ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New starter, in need of advice
-
BS7
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 20:43
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
Hi all,
I recently started working for Royal Mail around a month ago, I am contracted to my local (small) office in the area where I have lived for years so know very well. On my start date I arrived at the office as I was told to do and went through all the formalities was introduced to the work place coach and was told that the plan for me would be to go out and learn the walks with other colleagues for a few days and then when I was ready to go out on my own. After about an hour or so the manager told me that I was contracted to the region and not the office (although my contract clearly states the office not the region). I then had two days at my office and was going on walks with colleagues and learning the job role. However at the end of the 2nd shift I was told that I would need to go to a larger office about 20 mins away and work from there for the day, the manager told me that I would be going out with another colleague like I had been doing, however when I got to the second office the following day I was dumped on the frame and told there's ur htc off you go. I have no knowledge of the area and the managers were of no help disputed me informing them of this and asking for directions or a map. When I returned from the walk I was told by the Dom that I would be working from the same office for the following day, that then turned into a week and I have now been at the second office everyday since having been rather aggressively told I am there until I'm told by the Dom, As of yet I haven't been shown around the office or even told how I know when my shifts are or what walk I'm on, I haven't yet been given a day off Despite turning up on numerous days to be told I shouldn't be there and the office I'm contracted too are supposed to tell me I'm off, I've asked other colleagues at the office for advice or help however if if they ask managers or I ask mangers any questions I'm told I have to contact my contracted office. Dispite the office I'm working at telling me I'm contracted to the region when it suits them. The office I'm working from are of no help especially the Dom who seems to think I should be fully trained and seems annoyed if I have to ask a question about the area even tho I'd only had two shifts by the time I was plonked In his office and really he should have continued my training.
I feel that I'm capable of doing the job now through the help of other colleagues and coaches.
So my questions are
Will I ever end up back at the office I applied for and am supposedly contracted to, and is it normal to be sent to other offices?
I have holiday booked next week which my contracted office agreed to on my first day but the office I'm working in now will only tell me to contact the office I'm contracted to when I asked if they knew about it, my contracted office have told me its booked but if the office I'm being working from are refusing to acknowledge it, what happens to my holiday?
I've worked quite a bit of overtime which I have yet to see any payment for, and again whenever I question the managers they tell me to speak to my contracted office, who have no recollection of my hours because i didn't do it there. How can I have a contracted office and be contracted to the region at the same time, who am I supposed to contact.
Sorry for such a long post I'm enjoying the job and all the colleagues, and coaches have been extremely helpful it's just frustrating to feel that the manager in the office I'm working from doesn't want to help in any way. And am being made to work from an office I have no knowledge of the area when I'm contracted to somewhere else.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I recently started working for Royal Mail around a month ago, I am contracted to my local (small) office in the area where I have lived for years so know very well. On my start date I arrived at the office as I was told to do and went through all the formalities was introduced to the work place coach and was told that the plan for me would be to go out and learn the walks with other colleagues for a few days and then when I was ready to go out on my own. After about an hour or so the manager told me that I was contracted to the region and not the office (although my contract clearly states the office not the region). I then had two days at my office and was going on walks with colleagues and learning the job role. However at the end of the 2nd shift I was told that I would need to go to a larger office about 20 mins away and work from there for the day, the manager told me that I would be going out with another colleague like I had been doing, however when I got to the second office the following day I was dumped on the frame and told there's ur htc off you go. I have no knowledge of the area and the managers were of no help disputed me informing them of this and asking for directions or a map. When I returned from the walk I was told by the Dom that I would be working from the same office for the following day, that then turned into a week and I have now been at the second office everyday since having been rather aggressively told I am there until I'm told by the Dom, As of yet I haven't been shown around the office or even told how I know when my shifts are or what walk I'm on, I haven't yet been given a day off Despite turning up on numerous days to be told I shouldn't be there and the office I'm contracted too are supposed to tell me I'm off, I've asked other colleagues at the office for advice or help however if if they ask managers or I ask mangers any questions I'm told I have to contact my contracted office. Dispite the office I'm working at telling me I'm contracted to the region when it suits them. The office I'm working from are of no help especially the Dom who seems to think I should be fully trained and seems annoyed if I have to ask a question about the area even tho I'd only had two shifts by the time I was plonked In his office and really he should have continued my training.
I feel that I'm capable of doing the job now through the help of other colleagues and coaches.
