I am on a four day (Weds- Sat) 20 hour contract, 9 til 2.
A lot of people at our DO work a 6 day week instead of 5 and get the sixth week off. I was told when I started that I would also get every sixth week off and to build up the hours for this, I would work from 8 til 2 over the four days. I did this for the first 4-5months. Then a lino said the previous DOM shouldn’t have allowed it and I had to choose, I could either work six days a week 8-2 (booking the whole of Mon and Tues as overtime) and have the sixth week off, or I could work my contracted hours 9 til 2 four days a week but then I wouldn’t get the sixth week off but that I couldn't carry on as I was. I didn’t want to work 6 days a week but liked the flexibility of the rotational week off so said I’d give it a go. I've been working like this for about 5 months now but this week someone else said it wasn't right and that I was entitled to work the original pattern.
Does anyone know if this is right?
I’d really like to know what my rights are. Seems RM managers are great at telling you what suits them rather than what you’re actually entitled to!
Would there be a policy somewhere or is it all decided locally?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Rotational week off when part-time?
-
movingon
- Posts: 61
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 12:39
- Gender: Female
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Rotational week off when part-time?
Yes shift pattern rotas are decided by Office around a nationally agreed template of options but when implemented in an office everyone should have the same opportunity of days off. So if you are on the same hours as people who get better days off then put in a grievance form and see what response you get back. Say you are being treated differently to others - that is illegal if it leads to detrimental conditions.
-
movingon
- Posts: 61
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 12:39
- Gender: Female
Rotational week off when part-time?
Thanks Meercat. I'm not being treated differently really because as far as I know all the other 20 hours, 4 day part-timers want the extra hours and are happy to work six days a week.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Rotational week off when part-time?
you have to check your contract and ask an union rep to check it for you. You either work 4 days a week every week but no week off every 6 weeks or work 6 days a week every week and get a week off on 6th week (Wallington system).
-
rozsy
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Rotational week off when part-time?
sounds like a no brainer to me 10 days overtime rate for five weeks and a whole week off, or 12 days off over 6 weeks no overtime and no chance of booking a week away, i would love that option, we work 1 in 6 with a long weekend every 6 weeks proper pants
-
movingon
- Posts: 61
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 12:39
- Gender: Female
Rotational week off when part-time?
cheers guys - thought my original temporary contract specified days but the permanent one I was given after a few months just says 20 hours - from what you're saying those two options are the choice the manager gave me - so maybe he was right
yeah I get what you're saying rozsy but I applied for the job because I wanted the flexibility of part-time work and when they move you around putting you blind on new jobs and you end up working over every day then I find 6 days too much!
yeah I get what you're saying rozsy but I applied for the job because I wanted the flexibility of part-time work and when they move you around putting you blind on new jobs and you end up working over every day then I find 6 days too much!
-
rozsy
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Rotational week off when part-time?
Yes thats what is so good about this job movingon the flexibility of your 20 hour contract or if you need the money the overtime is always there, but don't be pressured into working over, if you don't want to work over just be firm and say i'm sticking to my hours, i mis-read your post i thought u didn't mind working six days and didn't realize u was a reserve, it can be a bit much in this job sometimes. But i still think working six days to rule and a full week of is better, holidays are so hard to book these days.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Rotational week off when part-time?
There 'should' be paperwork regarding what the score is at you office regarding different duties,the rep 'should' have the paperwork and the branch 'should' as well, as 'should' the management.
There are a lot of 'shoulds' in this game.Get hunting.
There are a lot of 'shoulds' in this game.Get hunting.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
movingon
- Posts: 61
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 12:39
- Gender: Female
Rotational week off when part-time?
Thanks postman - I was wondering if there could be something like that - I will try to find out!