ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by wannabeek »

I helped in an office in the district a while back to clear up all the odd bits on a lapsed duty which hadn't been taken out by some of the duties. It was a light Tuesday. One lapsing part had no mail at all but 18 D2D, another part without any D2D that day had just three letters, another different section on this duty had 1 letter only. Is this some sort of a record?

Looked like 10 mins of lapsing a day for each of them, I guessed (including driving time) - on a 'normal' day. Struck me as very peculiar and not like I'm used to. I did ask if these were just letters missed by them as they took it out but no, this was their total lapsing for the day.

I'm guessing they must have had about 30 posties lapsing this one round. :crazy:
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by Justanotherstar »

I had 5 calls with 1 small packet :nana
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

It seems Lapsing/Absorption suffers from the same problems as normal duties....... Not everyone gets the same amount of work and it's generally unfair! :sad:

It seems that DOMs will allocate the amount of lapsing on how much they can load onto a particular Postie. Some Posties just don't seem to get upset by being taken advantage of and others are in the office moaning over the slightest little problem. Guess which Posties gets lumbered with the most Lapsing/Absorption? :hmmmm

As a Reserve you get to see the different amounts that each duty gets. Regardless of how much there is I'm still amazed that so many Posties do not understand the procedure for not taking lapsing. And we're not taking New Starters but Older Experienced Posties! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Tank
Posts: 206
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by Tank »

I have 65 dp on my double which is 30-35 mins long! I refuse on all but the quietest days as some have 18-20 dp! 5-6 mins at most.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by enskied »

My double laspe is 196 houses loads of dead walking. It is the passengers first full bag off that duty where the driver goes off and delivers packets before meeting up again.
it can take 40mins to an hour depending on knock-ons. I just cut off my own duty, or don't take the lapse, makes no difference to me. I have long since given up trying to reason with Managers over workloads.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Tank wrote:I have 65 dp on my double which is 30-35 mins long! I refuse on all but the quietest days as some have 18-20 dp! 5-6 mins at most.
Why do you have 'double'?
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by Bahia Feliz »

enskied wrote:My double laspe is 196 houses
Why do you have 'double lapse'?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by Creditshampoo »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
enskied wrote:My double laspe is 196 houses
Why do you have 'double lapse'?
Because he most likely comes in early doesnt take a break and completed single lapsing with no issue
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by ewancurze »

I have not been doing mine this week as we are so busy,but the usual "Ghosters" come round "are you doing your absorbtion today?"....No....walk into the office 5 mins later and they are there carving it up between them,getting an hour for each bit and still finishing an hour before the rest of us.
I would do the bloody stuff if they gave me an hour!
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by enskied »

Creditshampoo wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
enskied wrote:My double laspe is 196 houses
Why do you have 'double lapse'?
Because he most likely comes in early doesnt take a break and completed single lapsing with no issue
No he doesn't, and he loves his break.

Gaffer calls a double lapse, it's a double lapse.. Whatever! if it gets done it gets done, if it don't it don't.
As for completing the single lapsing.... it is the same story. We are lucky to complete our duties on time any day of the week without lapsing. It has just become a managerial doctrine to lapse regardless of workload. Monday lapse, Tuesday Lapse, Saturday Lapse and squeeze a Wednesday in usually. It does not matter, I have my hours to work and that is it. No more no less.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by nickbsmooth »

My lapsing consisted of 1packet yesterday
Tank
Posts: 206
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by Tank »

enskied wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
enskied wrote:My double laspe is 196 houses
Why do you have 'double lapse'?
Because he most likely comes in early doesnt take a break and completed single lapsing with no issue
No he doesn't, and he loves his break.

Gaffer calls a double lapse, it's a double lapse.. Whatever! if it gets done it gets done, if it don't it don't.
As for completing the single lapsing.... it is the same story. We are lucky to complete our duties on time any day of the week without lapsing. It has just become a managerial doctrine to lapse regardless of workload. Monday lapse, Tuesday Lapse, Saturday Lapse and squeeze a Wednesday in usually. It does not matter, I have my hours to work and that is it. No more no less.

Bang on! Told we are double lapsing till September no matter what!! They are looking at triple on a Tuesday and Saturday. I come in 1 mins before my start time and take my break everyday. Unlike some.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by Jpro747 »

Most lapsings in ours are 20-30 mins, but some (favourites) gets 5-10 min
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Tank wrote:

Told we are double lapsing till September no matter what!! They are looking at triple on a Tuesday and Saturday. I come in 1 mins before my start time and take my break everyday. Unlike some.
So you can do it all in your duty time then?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Smallest Ever Lapsing?

Post by Creditshampoo »

Isnt this all outside the national agreement