So my questions are
Will I ever end up back at the office I applied for and am supposedly contracted to, and is it normal to be sent to other offices?
I have holiday booked next week which my contracted office agreed to on my first day but the office I'm working in now will only tell me to contact the office I'm contracted to when I asked if they knew about it, my contracted office have told me its booked but if the office I'm being working from are refusing to acknowledge it, what happens to my holiday?
I've worked quite a bit of overtime which I have yet to see any payment for, and again whenever I question the managers they tell me to speak to my contracted office, who have no recollection of my hours because i didn't do it there. How can I have a contracted office and be contracted to the region at the same time, who am I supposed to contact.
Sorry for such a long post I'm enjoying the job and all the colleagues, and coaches have been extremely helpful it's just frustrating to feel that the manager in the office I'm working from doesn't want to help in any way. And am being made to work from an office I have no knowledge of the area when I'm contracted to somewhere else.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
well this sounds quite a mess, do you know who your union rep is ? if not ask someone in the office (shouidnt matter which) and go speak to them about it. Even if youre not in the union yet they will probably sign you up and help you out.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
1 sign up to the union
2 hand in a letter to the office youre comtracted to with the hours you have worked past contract hours with details what times and days. They will pay you and claim back from the other office
3 tell the new office youre on holiday that week and tough s**t
2 hand in a letter to the office youre comtracted to with the hours you have worked past contract hours with details what times and days. They will pay you and claim back from the other office
3 tell the new office youre on holiday that week and tough s**t
-
swpostie
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 20 May 2009, 04:28
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
Good advice about joining the union.
Your contacted office is your normal place of work. You can be asked to work at other offices in the area but you are entitled to travel time and travel expenses.
Can you get to your contacted office without using your car? If so I should do that - you'll be entitled to transport to other offices if they want you to work there. They won't! They'll get someone else to do it.
If you are put on a walk you don't know, and have had no training for, follow the cutting off procedure and don't work over your time unless overtime payment has been agreed beforehand.
Enjoy your holiday.
Your contacted office is your normal place of work. You can be asked to work at other offices in the area but you are entitled to travel time and travel expenses.
Can you get to your contacted office without using your car? If so I should do that - you'll be entitled to transport to other offices if they want you to work there. They won't! They'll get someone else to do it.
If you are put on a walk you don't know, and have had no training for, follow the cutting off procedure and don't work over your time unless overtime payment has been agreed beforehand.
Enjoy your holiday.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
1) What are the terms of your Contract of Employment in relation to start/finish times and contracted hours.
2) RM can use you in other office due to operational needs but travelling from your office of employment to another office the travelling time out and back to designated office will be incorporated within your daily duty hours.
3) If you are on a p/t contract hours worked above your contracted hours will be at basic rate until you exceed 39 hours F/T contract.
4) Your contracted office is responsible for your payment of wages and hours spent at another office are authenticated and notified to your contracted office for payment.
5) Contact the DOM at your contracted office to notify his counterpart at the regional office of your holiday dates that were mutually agreed when starting with the business.
6) Placing an employee into the unknown without proper training and guidance breaches quality of service to the public and this needs to be flagged up with the training officer/workplace coach at the regional office and if unknown to you make enquiries with a colleague who this person is or who is your cwu union rep at the office. Being a new entrant you will be a non-member and I am sure that the union rep will have you signed up automatically and should then work on your behalf to give you his or her full support to minimise the dilemma you are in.
7) Better to get union representation before your situation spirals out of control and before other situations develop such as miss deliveries and any disciplinary matters.
2) RM can use you in other office due to operational needs but travelling from your office of employment to another office the travelling time out and back to designated office will be incorporated within your daily duty hours.
3) If you are on a p/t contract hours worked above your contracted hours will be at basic rate until you exceed 39 hours F/T contract.
4) Your contracted office is responsible for your payment of wages and hours spent at another office are authenticated and notified to your contracted office for payment.
5) Contact the DOM at your contracted office to notify his counterpart at the regional office of your holiday dates that were mutually agreed when starting with the business.
6) Placing an employee into the unknown without proper training and guidance breaches quality of service to the public and this needs to be flagged up with the training officer/workplace coach at the regional office and if unknown to you make enquiries with a colleague who this person is or who is your cwu union rep at the office. Being a new entrant you will be a non-member and I am sure that the union rep will have you signed up automatically and should then work on your behalf to give you his or her full support to minimise the dilemma you are in.
