderly neighbour has regular nurse visits. We don't hog the only road spaces we have by leaving there own car there for days if people do dare park there one evening.

Personally I don't spend my weekend looking out the window looking for things to moan about...he isn't hogging anything, i'm sure if you offer to pay his fuel & parking bill every week he'll take his car :roll:
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by Pompey Boy »

Our new DO ( or Mail Processing Unit as it will be called) is well short of parking spaces for RM vans and private vehicles, and they want to keep us sweet to move there. Wonder what might happen :hmmmm
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by eastie »

csnn84 wrote:Good afternoon
Just seeking a bit of advise. I live on a very tight street in Derby and in the last 6 month, one of the street residents has started to bring his van home most evenings including like now for the weekend and just left on the road. This vehicle will now not be moved until Monday morning. The problem I am having is parking is very tight with most houses not having enough parking to cater for everyone who owns a car. The street has just a few spaces on the road for additional visits also, which caters for around 12 houses. The vans, especially the larger ones also block sunlight into the living room. Do the Royal Mail Derby actually allow there staff to take there vehicles home on a regular bases? Is there a reason behind this and if so could someone let me know if this is accepted by Royal Mail or if I can have any in stopping this. Especially at the weekends? We are due to have family of all ages pop round tomorrow and now we already have a issue with parking. I wouldn't as mind as much if he could leave one of there own cars at Royal Mail but to not have enough space to park there van off road with there private cars just causes trouble for others. I have spoke with other residents on the street and all have the same view. I am getting fed up at just looking at a big red van especially this time of year. Can anything be done?

Thanks Simon
Is this a wind up ??
If posties do O/T and the Delivery office shuts at 2pm and he finishes after that time either at his own office or O/T for another Delivery office , where does he put the van.
Answer is he has to take it home.
He has as much right to park it there as one of your party does.
Does that answer the question :roll:
csnn84
Posts: 4
Joined: 06 Aug 2016, 15:08
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by csnn84 »

Saving money? A whole 3 pound a day to save on personal mileage on a 10 round trip. But can afford 2 cars. One which is never used? If you want to save money surely you scrap the second car if you constantly have a work vehicle? That's what I did, so I can get all my cars on my own drive at night. But thanks for nicer responses. I understand if there is no where to park the vehicles so staff may have to take them home.

Thanks Simon.
windermeredave
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 265
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 13:37
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by windermeredave »

I wonder if you ever thought about actually taking it up with this driver rather than posting it on this forum where it`s not unreasonable to assume that 90% of us will take his side? (and it`s their not there :dance )