ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Were do i stand !

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
darkgable
Posts: 46
Joined: 21 Jul 2009, 20:42
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by darkgable »

Hello people . I have been a postman for 10 years . In the ten years i have been able to avoid trouble out in the streets. But today some guy squared up to me in the street, while i was on delivery . We had a bit of a stand of . I do a bit of boxing , so was not worried at all. In the end he just walked away. My question is what happens if you get hit can you fight back or are you expected to just walk away. After the incident it dawned on me if he hit me and i leatherd the guy in the street . I can imagine i would have been the one in trouble. So i would just like to know were i stand on the issue . Thanks
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Were do i stand !

Post by korky »

could be a grey area this if it went further.
i once a a run in with a bloke over his dog, he threatened me once, then i saw him talking to a policeman over me kicking his dog, it happened in middle of the street not in a garden i may add, i knew i'd be passing them so called office to let them also listen in to the argument, was told under no circumstances to retaliate as it's not worth losing your job over it and he then threatened me again in front of the police with dom support also listening in,
rm sided with him and police refused to take any further action :arrrghhh
from that day on i've held all rm management with the respect they deserve.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by Justanotherstar »

They tell you these days if someone tries to steal the mail just let them take it do not try to fight back...i'm guessing it is the same in any situation, call the pigs and let them brush it under the carpet...Had the same a few weeks ago, bloke threatened to get his sons onto me because I put a wrong letter through his door (wasn't even my fault as it was a miss sort in the absorption :chuckle ) but the man didn't want to listen to why it happened or accept my apology, just flew off the handle.

When I thought about it later telling him what i'd do to his sons could have got me into some serious bother :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

It's hard to bite the old tongue some times.
fatboypaul
Posts: 37
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 19:13
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by fatboypaul »

Surely, you can't be expected to stand there and do nothing to defend yourself
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by Pidleypoo »

The law says you can use reasonable force to defend yourself but that's still a grey area.as hard as it is sometimes try to walk away and remove yourself from the situation if the other person does not allow you to do this you can defend yourself.
toofpick
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Oct 2010, 14:13
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by toofpick »

Be wise and don't even bother to fight back. The minute he touches you just collapse on the floor and let the lawyers take care of the rest. I've never been in this situation but I'm pretty sure that's how many would deal with it nowadays.
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by loverman shabba »

if someone attacks you instinct will take over. you wont just fall to the floor. i wouldn't worry about my job if someone was attacking me
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Were do i stand !

Post by steve1873 »

korky wrote:could be a grey area this if it went further.
i once a a run in with a bloke over his dog, he threatened me once, then i saw him talking to a policeman over me kicking his dog, it happened in middle of the street not in a garden i may add, i knew i'd be passing them so called office to let them also listen in to the argument, was told under no circumstances to retaliate as it's not worth losing your job over it and he then threatened me again in front of the police with dom support also listening in,
rm sided with him and police refused to take any further action :arrrghhh
from that day on i've held all rm management with the respect they deserve.
You have a right to defend yourself. :thumbdown
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by saddlerposty »

toofpick wrote:Be wise and don't even bother to fight back. The minute he touches you just collapse on the floor and let the lawyers take care of the rest. I've never been in this situation but I'm pretty sure that's how many would deal with it nowadays.
WTF ? how can give advice on a situation you never been in ? what happens then if they decide to stick the boot in, you might not be around to use lawyer. If you cant physically fight back, make as much noise as possible to attract some attention. no wonder we're turning into a nation whimps.
It can only be a matter of time before we all have to wear body cams.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by cpsteve »

If you hit someone they fall and hit there head and die your job is the least of your worries especially as you have boxing experience.
toofpick
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Oct 2010, 14:13
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by toofpick »

saddlerposty wrote:
toofpick wrote:Be wise and don't even bother to fight back. The minute he touches you just collapse on the floor and let the lawyers take care of the rest. I've never been in this situation but I'm pretty sure that's how many would deal with it nowadays.
WTF ? how can give advice on a situation you never been in ? what happens then if they decide to stick the boot in, you might not be around to use lawyer. If you cant physically fight back, make as much noise as possible to attract some attention. no wonder we're turning into a nation whimps.
It can only be a matter of time before we all have to wear body cams.
Ok fight back then. I bet you'll lose your job.
darkgable
Posts: 46
Joined: 21 Jul 2009, 20:42
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by darkgable »

Thanks for the reply's ! It has pretty much confirmed what i thought . You either have to try and remove your self from the situation . Or try and use self defence to limit the damage You may take . Getting in a fight with a member of the public in the street is not a good move . Which i understand THANKS
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by Creditshampoo »

If you are in danger you defend yourself
magicw
Posts: 111
Joined: 11 May 2013, 14:50
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by magicw »

You have the same rights as any private citizen and can defend yourself using reasonable force if attacked ! An accepted definition of reasonable force, is that which is necessary to assure your own safety or prevent injury or further attack, or that which allows you to safely remove yourself from the situation.

You must then report any incident to the Police!

Just before Christmas a customer accussed me of doorstepping a packet , ( Wasn't me I m a float and wasn't on the delivery that day ) . I d knocked on his door with another packet, and clearly heard a large dog on the other side of the door, I could hear the guy coming " so I shouted through the flap " I ll leave this packet on the step for you and I m going back behind the gate"

He came out the house with the dog shouting I d previously door stepped a packet which had got stolen, Threatened to set the dog on me, and of all things was Waving a baking tray about.

I walked away and he followed. I was already on my phone when he caught up with me a came swinging, I managed to avoid him and placed him in an armlock and broke away again.

Continued to make all sorts of Verbal threats and eventually I went into a local post office/ shop to ring the police.

They didn't show, only taking a statement from me 4 days later ( it was the Christmas period )

About five days later I was put on the same walk, Told D.O.M I didn't want to take it out, but he wouldn't move me. Ironically the same address had a letter from Probation services that day!!!!

End result was ( this is a local authority housing estate with a bad reputation ) Was someone from the Council Anti Social Behaviour Team contacted me and asked if I would Wear a body Cam for them. Police did feck all. And despite requests to be taken off the Walk, I m still on it at least once a week.

I make the above statements about self defence from the Back ground of having been a prison officer previously for 12 years, I think its also the reason I get more than my fair share of s**t on this walk, as a lot of them recognise me from the previous job. At which point I remind them I mainly worked in NONCE nicks, which probably doesn't Help :silenced
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Were do i stand !

Post by saddlerposty »

toofpick wrote:
saddlerposty wrote:
toofpick wrote:Be wise and don't even bother to fight back. The minute he touches you just collapse on the floor and let the lawyers take care of the rest. I've never been in this situation but I'm pretty sure that's how many would deal with it nowadays.
WTF ? how can give advice on a situation you never been in ? what happens then if they decide to stick the boot in, you might not be around to use lawyer. If you cant physically fight back, make as much noise as possible to attract some attention. no wonder we're turning into a nation whimps.
It can only be a matter of time before we all have to wear body cams.
Ok fight back then. I bet you'll lose your job.
I'd rather lose my job than lose my life.