ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sore feet again!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by fly-catchers »

Despite getting my own and much more comfortable shoes I am now getting hard skin/corns/blisters on my feet. I have added special insoles but the pain is getting to me! After work I ice them and elevate my leg as I have painful knees as well. Is there anything I can do/use to reduce this issue? Walking 10 miles a day does not help!!
super-postie
Posts: 94
Joined: 30 Jul 2015, 06:48
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by super-postie »

Magnum boots are the only issue that I can wear. All the others are foot killers. Cheap crap. If you are new then your body and feet will adjust to the mileage !
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by Nondescript »

Well cushioned trainers is the answer for me. Just make sure they are plain black in colour so as not to attract the attention of your scumbag, sorry, manager. :Very Happy
broughts
Posts: 334
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 19:09
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by broughts »

Dnt soak your feet as it softens them up,go see a podiatrist if u had toothache u would go to the dentist
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by meercat »

fly-catchers wrote:Despite getting my own and much more comfortable shoes I am now getting hard skin/corns/blisters on my feet. I have added special insoles but the pain is getting to me! After work I ice them and elevate my leg as I have painful knees as well. Is there anything I can do/use to reduce this issue? Walking 10 miles a day does not help!!
The most likely cause of corns is supposed to be ill-fitting shoes so your insoles may be squeezing your feet too tight or the shoes may be too large? You could try taking the insoles out and wearing two pairs of socks instead or keep them in and wear two pairs of socks?

Sore knees can be due to lack of cushioning, being over weight or having an unusual gait, you should think about seeing your GP to be refered to a specialist. It can also be due to a build up of uric acid in your joints caused by an unhealthy diet of rich food/fried food/alcohol.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by Chewster »

A good pair of insoles helps. I can't remember what mine are called but I just searched "orthotic insoles" on Amazon and bought a cheap pair and they have really made a difference (better off seeing if you can get a pair made for you by a professional though). Today my magnums were still soaked from yesterday, so I wore my trusty old steely workboots. I fairly noticed the difference with the absence of the insoles! I'm currently sitting at home with my feet aching because of it.
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Sore feet again!

Post by salomon2 »

Go up a size in your shoes to allow for swelling and adding an insole. I come from a runners background so have always had trainers fitted and know what I need. Pain in the knees often comes from weak glutes and tight Itb, go and see a sports physio to sort that out and get some decent seamless running/walking socks. Get rid of any hard skin and buy some spray on plaster to spray any sore areas to help them heal, once the spray is dry rub on Vaseline. It's always worked for me.
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by fly-catchers »

salomon2 wrote:Go up a size in your shoes to allow for swelling and adding an insole. I come from a runners background so have always had trainers fitted and know what I need. Pain in the knees often comes from weak glutes and tight Itb, go and see a sports physio to sort that out and get some decent seamless running/walking socks. Get rid of any hard skin and buy some spray on plaster to spray any sore areas to help them heal, once the spray is dry rub on Vaseline. It's always worked for me.
Thanks for the advice. Looked at seamless walking socks. My shoe size is 6 so does the L size 8-11 sound about right? Going to the podiatrist tomorrow and am off work on my hols now for two weeks Yippee!!
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Sore feet again!

Post by salomon2 »

I use hilly twin skin and buy a medium size 6-8 and I'm a 7 shoe, there's someone on eBay that sells the seconds. The socklets for the summer are great 2 pairs for £4.99 I think. Then I've used the thicker mono skin for the winter. Never had a blister after running marathons.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by Chewster »

I also wear quite thick socks all year round ("workmen" style socks) which I personally find very comfortable, just as long as you don't mind stinking the house out when you take your shoes off in summer
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by fly-catchers »

I went to the podiatrist yesterday who removed the corns and hard skin. And made up some insoles. I have got two pairs of those hilly twin skin socks off Ebay- thanks salomon2 :) And the best treatment of all no work for two weeks! So until I go back will exercise my feet with my work shoes and hope things will be better on return to work. Does not help though when you are told a person 20 years younger than you does the round quicker and what's slowing me down!! :roll: With even more lapsing on the horizon!!
Kick the Bucket
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by Kick the Bucket »

Personally I only get blisters and other foot related issues when it gets hot like today. Probably a mixture of the heat and sweat making my feet swell. Wearing my shoes loosely works well for me
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Sore feet again!

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I really suffer with my feet too! I am wearing Karrimor trainers with arch support and orthotic insoles from Amazon. My chiropodist removed two of my toenails last week as they were coming off. I've just bought some of those hilly twin skin socks so thanks for the heads-up.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by postslippete »

I find the YDLs are quite comfy. Much better than the new Anvils. They have made the soles on the shoe that tough that they are almost un- wearable unless you have walked 500 miles in them first.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
CaptainUppercut
Posts: 9
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 17:48
Gender: Male

Sore feet again!

Post by CaptainUppercut »

The only thing that helped me with blister prevention was cohesive tape. I get it from Home Bargains, it's only a quid. Someone else already said it, but go up a size in your boots too, that helps, especially on scorching hot days.