7) Better to get union representation before your situation spirals out of control and before other situations develop such as miss deliveries and any disciplinary matters.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
Hang in there mate, I know it's overwhelming at the start, but you're new so honestly no manager can expect miracles from you, so don't feel under pressure.
Definitely get in contact with your union rep, even email the rep in your area to get things in motion - http://www.cwu.org/contact-us/cwu-regions-branches/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once you get past the 6 week mark you should be a bit more savy about how RM works. Good luck.
Definitely get in contact with your union rep, even email the rep in your area to get things in motion - http://www.cwu.org/contact-us/cwu-regions-branches/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once you get past the 6 week mark you should be a bit more savy about how RM works. Good luck.
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
norm wrote:Hang in there mate, I know it's overwhelming at the start, but you're new so honestly no manager can expect miracles from you, so don't feel under pressure.
Definitely get in contact with your union rep, even email the rep in your area to get things in motion - http://www.cwu.org/contact-us/cwu-regions-branches/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once you get past the 6 week mark you should be a bit more savy about how RM works. Good luck.
It is overwhelming at the start,,,,alot of us have been there....
a few years ago they gave you proper training and time to learn...
now that seems to have gone out the window...happens at our gaff as well...your a number get on with it attitude from the bosses....
soon will be the questions as to why new starters don't stick around again.
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
New starter, in need of advice
As you've now discovered the contract is meaningless. RM can and will send you anywhere but don't make it easy for them. Don't use your car, get dropped off at your office if they want you to go elsewhere they will have to get you there. These new contracts don't state start and finish times just contracted hours, I'm on 25 and do extra as I want to but you must book it daily and sign for it. Keep a record of hours. Go and see your manager and get it sorted.
Definitely join the union and speak to the rep.
There are some good apps on your phone that give you detailed maps with number, names of houses on. I used to ask the locker to print off a map for me when I started and ask someone who's done the round for any tips. The key to making it easy is in the tieing up and loading the parcels in your truck so you don't get lost.
Lots of good info on here, once I started asking questions and saying no the Dom stopped taking the piss so much!
Definitely join the union and speak to the rep.
There are some good apps on your phone that give you detailed maps with number, names of houses on. I used to ask the locker to print off a map for me when I started and ask someone who's done the round for any tips. The key to making it easy is in the tieing up and loading the parcels in your truck so you don't get lost.
Lots of good info on here, once I started asking questions and saying no the Dom stopped taking the piss so much!
-
HarryPoorer
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
new starter wants advice = find a decent job!
-
Klay Braah
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 21:35
- Gender: Female
New starter, in need of advice
1) Claim the mileage (it's normally generous and makes you feel better)
2) Talk to your DOM at your original office to make sure you know when your days off are
3) At the new office ask to stay on one round so you can learn it (that'll make you feel more comfortable)
4) It will piss them off but might make them take action cut off and bring back mail so that you can travel back to your original office before finishing time.
5) Make sure you're getting paid for travelling there as it takes longer
Hope that helps!
2) Talk to your DOM at your original office to make sure you know when your days off are
3) At the new office ask to stay on one round so you can learn it (that'll make you feel more comfortable)
4) It will piss them off but might make them take action cut off and bring back mail so that you can travel back to your original office before finishing time.
5) Make sure you're getting paid for travelling there as it takes longer
Hope that helps!
-
Darwinsdad
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
If your home office wants you to work at another and expect you to make you way there in your own car, check your car insurance. If it says something along the lines of 'Social, domestic and pleasure purposes including travelling to and from a permanent place(s) of business provided no business visits are made on the way', you are NOT insured to drive to the other office, irrespective of if RM are paying you fuel/travel allowance. If it says this on your policy, turn up at your home office, ask them to provide a van/taxi/bus fare to enable you to get to the other office (also for the return). For you to legally travel in your car to another office away from your home office, you need to have business car insurance.
-
BS7
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 20:43
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
Thanks all for your advice, I have to say the best bit of advice is to join the union, I was actually put on a van share walk on friday with the union rep (unbeknownst to me) we had a general chat as he was driving, and when I came in Monday was approached by a manager who informed me the rep had been to the managers and now most of my issues had been looked at and are being sorted and I may be mistaken but the managers seem genuinely more approachable. I'd definately recommend joining the union to anyone. I dont know what was said but what ever it was it's working and The rep has been fantastic since I met him.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
New starter, in need of advice
fantastic !