ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working with a newstart

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Anonymouse »

Got a new guy working with me. So far we've only been doing half a round to get him used to it. This was however taking us up to the finish time.
Today was the first time of doing the whole round and i knew we'd obviously be way over time. Told the manager we'd be cutting off but he told me because it's training i couldn't.
My line manager took me aside and said she'd cover it and to go ahead and cut off.

Is this right? I'm surely allowed to work my hours regardless of who i'm working with.

My rep is on holiday this week too so i didn't have back up at the time.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Working with a newstart

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You aren't a coach are you. Otherwise its a definite no, as a coach its still a No, but you'd be under more pressure.

Also if its training and you are not a trainer make sure you get paid the training allowance.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Working with a newstart

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.cwu.org/assets/cwu/legacy-as ... tion_T.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

National Agreement Induction Training with Coaching Support Agreement 2006 (LTB 211/06)
Screenshot - 21_06_2016 , 17_13_49.jpg
Screenshot - 21_06_2016 , 17_14_59.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Anonymouse »

No, i'm not a coach. Thanks for the info.
Still not looking forward to the daily arguments about cutting off this week. Feel bad for the new guy too, he's not getting used to the round but i can't help that.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by enskied »

What a crap situation to be in for both of you.

Only in this company.. ! What a way to introduce a new starter. I found it confusing enough way back in the day, things are much harder now.
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Anonymouse »

Problem solved.
He didn't turn up for work today and won't be back. Oh well.
ziggy
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male
Location: Back o Beyond

Working with a newstart

Post by ziggy »

I feel sorry for the new starts but working with them is torture. If they are the driver they can't deliver packets because they don't know the round. It's also impossible to predict how much to cut off since some are a good bit slower but you've got no idea of their pace until you get out there. If I finish a loop first I always help out whoever I'm on with but its knackering being with the new guys.

They do have to learn somewhere and they are under pressure to keep up but I'm glad I'm not starting out now
Ziggy
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Postie45 »

Anonymouse wrote:Problem solved.
He didn't turn up for work today and won't be back. Oh well.
sums RM up right there
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Barbel »

Has it always been rubbish for new starters? It was when I started over 3 years ago and I nearly jacked it after being thrown right in the deep end with very little training. It's no wonder people don't stick at it!
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

I really don't envy new starters these days, a vast majority of them have no idea of how physically demanding the job has become since online shopping took off.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by wannabeek »

Anyone know what the current stats are for new-starts staying more than a few weeks in RM? I believe we're better than many offices because more of the new people stay than leave, but it's a way higher quit ratio than in any other industry I've worked in.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Working with a newstart

Post by NewPostieUK »

I had a new starter. Very intelligent guy, always asking questions.

First day:

Noob: So when you say 'get out' what do you mean?
Me: Out of the office, out on delivery.
Noob Ah, I see. And what do we do when it's raining?
Me: Um...

To be fair it was torrential for two days and he lasted to the end of the second day.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Chewster »

NewPostieUK wrote:I had a new starter. Very intelligent guy, always asking questions.

First day:

Noob: So when you say 'get out' what do you mean?
Me: Out of the office, out on delivery.
Noob Ah, I see. And what do we do when it's raining?
Me: Um...

To be fair it was torrential for two days and he lasted to the end of the second day.
We had one new lady sit in her van for about an hour one day because it was raining. She lasted a few weeks in fairness, and didn't get in trouble for sitting in her van but I do find the pretty ones get away with a lot :whistle
psyCrowe
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Feb 2016, 12:28
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by psyCrowe »

When do they drop the title "new start?"

I only ask because this happens alot in my office, and managers will say "they have been fully trained by coaches, you aren't entitled to training allowance".

Our new starts were out with coaches for maybe just less than a week (iirc). Put onto duties to cover sick after that. Royal mail are ruthless.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Newbie001 »

Many offices start 2/3 new starts at same time. One if lucky will be out with coach first week. None will be told about holidays, start finish times, cutting off, correct procedures, overtime, breaks etc. They will generally get put on worst duties as manager favourites, usually on easier duties. Refuse to work with them. The posties "lumbered" with them won't be given any leeway or have time to make sure they're doing job properly. After couple of weeks they'll be taken into office and threatened about mis-deliveries, mis-sorts etc, usually about same time they start asking about overtime, breaks etc. And if they stand they're ground they'll get shipped to other offices, usually on the worst walks.
I do wonder why so many don't last.