ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Same walk

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NightOwl
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 12:41
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by NightOwl »

Hi,

Upon being accepted will I be kept on the same walk? Might be a daft question when I consider it's always the same guy whom delivers here. But rather ask than guess!

Thanks
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Same walk

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

for about 6 weeks you should, to learn the ropes. After that it all depends on the Managers, usually new starters once they have their feet are used as reserves.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Same walk

Post by motherhubbard »

For training purposes and to allow you to familiarize yourself with the job you should be kept on the same duty for a period of weeks.
After that you will be a reserve covering whatever needs covering.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by rubberbond »

motherhubbard wrote:For training purposes and to allow you to familiarize yourself with the job you should be kept on the same duty for a period of weeks.
After that you will be a reserve covering whatever needs covering.
Without ever having a Saturday off,for a long,long time. Cynical? Moi?
movingon
Posts: 61
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 12:39
Gender: Female

Same walk

Post by movingon »

Going by our office you'll be very lucky to be kept on the same walk for 6 weeks. Even 6 days is a result! Training can be severely lacking but the posties are amazing - always someone to help, so you'll survive the chaos....
NightOwl
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 12:41
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by NightOwl »

Thanks.

I am just worried about knowing the area where streets are. So if I am get put here there and everywhere my head will be up my arse!
Darwinsdad
Posts: 78
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by Darwinsdad »

90% of the time you can find your way just following the letters in the bundle from the first address. For the other 10%, Google maps on your phone is your friend
NightOwl
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 12:41
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by NightOwl »

:Very Happy

When I turn up in the morning what is expected before I head out? Been reading on here a load of stuff and wondering.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Same walk

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

NightOwl wrote::Very Happy

When I turn up in the morning what is expected before I head out? Been reading on here a load of stuff and wondering.
it depends on the duty you'll be doing and there are so many variables I wouldn't worry, it will be covered in your training.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by scoobydo79 »

Then there is of course the initiation :nervous
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Same walk

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Ive been on the same walk since I started last July :Very Happy .
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by wannabeek »

Wow. Don't you find that terribly boring? I hate being on a walk for more than a few days. Everyone gets the same old toot delivered, at least doing different routes makes a variation to the day. Maybe that's just me tho. I've never understood the desire many have to walk the same streets over and over again, year after year.
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Same walk

Post by salomon2 »

Loads of good apps on phones that bring up street and house names, but if you're delivering with a truck, the frame is set up to take you on the walk. I've been put blind on quite a few rounds and never had much trouble finding where I'm going. You can always ask for a printout of the route off google maps. You'll soon learn to pack your truck so you don't miss parcels or get lost. Don't be afraid to write notes if being given tips. Nearly 2 years as a reserve and probably know 12 different rounds, 6 really well, and now on rurals which you definitely need a couple of days training on. I get moved around as it suits but actually I don't mind that much, once you know what you're doing you should be able to deliver just about anywhere without really knowing the area.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by Chewster »

I enjoy being on the same walk on a regular basis, but not every single day. I also don't like being on a different walk every single day. It's nice to have a balance between a nice routine and a regular change of scenery. But some people like the routine aspect more. Diff'rent strokes for different folks innit