ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Pulling a Sicky
-
19times
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
- Gender: Female
Pulling a Sicky
Yes or no?
I need a Sat off because I've seen a holiday going reasonably cheap but it flys out on a Sat morning, I have asked 4 guys to swap my Sat (week before) but no takers for various reasons.
My sick record is good but I don't like to 'wag' work to be honest.
What you think?
I need a Sat off because I've seen a holiday going reasonably cheap but it flys out on a Sat morning, I have asked 4 guys to swap my Sat (week before) but no takers for various reasons.
My sick record is good but I don't like to 'wag' work to be honest.
What you think?
-
In The Know
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 18:11
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
Go for it
. Some daft fool went sick at ours and then posted pics on faecesbook from cornwall 
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
Just do it...F**k em.
I used to be like you..but it gets you nowhere in this company.
I used to be like you..but it gets you nowhere in this company.
-
ewancurze
- Posts: 400
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
Be careful who may know though!
Is it worth trying for an unpaid day? Last year I needed a Saturday in August off for a hol I booked on Christmas Day....no chance,but they did let me have it unpaid.I must admit that now I would put in for the Saturday and if I did not get it I would not make it known and then pull a sickie.......risky though!
Is it worth trying for an unpaid day? Last year I needed a Saturday in August off for a hol I booked on Christmas Day....no chance,but they did let me have it unpaid.I must admit that now I would put in for the Saturday and if I did not get it I would not make it known and then pull a sickie.......risky though!
-
paulp
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 05 Mar 2010, 09:22
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
No uve asked 4 guys to swap so ur manager could get wind and it could lead to dismissal for fraud
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
4 colleagues already know your intentions and that is one to many for this to remain discreet and if RM can prove the deceit you are a strong case for dismissal. Would you enjoy your holiday knowing that on your return you have been dropped in it. You have not said when your holiday is to start but if you give sufficient advance warning so alternative arrangements can be made and if you have a good working relationship with your DOM then they could accommodate you, As already posted I would go for other ways of getting your Saturday off rather than the extreme which you are considering.19times wrote:Yes or no?
I need a Sat off because I've seen a holiday going reasonably cheap but it flys out on a Sat morning, I have asked 4 guys to swap my Sat (week before) but no takers for various reasons.
My sick record is good but I don't like to 'wag' work to be honest.
What you think?
-
dubdaz
- Posts: 264
- Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 15:55
- Gender: Male
- Location: london borough in kent
Pulling a Sicky
I've found that with our employer cutting staff to the bone and beyond, there's now no way if you need a certain day off,even if your owed holiday that you'd get it. It's a sad fact a postmans only option is to throw a sickie nowadays 
Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
learn from your mistake ... dont go around tell people you need the day off beforehand
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
I have always believed that RM wouldn't have such a problem with sick leave if you could get time off when you need it. It is your leave, you ask, they say no, if you go sick they have to cover it anyway, I would never condone anyone taking sick leave though if you are not sick. I have no doubt though that some people do. Personally, I'd ask, if they say no and you can't get it unpaid then don't risk your job. A holiday just isn't worth it in my opinion.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
what pisses me and plenty of other people off, is the fact you cannot get time off when you want it...ESPECIALLY a Saturday. BUT, they bring blokes in who are on annual leave when it suits them. I mentioned to the DOM a while back that they weren't supposed to bring blokes in who are on annual leave for more than one day as there was a bloke who had been in all week, he turned round and said ''well there's ways and means to wangle things''. I said ''so how can you not ''wangle'' a Saturday for me when I want it then''? he just laughed and said don't be like that!! 
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Pulling a Sicky
Who's at fault then probably our employer not giving staff the holidays they are entitled to because they will not employ more staff so be it on their head's it just a shame it's not a guillotine for managers who lack staffing the office why should staff beg for their holiday's!Surreypostie wrote:I have always believed that RM wouldn't have such a problem with sick leave if you could get time off when you need it. It is your leave, you ask, they say no, if you go sick they have to cover it anyway, I would never condone anyone taking sick leave though if you are not sick. I have no doubt though that some people do. Personally, I'd ask, if they say no and you can't get it unpaid then don't risk your job. A holiday just isn't worth it in my opinion.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
Your sentiments have been echoed by me many times, perhaps if they were a reasonably flexible employer ,instead of being downright inflexible,vindictive and hostile,they might get more cooperation from their employees.Surreypostie wrote:I have always believed that RM wouldn't have such a problem with sick leave if you could get time off when you need it. It is your leave, you ask, they say no, if you go sick they have to cover it anyway, I would never condone anyone taking sick leave though if you are not sick. I have no doubt though that some people do. Personally, I'd ask, if they say no and you can't get it unpaid then don't risk your job. A holiday just isn't worth it in my opinion.
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Pulling a Sicky
With 30 days holiday you'd think having to pull a sickie is stupid but not with this company.
I have done and will pull sickies with no guilt,
I have done and will pull sickies with no guilt,
-
Speedmeister
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 22:06
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
Depends who you are at my office - I asked for a Saturday off & was told no by the lino as they had 4 walks to cover, a few weeks later one of the lino's 'mates' got a Saturday off despite there being 3 walks needed covering.
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Pulling a Sicky
I know plenty of people in other lines of work who all moan about their jobs, yet they're all able to get odd days off when requested even at just 24 hours notice.
As others have said, it's not that RM are just inflexible, or not even that they don't care about their workforce... they're actually vindictive, spiteful, openly hostile and deliberately awkward, they clearly have a real hatred and resentment towards their employees.
As others have said, it's not that RM are just inflexible, or not even that they don't care about their workforce... they're actually vindictive, spiteful, openly hostile and deliberately awkward, they clearly have a real hatred and resentment towards their employees.