ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sick , holiday procedure

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Coker
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 07:12
Gender: Male

Sick , holiday procedure

Post by Coker »

Hello I have gone sick as of tomorrow as I have a dodgy knee and 10 miles a day is causing grief , I am on AL as of Monday if I don't go back to work by Saturday am I allowed AL or will my holiday be deemed as sick ? I would ask my manager but he's on holiday ☺️
blisterfeet
Posts: 103
Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 18:48
Gender: Male

Sick , holiday procedure

Post by blisterfeet »

you can self cert yourself for 1 week after that you need a Dr's note. So if you don't want your holiday to be classed a sick leave then I would phone up BEFORE your duty is due to start on Monday and say you're fit to return to work, could mention you're on A/L so they know. If you don't phone up then I don't know what would happen because technically they could say you're still on sick leave but haven't provided a Dr's note so could possibly class is as unofficial absence.
Coker
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 07:12
Gender: Male

Sick , holiday procedure

Post by Coker »

Thanks for the reply , if I don't have a doctors note but am off sick for more than 7 days can they class that as unofficial? Maybe il ring on Saturday (my day off ) and declare myself fit for week
Save hunting the doctor down for a note
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Sick , holiday procedure

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

But only ring in if you are fit enough, even though its your day off. Any days sickness whilst on annual leave means you get those days back - its the law.

Also if you aren't fit and they call your bluff ???, or you don't recover enough to go back to work ?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Coker
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 07:12
Gender: Male

Sick , holiday procedure

Post by Coker »

Yeah fair point , I don't know if il able to get a doctors note before I go away , worst case scenario I take my a/l as sick and go on a stage 1 , but get my a/l back
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Sick , holiday procedure

Post by rehabron »

Coker wrote:Hello I have gone sick as of tomorrow as I have a dodgy knee and 10 miles a day is causing grief , I am on AL as of Monday if I don't go back to work by Saturday am I allowed AL or will my holiday be deemed as sick ? I would ask my manager but he's on holiday ☺️
You have a decision to make on your dodgy knee whether you wish to continue on a sick absence as from Monday when your annual leave was due to commence. If you opt for the sick absence then your first 7 days will be covered by a sick absence and thereafter a GP fit note. On submitting your self-certificate RM will have been informed that your A/l has not been taken but then that leaves you now under the attendance procedure for remaining in contact and the possibility of an OH referral. Your holiday if booked for overseas would have to be cancelled unless you can get RM permission to travel as part of your recuperation for your knee and recommence sick absence on your return off holiday but the downside is that this would constitute 2 absences. Your other choice is to inform RM on Saturday that you are no longer absent through sick and continue on to your annual leave. As stated this is YOUR decision.