ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

delivery to neighbour

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hans solo
Posts: 3285
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by hans solo »

why are the public putting up with this
the public are doing the work ,storage and final delivery of items
the neighbour is doing work for rm yodel dpd amazon hermes should public be getting paid for this service
all this delivery to neighbour sham is for is to save liability on goods ,pass on blame, save money , distrubution problems
and to cut workforce numbers and getting public to undertake free work to make companies and shareholdings more profitable
it is not doing someone a favour when your asked to take in parcels every day
my wife takes in 2-4 pkts every day for hermes yodel for neighbours
i tell them no unless i get paid :nana
high time every member of public refused to cooperate with profiteering
just my view
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by tommyrep »

hans solo wrote:why are the public putting up with this
the public are doing the work ,storage and final delivery of items
the neighbour is doing work for rm yodel dpd amazon hermes should public be getting paid for this service
all this delivery to neighbour sham is for is to save liability on goods ,pass on blame, save money , distrubution problems
and to cut workforce numbers and getting public to undertake free work to make companies and shareholdings more profitable
it is not doing someone a favour when your asked to take in parcels every day
my wife takes in 2-4 pkts every day for hermes yodel for neighbours
i tell them no unless i get paid :nana
high time every member of public refused to cooperate with profiteering
just my view
Fair point ! The problem I have with this delivery to a neighbour is that RM assume there is little or no impact on the time involved with OPGs doing this work. WE are expected to inconvenience people who have no right to accept another persons package, RM claim that it is good service ! Good service for WHO ? Yes RM claim the kudos by inflicting more responsibility on staff, we get the hassle and many neighbours do NOT like the imposition they are put in by posties. We get the s**t ! they claim the credit. :wave
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

Any courier asks me if I will take a parcel for them looks a little bemused when I inform them it's £5 per item
Trolleyed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by Trolleyed »

I only deliver to neighbour if its already agreed, ie a note which says to leave parcel at number 4 or whatever, or if a neighbour offers to take it whilst I'm waiting on the doorstep, usually writing a 739. Absolutely will not walk up and down the street trying to deliver.

At home I only take items for certain neighbours as I don't get on with the others. Do get strange looks when I refuse to take one tho.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by Chewster »

I don't disagree with it per se, I often have a neighbour come out to me while I'm writing a 739, in which case I'll give it to them. I also have a few houses that have a card in the office specifying a neighbour, though tbh I very rarely follow that, I don't have time to sit and memorise who wants what left with which neighbour. There are also a couple who have written on their door "leave parcels next door" which I normally do follow, but I notice the neighbours looking less and less happy each time. One bloke had literally 15 packets the other day, and the neighbour did not look impressed with it at all.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by ScousePostie »

And if you follow procedure, 739 or parcel with neighbour and parcel goes 'missing', who gets the blame. Yep, the postie.
Speedmeister
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 22:06
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by Speedmeister »

I don't deliver to neighbour as I don't have time. I only do it if their next door neighbour comes out and offers to take it or they've left a note saying can you deliver it to a next door neighbour. I've heard of posties delivering to a neighbour & the recipient denies having the item - it's just not worth the time & hassle.
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

delivery to neighbour

Post by Darren Bent »

if neighbour help each other that fine as they can accept say 2 or 3 parcels a month, but when it is someone who keep ordering stuff online and rarely in and it is annoying for neighbour if they received say 25 parcels a month for next door. There is a fine line.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by eastie »

some people will do it a few times but after a while couriors get to know who takes the parcels in each road and people are getting p1ssed off with say 4 couriors knocking the same doors for the people to take parcels and they have had enough. I personally just 739 unless a neighbour offers but other couriors now resort to throwing items over fences as without getting rid of the parcels they don't get paid
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I feel sorry for the OAPs who end up taking in parcels for everyone else in the close, who go to work. :no no I normally try the nearest neighbour and open with, "Sorry to disturb you but..." you can play it from there, if I get an apprehensive response I'll say, "Don't worry if you feel unable to take the parcel, I'll leave them a note to come and collect it". It's normally at this stage that you get all the gossip i.e "She's a horrible women and I don't like her"...... "She never thanks me"....... "I wouldn't cross the road to extinguish her" etc. :cool

Of course DTN is the Posties Payback for that stroppy customer that moans at you for walking across their grass or knocking too loudly! Guess whose coming to collect their parcel? :wink:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3220
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by Acca Dacca »

What I don't understand is why it is a huge no no to give people mail in the street even if we know 110 percent it is theirs as we are supposed to deliver to the address only ( for security ) yet if not home we are allowed to give that same persons mail to joe bloggs ( under guise of DTN ) across the road who we have no idea if they get on or if he is dodgy and could steal it etc
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by WOBBLY »

DTN, great in theory, not in practice.

We should be able to DTN if it is specified by the recipient or offered by the neighbour. I object to being 'made' to try when the recipient isn't in just because it's a 'delivery standard'

Has anyone manage to disturb a neighbour who is 'ill' or woken the one 'on nights' yet? Or tried to deliver to that 'neighbour who doesn't get on with next door'? It makes for some 'interesting' conversations I can tell you :shock:
Alanalb
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Mar 2015, 18:55
Gender: Male

delivery to neighbour

Post by Alanalb »

"Doesn't get on with the neighbour?" What you mean all of them on most rounds!!! :speak to the hand