As I've said god knows how many times, I'm on a 20 hour contract (we all probably know what contracts everybody on this board is on by now lol) and there's a full time duty come up on the board at work. Lately I've been stuck on a part time duty for a lot of my time, so signing on to this full time duty would at least enable me to get full time hours every week, which ultimately is what I want (the bossman did actually say he wants to doss out a few more FT contracts but I'm still a ways from the top so a bit irrelevant to me for the minute), but I actually quite like doing different duties from time to time, I get a little bored doing the same thing every day. Ultimately I'd actually like to remain a floater, but I don't like the possibility that I'll be stuck with fewer hours than I want. So would you lot recommend that I just sign for this duty considering my aim is to have as close to FT hours as possible?
Also, I'm aware that I may not get it seeing as I'm not that high in the pecking order but I dont think many people are interested in the duty in question.
Also, if two people who have been with RM for the same amount of time (like, literally started on the same day), how do they deal with the whole seniority thing between those two?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Worth signing for a duty?
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Worth signing for a duty?
it sounds to me like you need hours, youre playing a risky game hoping for OT especially with most offices going to more lapsing in the summer. You also get more pay when on holidays and sick pay. But at the end of the day only you can make this choice.
As for seniority, it goes by alphabetical order if you started the same day, which imo is a bit name-ist but i guess theres no other fair way to really decide.
As for seniority, it goes by alphabetical order if you started the same day, which imo is a bit name-ist but i guess theres no other fair way to really decide.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Worth signing for a duty?
Best bet is to get ANY Full Time post! It's Hours in the Bank that you're after....especially for when you're on leave, or sick. I can remember when I was PT I couldn't afford to have 2 weeks holiday together or I didn't have enough to pay the rent!
I don't think many Full Timers have any grasp of how badly some PTers have it!
Once you're Full Time you can work on the next Step....If you want to remain a Reserve, and move around, that shouldn't be too hard as most Posties want their own Duty. You could suggest it to your DOM, they're normally desperate for Posties who can cover loads of different duties. IMO you should get more if you know more Duties...You're more of an Asset to the Business ....so what if you've done the same Duty for the last 10 years and know the name of all the customers & their bloody dogs!
You're basically just a one trick pony that often never does any other duty! 
Once you're Full Time you can work on the next Step....If you want to remain a Reserve, and move around, that shouldn't be too hard as most Posties want their own Duty. You could suggest it to your DOM, they're normally desperate for Posties who can cover loads of different duties. IMO you should get more if you know more Duties...You're more of an Asset to the Business ....so what if you've done the same Duty for the last 10 years and know the name of all the customers & their bloody dogs!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Worth signing for a duty?
Thanks for the advice gents. I've put my name down for it, there's another more senior person also put their name down so at the moment doesn't look like I'll get it, but nothing ventured nothing gained 
-
Hicksville
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 24 Apr 2015, 09:28
- Gender: Male
Worth signing for a duty?
When I started, it went on highest marks in the aptitude test when you apply to RM, maybe it's changed since then (1980's)Postie45 wrote:As for seniority, it goes by alphabetical order if you started the same day, which imo is a bit name-ist but i guess theres no other fair way to really decide.
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Worth signing for a duty?
Went on date of birth at our officeHicksville wrote:When I started, it went on highest marks in the aptitude test when you apply to RM, maybe it's changed since then (1980's)Postie45 wrote:As for seniority, it goes by alphabetical order if you started the same day, which imo is a bit name-ist but i guess theres no other fair way to really decide.