ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How much power does a manager have ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lhb
Posts: 19
Joined: 17 Oct 2008, 18:20
Gender: Male

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by lhb »

Recently I had a heated discussion with my line manager about our daily compulsory overtime, AKA Lapsing. I was then ordered into his office, where the discussion didn't go any better, so I decided it was a waste of time and I would like to leave his office. With this my line manager positioned himself in front of the door to stop me leaving. I started by nicely asking him to move, and ended up ordering to let me out as he was holding me against my will. This went on for about 5 minutes, by now I was feeling trapped and getting very stressed. I tried shouting for help, I threatened to call the police, he just said 'do it then'. He only let me out when I started to phone my walk partner who was at the other end of the office. There was no way I was going to try and physically move him, which is probably what he wanted.

My DOM says he doesn't think I was held prisoner, and that whilst being paid by Royal Mail, I can be held anywhere a manager wants me to be.

I realise that I made a big mistake in going into his office without someone with me, which usually I wouldn't even think of doing.

But I would like advise on whether a manager can or con not, confine me against my will.
Last edited by lhb on 03 Aug 2016, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Kobi72
Posts: 43
Joined: 16 Sep 2012, 11:01
Gender: Male

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by Kobi72 »

I don't care what anybody on here says,but no one has the right to hold you against your will..jeez I would have lost my job if that was me!! I would have launched him through the door
Scotland1
Posts: 180
Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 16:17
Gender: Female

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by Scotland1 »

I doubt he can do this but with Royal Mail nothing surprises me, me personally I went through something similar around 5-6 years ago, but with mental interrogation, I would go off with stress because of a this. Hope ur ok
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by rehabron »

lhb wrote:Recently I had a heated discussion with my line manager about our daily compulsory overtime, AKA Lapsing. I was then ordered into his office, where the discussion didn't go any better, so I decided it was a waste of time and I would like to leave his office. With this my line manager positioned himself in front of the door to stop me leaving. I started by nicely asking him to move, and ended up ordering to let me out as he was holding me against my will. This went on for about 5 minutes, by now I was feeling trapped and getting very stressed. I tried shouting for help, I threatened to call the police, he just said 'do it then'. He only let me out when I started to phone my walk partner who was at the other end of the office. There was no way I was going to try and physically move him, which is probably what he wanted.

My DOM says he doesn't think I was held prisoner, and that whilst being paid by Royal Mail, I can be held anywhere a manager wants me to be.

I realise that I made a big mistake in going into his office without someone with me, which usually I wouldn't even think of doing.

But I would like advise on whether a manager can or con not, confine me against my will.
The moral of the story is you knowing that being ordered into the managers office that a heated argument could ensue and at the time when being ordered to his office you should have advised the manager that you wished to take a work colleague or a union rep with you before the meeting commenced. When in the office you should have warned the manager that the meeting was not going any further until you has some form of representation and left. The mangers actions on barring you from leaving the office is beyond the authority of a manager and highly irregular and worth a formal complaint however this will prove difficult as you are unable to provide witnesses to this event unless someone was able to witness the manager barring you from leaving. Don't know if cctv cameras cover this office but if so then you can register your complaint and request the camera evidence to be produced. You need to be quick as I believe the tapes are destroyed within a month. Next time you are ordered into the office you should be well prepared.
lhb
Posts: 19
Joined: 17 Oct 2008, 18:20
Gender: Male

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by lhb »

Thanks all for your responses.

As I said, I wouldn't usually enter a managers office alone, and I should have taken someone with me this time. My excuse being, this manager is fairly new to me, and it all happened so quick, also most posties had already left the office.

I have just had a very helpful phone call from my cwu rep, who has heard what happened and who has given me some good advise and has been very supportive.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by centenaryman »

Crazy the way you were treated........

Years ago a line manager ordered a lad into the office,,,i walked over and put my foot in the door,,,,lino kept trying to shut the door....it was bouncing of my foot.
the shoes they give you are good on the sides....even if there crap on the soles LOL

I felt the lad was scared and didn't want to argue so the lino was thinking he was a soft touch and bounce him behind closed doors....
I just told the lad to get a rep in,,,,,which after a min or 2 he did.......I know I got in a bit of s**t but I`d do it again...

Never go in with out a rep
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by General Mannerheim »

The power of grey skull. :roll:
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Darwinsdad
Posts: 78
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
Gender: Male

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by Darwinsdad »

Recently I've found when trying to get straight answers from a line/office manager, its easier to get your mobile phone out of your pocket and say "I'm going to record this chat in case I have to refer back in the future". It's truly amazing how quickly things are sorted
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by postslippete »

There are plenty of dodgy line managers in Royal Mail that are encouraged to bend the rules as far they can by their superiors. Its even worse when they pair up together against you behind closed doors as well!! But that won't stop managers from making our life difficult from time to time and being a total pain in the rear when they want to be (no pun intended).

Its a shame that we don't have a strong enough Union to prevent this sort of bullying from happening on a daily basis. Bullying you into doing the work behind closed doors. And its ok telling the postie that he needs to remember to take someone with him (like a rep) into the managers office; but actually, the Union needs to get its finger out and start forcing Royal Mail managers that before they can take an OPG into their office for a 'quiet chat' then they need to get a Union rep in as well, so that this sort of thing doesn't happen. Most of us have an understanding of the overrunning procedure, but how often do managers manipulate things with those that don't know the procedure that well I wonder?? How often do managers get away with things by bullying and belittling staff into doing it? And its even worst if your DOM is that way inclined too!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
heraldmoth
Posts: 705
Joined: 22 Jun 2014, 15:58
Gender: Male

doms bonus and lapsing

Post by heraldmoth »

does my dom get a bonus for lapsing if so how much? i ask this because our office doesnt lapse as such, every member of staff has to do a 4 hour collection once a summer for free even if they have booked overtime all summer. if my manager is profiting from making staff work for free is this not a case for gross misconduct? :nana :Boo hoo!
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

doms bonus and lapsing

Post by Creditshampoo »

heraldmoth wrote:does my dom get a bonus for lapsing if so how much? i ask this because our office doesnt lapse as such, every member of staff has to do a 4 hour collection once a summer for free even if they have booked overtime all summer. if my manager is profiting from making staff work for free is this not a case for gross misconduct? :nana :Boo hoo!
Yea he can't make you do that
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

How much power does a manager have ?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

working for free is voluntary, if its not it could be illegal under the minimum wage laws.

Get a rep on this, though the drawback will be no more early finishes, ever. But thats better than bing taken for mugs.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

doms bonus and lapsing

Post by rambo1 »

heraldmoth wrote:does my dom get a bonus for lapsing if so how much? i ask this because our office doesnt lapse as such, every member of staff has to do a 4 hour collection once a summer for free even if they have booked overtime all summer. if my manager is profiting from making staff work for free is this not a case for gross misconduct? :nana :Boo hoo!
NO manager can make you work for free! If you are getting back early some days then you have to volunteer to do something to fill your hrs (does anyone actually get back early any more). You can't have it both ways, everyone should now be working their full contracted hrs. If you want to work more, fine, if you only want the contract hrs that's fine too. What isn't fine is being sat on your back side for an hr at home while royal mail are still paying you. Those days are long gone, or should be anyway.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

doms bonus and lapsing

Post by Creditshampoo »

heraldmoth wrote:does my dom get a bonus for lapsing if so how much? i ask this because our office doesnt lapse as such, every member of staff has to do a 4 hour collection once a summer for free even if they have booked overtime all summer. if my manager is profiting from making staff work for free is this not a case for gross misconduct? :nana :Boo hoo!
Still not believing this