ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Parking of vans

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
thedriver
Posts: 1
Joined: 24 May 2016, 22:57
Gender: Male

Parking of vans

Post by thedriver »

Can Royal Mail vans be parked anywhere,reason I ask round my local depot is a road where you can park free for an hour,these spaces are taken up in a morning by post office vans.Quite a few are parked there for hours without getting a parking ticket of the traffic warden I mentioned this to him one day and was told they can park where they want as there working for the queen.Anyone confirm if this is true
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Parking of vans

Post by POSTMAN »

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=39011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Parking of vans

Post by Chewster »

We've got Crown Exemption so yeah, we can essentially park anywhere we want (without taking the piss).
movingon
Posts: 61
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 12:39
Gender: Female

Parking of vans

Post by movingon »

Is this still valid? When I did my driving assessment recently I was told I definitely couldn't park on double yellows.
There's one loop where I can never get a spot, so I park completely on the pavement - it's near a crossing so there is no kerbside parking, the pavement is very wide so I'm not blocking pedestrians - would I be better on the double yellows instead?
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Parking of vans

Post by crazyshrew »

Chewster wrote:We've got Crown Exemption so yeah, we can essentially park anywhere we want (without taking the piss).
That's a Road tax thing and doesn't apply to us.

The enforcement of parking regulations is a local authority matter, to that end, there is no nation wide golden "park anywhere you like" pass for us.
Each Local authority will have it's own list of permissible exemptions and exclusions to the regulations which will hopefully have a sentence or two covering the USO Provider/Royal Mail.
My LA certainly does and RMs exemption is on page 46, we have a 15 minutes grace period in which to carry out the duties of the universal service. And that's it. We are not covered to hog a loading bay to nip into Greggs or block the high street to pay in a cheque to the bank. Nor can we park on double yellows or any other questionable place to do a 30-45 minute loop.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Parking of vans

Post by POSTMAN »

movingon wrote:Is this still valid? When I did my driving assessment recently I was told I definitely couldn't park on double yellows.
There's one loop where I can never get a spot, so I park completely on the pavement - it's near a crossing so there is no kerbside parking, the pavement is very wide so I'm not blocking pedestrians - would I be better on the double yellows instead?
Wouldn't park on a double yellow and go for a walk!
In your circumstance park safely elsewhere, should of been sorted out in the revision anyway.

Everything is in the link including...
To make it easy, if after 5mins there is no activity, ie loading or unloading of your van a ticket can be issued.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Parking of vans

Post by Chewster »

Hmm, I was told on my driver's assessment (October I think it was) that we can park on double yellows (obviously if it's not obstructing anyone) and set about our loops. Perhaps that's changed or it's a local agreement. Also, I'm in Scotland so I suppose it could be different from the British law?

Irrelevant to me anyway, as there's no traffic wardens left in my town :nana
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Parking of vans

Post by Lounge Lizard »

crazyshrew wrote:
Chewster wrote:We've got Crown Exemption so yeah, we can essentially park anywhere we want (without taking the piss).
That's a Road tax thing and doesn't apply to us.

The enforcement of parking regulations is a local authority matter, to that end, there is no nation wide golden "park anywhere you like" pass for us.
Each Local authority will have it's own list of permissible exemptions and exclusions to the regulations which will hopefully have a sentence or two covering the USO Provider/Royal Mail.
My LA certainly does and RMs exemption is on page 46, we have a 15 minutes grace period in which to carry out the duties of the universal service. And that's it. We are not covered to hog a loading bay to nip into Greggs or block the high street to pay in a cheque to the bank. Nor can we park on double yellows or any other questionable place to do a 30-45 minute loop.
If it's "a Road tax thing" why did Royal Mail vans always have tax disks ? :arrrghhh
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Parking of vans

Post by datasaint »

If you are carrying out your duties you can park on double yellows. Traffic enforcement aren't going to bother ticketing you because they know RM can challenge it.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Parking of vans

Post by crazyshrew »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
crazyshrew wrote:
Chewster wrote:We've got Crown Exemption so yeah, we can essentially park anywhere we want (without taking the piss).
That's a Road tax thing and doesn't apply to us.

The enforcement of parking regulations is a local authority matter, to that end, there is no nation wide golden "park anywhere you like" pass for us.
Each Local authority will have it's own list of permissible exemptions and exclusions to the regulations which will hopefully have a sentence or two covering the USO Provider/Royal Mail.
My LA certainly does and RMs exemption is on page 46, we have a 15 minutes grace period in which to carry out the duties of the universal service. And that's it. We are not covered to hog a loading bay to nip into Greggs or block the high street to pay in a cheque to the bank. Nor can we park on double yellows or any other questionable place to do a 30-45 minute loop.
If it's "a Road tax thing" why did Royal Mail vans always have tax disks ? :arrrghhh
Because they are NOT crown exempt
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Parking of vans

Post by Chewster »

I was always told we ARE crown exempt, but after doing some google sleuth work, I can't find anything concrete that says whether we are or aren't. I did find one Police forum that seems to say it depends on the local council area, one that says up to 10 minutes for loading/unloading is alright (though I think that applies to everyone anyway?) and another that says specifically in Scotland we ARE exempt.
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Parking of vans

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

In the first office I worked in the council turned a blind eye to parking on double yellows etc as long as we were not blatantly causing an obstruction.

I've watched the traffic warden ticket every car except a rm van in a delivery area behind a shopping centre