ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rotating days off advice please.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Beckilovesme
Posts: 6
Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 16:34
Gender: Female

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by Beckilovesme »

Hello everyone,

Wondering if someone could explain how the days off work please.
I have just been told that my application and interview was successful and in process of checks now.
The contract I will be working is 25hrs Monday - Saturday with one rotating day off. This is fine for me but in order to book regular medical appointments I would need to be able to work out my days off once I start.

Does it mean, for example, if my first day off is on Monday my first week, then my day off on my second week would be Tuesday, and 3rd week a Wednesday and so forth? Or is it rather sporadic and agreed last minute?

Thank you in advance xxx
osgoody1970
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 360
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by osgoody1970 »

yes
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by General Mannerheim »

That's how it is supposed to be but in a lot of Royal Mail offices the reserves are shoved from pillar to post on different rounds and rarely get to do their `normal` rotating day off as management like to use the operational needs rubbish, as for having a Saturday off you will be lucky.
Oh and good luck with the whole I need time off for medical appointments as well.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by greengiant »

I don't want to put a damper on you getting your new job.
If you are kept on the same route, then your days off should rotate.
If however, you are put on different duties each week (or day for that matter!) then your days off could be anywhere in the week. Such is the life of a RM reserve!
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by NewPostieUK »

Beckilovesme wrote: Does it mean, for example, if my first day off is on Monday my first week, then my day off on my second week would be Tuesday, and 3rd week a Wednesday and so forth?
That's it exactly (although your first day off could be any day, not necessarily Monday). When you get to Saturday, you will be off the Monday, so getting a nice long weekend.

That's the theory, and if you are on the same duty for the first few months, it should be the practice. If you get moved around then your day off will move around. If you have an understanding manager, he will try to keep your day off rotating, or at least give you good notice.

I seem to be in one of the better offices and my day of has rotated for years (since I started). Maybe you will be as lucky. Good luck.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by Chewster »

I've worked here for about 18 months now and I've yet to see a Saturday off...
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Chewster wrote:I've worked here for about 18 months now and I've yet to see a Saturday off...
12 years for me :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by daveyeff »

you havn't had a Saturday off in 12yrs?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by Postie45 »

as others have said, you are likely not to have routine days off when you first start until you can sign for a duty. Depending on office size this could take up to 2 years.
At first youll likely be a reserve, which basically means each week you get put on a delivery where the duty holder is on holiday. Youll probably have the potential to do a lot of overtime too. Of course RM being such a huge company, office to office things can vary widely so no one can tell you exactly what to expect.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

daveyeff wrote:you havn't had a Saturday off in 12yrs?
except for weeks off or the occasional single 1 days leave - No.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by Postie45 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
daveyeff wrote:you havn't had a Saturday off in 12yrs?
except for weeks off or the occasional single 1 days leave - No.
i assume thats through choice, working your day off as an SA or something ?
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by Chewster »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Chewster wrote:I've worked here for about 18 months now and I've yet to see a Saturday off...
12 years for me :chuckle
So...You are what I will become in the future... :crazy:
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by Darren Bent »

as long the office is run fairly you will get a Saturday off every 6 weeks. Sometimes managers swap day off ie bank holiday week and you get Monday off instead of one of other 5 days. if you need to make appointment you can ask your colleagues to swap for your Wednesday for their Thursday for example.
Beckilovesme
Posts: 6
Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 16:34
Gender: Female

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by Beckilovesme »

Thank you for the advice guys, I hope I do get put on a regular one pretty quick as id like to be able to plan for things.

I don't mind not having a Saturday off as I usually work on Saturdays anyways. I would prefer a week day off. I hope there is the opportunity for a good amount of overtime too.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by Chewster »

Oh there should be plenty opportunity for overtime,I'd say that's a given!