ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Quandary ...
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Quandary ...
Can I just run this by a few ...
Daughter's 30th Birthday celebs this weekend - doing the three peaks, and will be doing Scafell on the Sunday. Plan was for me and missus to travel up on Friday - set up camp and cooking etc (there's about 12 peeps going) so all ready for Saturday afternoon (the crowd are doing Snowdon on the Friday and then heading up to Wasdale on Saturday)
My day off this week = Friday
Like most places (I guess) asking for a Saturday off is a waste of time ... I know many peeps who will start "feeling poorly" on the Friday and then phone in sick on the Saturday a.m. However these peeps are mostly under the age of 40 - and see "wagging off" as a way of life (and they seem to get away with it !). Me (nearly 60) have been umming and aaahing about this whole "setup" all week - being from the generation where "work ethic" actually meant something.
What does the team think ???
Daughter's 30th Birthday celebs this weekend - doing the three peaks, and will be doing Scafell on the Sunday. Plan was for me and missus to travel up on Friday - set up camp and cooking etc (there's about 12 peeps going) so all ready for Saturday afternoon (the crowd are doing Snowdon on the Friday and then heading up to Wasdale on Saturday)
My day off this week = Friday
Like most places (I guess) asking for a Saturday off is a waste of time ... I know many peeps who will start "feeling poorly" on the Friday and then phone in sick on the Saturday a.m. However these peeps are mostly under the age of 40 - and see "wagging off" as a way of life (and they seem to get away with it !). Me (nearly 60) have been umming and aaahing about this whole "setup" all week - being from the generation where "work ethic" actually meant something.
What does the team think ???
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
Saturday as annual leave ? Pay someone cash to work it ?
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Quandary ...
Cash cover? Pay a work mate to cover you on the Saturday. Works out expensive these days I think it's about £80 in out office. As long as management agree and your mate confirms he will be "helping" you out on a Saturday it could be the answer?
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
well, if you do decide to take off, i guess you lose your "better work ethic" claim. Personally i would just take it off if its impossible to book saturdays off.
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
The protestant work ethic = work your arse off all your life, not for the money, but to prove your worth (to God).
Works well for capitalism.
No thanks.
How about the Catholic approach - do the sin, then repent later at your leisure.
Either way, I'm sure you'll have God on your side
Works well for capitalism.
No thanks.
How about the Catholic approach - do the sin, then repent later at your leisure.
Either way, I'm sure you'll have God on your side
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
there is a lad in our office has raised the bar for getting duties covered, cos he pays a 100 quid to get his covered and he's done it about 4 times this last few months (horse racing nutter). I remember when it used to be 20-25 quid. i would rather go sick. no scruples.Judgee wrote:Cash cover? Pay a work mate to cover you on the Saturday. Works out expensive these days I think it's about £80 in out office. As long as management agree and your mate confirms he will be "helping" you out on a Saturday it could be the answer?
-
In The Know
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 18:11
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
A person goes sick for a week and sticks pics on Facebook from cornwall and then brings in fudge on the Monday. You couldn't make it up 
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
going on sick leave when not on sick is dishonest, also if you receive any statutory sick pay and your not actually sick, you are actually receiving the statutory sick pay under false pretences and it could be considered fraud, you are basically defrauding the tax payer
if caught it can also be considered dishonest gross misconduct and you could be dismissed
if caught it can also be considered dishonest gross misconduct and you could be dismissed
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
I'm not disagreeing with what you have posted zx - but just as a matter of interest, how could it be proved to be fraudulent if the doc has given a sick note for stress ?zx135 wrote:going on sick leave when not on sick is dishonest, also if you receive any statutory sick pay and your not actually sick, you are actually receiving the statutory sick pay under false pretences and it could be considered fraud, you are basically defrauding the tax payer
if caught it can also be considered dishonest gross misconduct and you could be dismissed
I don't believe that it can - and its a card that is getting played week in week out. In a sense I don't mind RM picking up the tab (or at least, its not my foremost concern), what I object to is an individual sitting in front of a health professional and lying.
Why would the doc not give the sick note ? - why take that risk, and then the individual in question goes and tops themselves, for example.
