ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Arthritis with two Ops for Fusion imminent, what to do

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
realitybites
Posts: 435
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 11:28
Gender: Male

Arthritis with two Ops for Fusion imminent, what to do

Post by realitybites »

Have been struggling through deliveries for past 4 years now. Had a visit to hospital (appointment) to see specialist. Soon as he saw me walk through the door he knew what was wrong. On examination of the x-rays he could not believe the severity of the arthritis in both big toes and that it had not been dealt with properly up to this point (had Naproxen, codeine etc to try and control pain, mostly unsuccessfully, failure by the health service).
I had always felt I was whingeing for no reason and felt I just had to get on with it even though I'd be limping around and every now and then let out a scream in agony while on duty, though I tried to control this side of it.
The specialist has even put a rush on the op and has said to me on the day of the op he will deal with whichever one I deem to feel the worst and the other would follow at a later date. The fusion apparently can take a long time, months to fully fuse. Anyone had these ops before and give me a rough idea of the time needed to fully recover. I'm mid fifties now.
I was wondering how this will affect my job on deliveries as well.
Will they try and get shot of me,
will they allow time for full recovery
How will extended time off affect my wages.
Any other info regarding this would be appreciated.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Arthritis with two Ops for Fusion imminent, what to do

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

As you have been diagnosed with arthritis you are now covered under the Equality Act. This means that Royal Mail have to try and make reasonable adjustments.

You'll have told your manager, and he should get you assessed by OH Assist. I would also get in touch with the H&S reps (local and area) and the Equality Rep even if its just to get the most up to date information.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Puppetmaster
Posts: 440
Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 19:56
Gender: Male

Arthritis with two Ops for Fusion imminent, what to do

Post by Puppetmaster »

Do you really believe after the ops assuming they are successful, I would research the success rates and side effects, you will be able to walk 12 miles a day everyday .Indoor job ok assuming their is one to be had ,nearest mail centre to you ?
celtic1967
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 136
Joined: 21 Apr 2011, 17:25
Gender: Male

Arthritis with two Ops for Fusion imminent, what to do

Post by celtic1967 »

OP needs to consider what to do after the operation(s). I am six months after a knee replacement and have been back delivering for four months now and I'm beginning to think that 12+ miles per day is not going to last now. Don't know how to go about changing things though.
Cowdenpostie
Posts: 45
Joined: 22 Nov 2008, 19:59
Gender: Male

Arthritis with two Ops for Fusion imminent, what to do

Post by Cowdenpostie »

Hi mate - I had a fusion on my right big toe due to arthritis about 5 years ago now - recovery for me was 4 months and then a phased return to work - my left toe needs done now, and it's causing me issues with my achilles due to walking funny - I wish I had both done at the same time looking back - been able to do my walk without too much trouble up until recently, just have to take painkillers when needed - and I have to get my work shoes modified at the hospital with a rocker sole to take the pressure of the foot...
realitybites
Posts: 435
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 11:28
Gender: Male

Arthritis with two Ops for Fusion imminent, what to do

Post by realitybites »

Surgeon says a good 5 year life span after the op. Have been suffering for nearly 4 years now during which time I thought a cheilectomy ( trimming of the excess bone accumulated due to the arthritis) would have been offered instead of painkillers and injections. Situation has gone beyond the cheilectomy now and only fusing the joint is deemed viable.