ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to get my job back.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
johnsmith1991
Posts: 4
Joined: 09 Nov 2014, 19:02
Gender: Male

How to get my job back.

Post by johnsmith1991 »

I left the royal mail in march 2015 after working for 5 months as a postman. This was because I was on a 6 month temporary contact and didnt want to become unemployed when my contract expires.(I didnt know, till after I left, that was going to be offered another 6 month contract in april.) I can honestly say that leaving this job was the worst decision I have ever made and I am now regularly checking the website for vacancies in my local area, but none have become available.

I am thinking of going into to all the delivery offices in my area and speaking to the DO explaining my situation and basically asking for a job. What do you think my chances of success are? Or should I just not bother?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

How to get my job back.

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

They can't simply give you a job, if you did go to the local offices and a job was availible it would still need to go online for people to apply for and you would still need to take your chances applying online for it
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

How to get my job back.

Post by Creditshampoo »

Dont bother. Its all online now. Sign up for alerts and youll have to be very patient.
westham000
Posts: 106
Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 18:44
Gender: Male

How to get my job back.

Post by westham000 »

You didn't want to become unemployed so you left a month before your contract ended. I can only assume you had another job to go to, and it didn't work out. Royal Mail will nearly always renew a contract unless you are not up to the standards for the job. In the the worst case they would offer you employment at another local office . We all moan and complain about the job , but very few people leave on there on accord. It is still a decent job with good terms and conditions at the moment . As the previous post as stated. You will now have to join the mass and apply on line. Good luck.
johnsmith1991
Posts: 4
Joined: 09 Nov 2014, 19:02
Gender: Male

How to get my job back.

Post by johnsmith1991 »

I vacancy has opened at one of my local Delivery Offices. I have just applied and waiting to receive an email inviting me to complete online assessments.

Does anybody have any tips to improve my chances of getting an interview/job offer.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

How to get my job back.

Post by wannabeek »

I think all you can realistically do at this point is to ace the online tests and hope for the best. Don't know if the test has changed since I started but I imagine it shouldn't be too challenging to someone who has already been a postie. Do you still get to practice the test infinite times before you decide to do it for real?
johnsmith1991
Posts: 4
Joined: 09 Nov 2014, 19:02
Gender: Male

How to get my job back.

Post by johnsmith1991 »

I completed the test last night. They were the exact same questions as before. I am thinking about going into the office and speaking to the manager just to make sure he/she knows that I have been a postman before and that I am very keen to return.

Do you think this a good idea?
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

How to get my job back.

Post by wannabeek »

I think it's a good idea. That's what I would do.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

How to get my job back.

Post by Postie45 »

johnsmith1991 wrote:I completed the test last night. They were the exact same questions as before. I am thinking about going into the office and speaking to the manager just to make sure he/she knows that I have been a postman before and that I am very keen to return.

Do you think this a good idea?
i dont see how it would hurt your chances. you can try it, but i wouldnt hold my breath on it working