ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Transfer to Scotland

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
forthewheel
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 19:00
Gender: Male

Transfer to Scotland

Post by forthewheel »

Hi everyone,

I'm a postie with 4 years' service in England, just seen a full-time, permanent vacancy in the PA postcode area in Scotland, where I'd like to move to. Should I just apply for this on the SuccessFactors site, or would it be better to contact the DOM personally?

Also, how long would it normally take for a transfer to go through if successful?

As well as being a postie I'm a Deputy Manager. I'm not expecting to walk into a Deputy Manager position after the transfer, but does anyone have any experience transferring as a Deputy Manager? Would it be worth contacting the DSM, and if so, how do I find out who he / she is?

Thanks guys,
Jim
Kick the Bucket
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
Gender: Male

Transfer to Scotland

Post by Kick the Bucket »

Tryin' to escape the Brexit huh? :dance
forthewheel
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 19:00
Gender: Male

Transfer to Scotland

Post by forthewheel »

Kick the Bucket wrote:Tryin' to escape the Brexit huh? :dance
Maybe... no flies on you :cool
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Transfer to Scotland

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

The official approach would be through success factors.

The unofficial one would be to approach the DOM.

Both have advantages and pitfalls.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Transfer to Scotland

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

apply through the website, for pa and with the dsm keep it above board as more likely for it to happen, as for deputy manager posts it depends on the office if it's paisley area then you may be made up every now and then (only 3 or 4 deputy manager jobs in whole area) if its the islands or argyll then deputy managers generally only made up on substitution when dom for the office is away, offices in pa are generally run with single dom and no deputies
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Transfer to Scotland

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Also pa area have habit of putting all vacancies online immediately so you may find the ft vacancy goes to a pt member of staff first if they apply for it ahead of any transfer in
forthewheel
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 19:00
Gender: Male

Transfer to Scotland

Post by forthewheel »

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll apply online.

Am I likely to have any trouble in being released by my DOM, do you think?
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Transfer to Scotland

Post by DB1100 »

forthewheel wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll apply online.

Am I likely to have any trouble in being released by my DOM, do you think?
I should think it depends if you are like me and moan and complain a lot the DOM would be glad to see you go,if however you do what ever they ask with out moaning and complaining they probably would like to keep you.
For we were soldiers once,and young
forthewheel
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 19:00
Gender: Male

Transfer to Scotland

Post by forthewheel »

DB1100 wrote:
forthewheel wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll apply online.

Am I likely to have any trouble in being released by my DOM, do you think?
I should think it depends if you are like me and moan and complain a lot the DOM would be glad to see you go,if however you do what ever they ask with out moaning and complaining they probably would like to keep you.
Depends what mood I'm in :chuckle normally I tend to get on with it, though. I suppose I'll have to make it clear that my other option would be to quit. We tend to get on relatively well, anyway.