Been a Saturday postie for about 2 years now and recently asked for more hours.
Manager was great and I now have a 28 hour contract ,the only issue is a few weeks ago I got put through the van training and now I need to drive rather than always being passenger.
I really don't feel confident driving the vans,I have an artificial eye on my right side and I think the fact that I can't see behind me now either makes me feel really disorientated and I just don't feel safe.nAbout 5 mins in to my first day driving I had a wee scrape and I honestly feel it is only a matter of time before I have a serious accident.feel like a ticking time bomb!
I'm tempted to hand in notice as it is stressing me out but I enjoy the job and need the money so it is a little tricky.
After my first day driving I asked if I could get taken off the vans but manager rightly pointed out I am employed as a postman with driving.
Is there anything I can do? Is involving HR an option?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Not confident being driver
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Not confident being driver
As its due to a medical issue rather than just preferring not to drive I would suggest you speak to the manager regarding adjusted duties under the equality act, which you easily qualify for as there is a very slim chance of your eye growing back in the next 12 months!
He may argue that you hold a driving license and therefore you can drive, I assume (but may easily be wrong) that you drive a personal vehicle, and your manager may try to use that as a reason why you should drive RM vans too.
As most of us can see (sorry!) the vans have no central rear-view mirror and, not having the ability to glance in the right hand wing mirror actually makes you a serious danger on the roads, not just minor scrapes to the van but the life of anyone in your huge blind spot is at risk.
I would suggest you ask him for a referral to atos, and explain to them your dilemma, and hopefully they will suggest amended duties consisting of no driving. Or maybe you could suggest your own personal, modified van with cameras to help your vision (not entirely unreasonable)...I suspect he'll take the easier first option or somehow sort something out himself
He may argue that you hold a driving license and therefore you can drive, I assume (but may easily be wrong) that you drive a personal vehicle, and your manager may try to use that as a reason why you should drive RM vans too.
As most of us can see (sorry!) the vans have no central rear-view mirror and, not having the ability to glance in the right hand wing mirror actually makes you a serious danger on the roads, not just minor scrapes to the van but the life of anyone in your huge blind spot is at risk.
I would suggest you ask him for a referral to atos, and explain to them your dilemma, and hopefully they will suggest amended duties consisting of no driving. Or maybe you could suggest your own personal, modified van with cameras to help your vision (not entirely unreasonable)...I suspect he'll take the easier first option or somehow sort something out himself
-
28hr
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 01 Aug 2016, 17:59
- Gender: Male
Not confident being driver
Thanks for that,exactly the kind of advice I was after.
I get on quite well with him and the cover manager we currently have but I think the office is short of drivers so not sure how it will go as I understand it is a pain for them.
I drive my own car without any real issues,I think having the rear view and also being able to see out the rear side windows makes a huge difference.
Hopefully they will be accommodating,I will report back with an update.
I get on quite well with him and the cover manager we currently have but I think the office is short of drivers so not sure how it will go as I understand it is a pain for them.
I drive my own car without any real issues,I think having the rear view and also being able to see out the rear side windows makes a huge difference.
Hopefully they will be accommodating,I will report back with an update.
-
CharlesSpooner
- Posts: 383
- Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
- Gender: Male
Not confident being driver
28hr wrote:Thanks for that,exactly the kind of advice I was after.
I get on quite well with him and the cover manager we currently have but I think the office is short of drivers so not sure how it will go as I understand it is a pain for them.
I drive my own car without any real issues,I think having the rear view and also being able to see out the rear side windows makes a huge difference.
Hopefully they will be accommodating,I will report back with an update.
Regardless of how well you get on with the manager don't let the issue of it being a pain for him influence this. He is paid more than you because his job entails this kind of added responsibility. He is merely a go-between for you and a company that regularly records hundreds of millions in profit every year. The mismanagement of staff numbers is not down to you and any inconvenience caused is much less serious than an accident when driving has the potential to be.