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
Is this allowed???? Was stopped in our mc many years ago.daveyeff wrote:there is a lad in our office has raised the bar for getting duties covered, cos he pays a 100 quid to get his covered and he's done it about 4 times this last few months (horse racing nutter). I remember when it used to be 20-25 quid. i would rather go sick. no scruples.Judgee wrote:Cash cover? Pay a work mate to cover you on the Saturday. Works out expensive these days I think it's about £80 in out office. As long as management agree and your mate confirms he will be "helping" you out on a Saturday it could be the answer?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
I have no idea how it could be proved, I'm not a doctor though I think some of the managers out there think they are, as for sitting in front of doctor and lying and doctors risking denying a line etc, well that's what doctors get paid the big bucks for to make decisions like thatjetblack wrote:I'm not disagreeing with what you have posted zx - but just as a matter of interest, how could it be proved to be fraudulent if the doc has given a sick note for stress ?zx135 wrote:going on sick leave when not on sick is dishonest, also if you receive any statutory sick pay and your not actually sick, you are actually receiving the statutory sick pay under false pretences and it could be considered fraud, you are basically defrauding the tax payer
if caught it can also be considered dishonest gross misconduct and you could be dismissed
I don't believe that it can - and its a card that is getting played week in week out. In a sense I don't mind RM picking up the tab (or at least, its not my foremost concern), what I object to is an individual sitting in front of a health professional and lying.
Why would the doc not give the sick note ? - why take that risk, and then the individual in question goes and tops themselves, for example.
also worth noting it's not just rm picking up the tab, we are, when ssp is paid it's coming out of mine and your pockets.
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
No neither am I - can I just say at this point that I have absolutely no medical training whatsoever - not even a first aid badge from the Scouts.zx135 wrote:
I have no idea how it could be proved, I'm not a doctor
They do, but if you look at a decision like that (and I'm talking about writing a sick note for stress) there is lots of potential downsides to refusing one, and not much upside. For the doctor that is. So much so that I doubt it happens very much. And I don't particularly blame them - anyone can have their trust breached.zx135 wrote: well that's what doctors get paid the big bucks for to make decisions like that
Mental ill health (stress at least) would be virtually impossible to disprove, even for a Dr. I reckon.
Its a flaw in the system - not sure what can be done about it TBH
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Quandary ...
Unfortunately it's RM cutting the purse strings to the absolute minimum that push some staff into going sick as they know a holiday request will be refused.
later this year I need a Saturday off for a very big family celebration, once in a lifetime event. Now I know I WILL be there for that but im not asking for a day off or swap as it WILL be refused.
Do I feel guilty? Not for one second.
Sorry RM, but you bring a lot of your problems on yourself.
later this year I need a Saturday off for a very big family celebration, once in a lifetime event. Now I know I WILL be there for that but im not asking for a day off or swap as it WILL be refused.
Do I feel guilty? Not for one second.
Sorry RM, but you bring a lot of your problems on yourself.
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
use it or lose it , royal mail will happily put you on a stage warning if you go 1 day over regardless of what your reasons are. No brainer 
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Quandary ...
Personally I'd make the Decision, "I'm going to be there"! And do the appropriate. Unfortunately Royal Mail (or more accuraetly it's Managers) reep what they sow. IF these sort of "Important Family Events" were dealt with a bit more sympathetically (i.e The DOM making a positive decision to swap your Saturday off) then Posties wouldn't be struggling with these types of dilemma.RedBagMan wrote: Like most places (I guess) asking for a Saturday off is a waste of time ... I know many peeps who will start "feeling poorly" on the Friday and then phone in sick on the Saturday a.m. However these peeps are mostly under the age of 40 - and see "wagging off" as a way of life (and they seem to get away with it !). Me (nearly 60) have been umming and aaahing about this whole "setup" all week - being from the generation where "work ethic" actually meant something.
What does the team think ???
Your Family is more Important that Royal Mail....This is just a Job. And do you think those "Youngsters" would give two shites about pulling a sickie and dropping the extra workload on you? Enjoy your Special weekend!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)