ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Accompanying partner to hospital
-
frankfurters
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 21 Jul 2013, 22:29
- Gender: Female
Accompanying partner to hospital
I've asked if I can have a days leave to go to the hospital with my partner as I really need to be there but my manager has said I can't have the day off. I can't swap my day off as I am out of the country that week too. Any advice and is she aloud to say no?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Accompanying partner to hospital
She is allowed to say no, unfortunately, my suggestion is to pay someone else to either cover your shift or part of your shift to give you the time you need,
as for swapping day off you can still do that, nothing says the swapped day has to be the same week, I know if someone was offering me a saturday off even a few weeks down the line I would swap no problem in fact in my office there would probably be a queue to do the swap
it's worth reading up on dependants leave for the future, it's unpaid but if it's an unplanned emergency you are entitled to time off but it doesn't apply in this case as you knew prior that the day off was needed
as for swapping day off you can still do that, nothing says the swapped day has to be the same week, I know if someone was offering me a saturday off even a few weeks down the line I would swap no problem in fact in my office there would probably be a queue to do the swap
it's worth reading up on dependants leave for the future, it's unpaid but if it's an unplanned emergency you are entitled to time off but it doesn't apply in this case as you knew prior that the day off was needed
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Accompanying partner to hospital
which is ridiculous when you think of it, as whats the difference between an unplanned emergency and one that you knew prior to the day it was happening? In both cases you really should be there with your family, but in the planned one at least you give the managers a heads up so they can organise around it. Once again, it just leaves most of us with the option of not going through the official routes and just taking a sick day.zx135 wrote: it's worth reading up on dependants leave for the future, it's unpaid but if it's an unplanned emergency you are entitled to time off but it doesn't apply in this case as you knew prior that the day off was needed
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Accompanying partner to hospital
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... hp?id=2398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The above link is the DTI version of Time off for dependants. Worth a look.
The above link is the DTI version of Time off for dependants. Worth a look.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Accompanying partner to hospital
What time is the appointment and how long is it. if it is an hour long say at 11.00 for example, work until 10:30 and then take a break to go hospital and then when finished come back to work and finish off delivery. (As long it is not van sharing duty). Is this possible for you.
-
frankfurters
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 21 Jul 2013, 22:29
- Gender: Female
Accompanying partner to hospital
Thanks everyone for you advice and is all sorted now
