ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Offered ft reserve

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Mickmick82
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jun 2016, 12:42
Gender: Male

Offered ft reserve

Post by Mickmick82 »

Been offered ft reserve position. If I accept can I be made to do collection's in the office as I want the ft but don't want to do collection's. Can I be made to do it.
plaguelift
Posts: 133
Joined: 19 Apr 2011, 06:16
Gender: Male

Offered ft reserve

Post by plaguelift »

Don't think you could be made to do collections unless they are actually part of the duty you are covering. Collections are usually separate duties, you may have to collect a couple of boxes on a delivery duty, depends on the delivery, but you can't be made do collections (unless you are short your contract hours one week, and they're stuck for someone to do it, then they'll hit you with the reasonable request card!)
In short, no, but they might try to make you do it if you are short hours one week.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Offered ft reserve

Post by cpsteve »

You would turn down a full time job because you might have to do collections?.
Mickmick82
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jun 2016, 12:42
Gender: Male

Offered ft reserve

Post by Mickmick82 »

cpsteve wrote:You would turn down a full time job because you might have to do collections?.
I'm asking the question as a full time reserve can you be made to do collection's
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Offered ft reserve

Post by cpsteve »

Of course you have to do collections if required its part of the job.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Offered ft reserve

Post by aiden01 »

Mickmick82 wrote:
cpsteve wrote:You would turn down a full time job because you might have to do collections?.
I'm asking the question as a full time reserve can you be made to do collection's
as a reserve you can be asked to cover any kind of duty as long as you are trained.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Offered ft reserve

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Why not ask?

If you are in an office with both functions, it is a possibility.

But, it will depend on circumstances.
My office has both functions, but delivery staff and collections staff are separate, and so only cover in their own function.
We share a building, but are totally separate.
Has it happened to other staff in your office?
If so, it is likely to happen to you.

On another note, I wouldn't refuse a FT job on these grounds.
It's hard enough to get RM and its managers to put PT staff into FT roles without staff actively helping them block it.

It would also probably be one of the last chances you'll get to progress, as RM will likely try to get a change in this area at some point.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Offered ft reserve

Post by wannabeek »

I'm pretty certain that the answer is yes. For example, every Xmas period many of the surplus leave reserves are put onto duties comprising of just parcels and collections. Also, when I was a junior ft reserve I was moved during this period to an extra evening collections duty. With the correct notification they could change my hours for that.