ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Parking of vans
-
thedriver
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 24 May 2016, 22:57
- Gender: Male
Parking of vans
Can Royal Mail vans be parked anywhere,reason I ask round my local depot is a road where you can park free for an hour,these spaces are taken up in a morning by post office vans.Quite a few are parked there for hours without getting a parking ticket of the traffic warden I mentioned this to him one day and was told they can park where they want as there working for the queen.Anyone confirm if this is true
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Parking of vans
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=39011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Parking of vans
We've got Crown Exemption so yeah, we can essentially park anywhere we want (without taking the piss).
-
movingon
- Posts: 61
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 12:39
- Gender: Female
Parking of vans
Is this still valid? When I did my driving assessment recently I was told I definitely couldn't park on double yellows.
There's one loop where I can never get a spot, so I park completely on the pavement - it's near a crossing so there is no kerbside parking, the pavement is very wide so I'm not blocking pedestrians - would I be better on the double yellows instead?
There's one loop where I can never get a spot, so I park completely on the pavement - it's near a crossing so there is no kerbside parking, the pavement is very wide so I'm not blocking pedestrians - would I be better on the double yellows instead?
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Parking of vans
That's a Road tax thing and doesn't apply to us.Chewster wrote:We've got Crown Exemption so yeah, we can essentially park anywhere we want (without taking the piss).
The enforcement of parking regulations is a local authority matter, to that end, there is no nation wide golden "park anywhere you like" pass for us.
Each Local authority will have it's own list of permissible exemptions and exclusions to the regulations which will hopefully have a sentence or two covering the USO Provider/Royal Mail.
My LA certainly does and RMs exemption is on page 46, we have a 15 minutes grace period in which to carry out the duties of the universal service. And that's it. We are not covered to hog a loading bay to nip into Greggs or block the high street to pay in a cheque to the bank. Nor can we park on double yellows or any other questionable place to do a 30-45 minute loop.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Parking of vans
Wouldn't park on a double yellow and go for a walk!movingon wrote:Is this still valid? When I did my driving assessment recently I was told I definitely couldn't park on double yellows.
There's one loop where I can never get a spot, so I park completely on the pavement - it's near a crossing so there is no kerbside parking, the pavement is very wide so I'm not blocking pedestrians - would I be better on the double yellows instead?
In your circumstance park safely elsewhere, should of been sorted out in the revision anyway.
Everything is in the link including...
To make it easy, if after 5mins there is no activity, ie loading or unloading of your van a ticket can be issued.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Parking of vans
Hmm, I was told on my driver's assessment (October I think it was) that we can park on double yellows (obviously if it's not obstructing anyone) and set about our loops. Perhaps that's changed or it's a local agreement. Also, I'm in Scotland so I suppose it could be different from the British law?
Irrelevant to me anyway, as there's no traffic wardens left in my town
Irrelevant to me anyway, as there's no traffic wardens left in my town
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Parking of vans
If it's "a Road tax thing" why did Royal Mail vans always have tax disks ?crazyshrew wrote:That's a Road tax thing and doesn't apply to us.Chewster wrote:We've got Crown Exemption so yeah, we can essentially park anywhere we want (without taking the piss).
The enforcement of parking regulations is a local authority matter, to that end, there is no nation wide golden "park anywhere you like" pass for us.
Each Local authority will have it's own list of permissible exemptions and exclusions to the regulations which will hopefully have a sentence or two covering the USO Provider/Royal Mail.
My LA certainly does and RMs exemption is on page 46, we have a 15 minutes grace period in which to carry out the duties of the universal service. And that's it. We are not covered to hog a loading bay to nip into Greggs or block the high street to pay in a cheque to the bank. Nor can we park on double yellows or any other questionable place to do a 30-45 minute loop.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Parking of vans
If you are carrying out your duties you can park on double yellows. Traffic enforcement aren't going to bother ticketing you because they know RM can challenge it.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Parking of vans
Because they are NOT crown exemptLounge Lizard wrote:If it's "a Road tax thing" why did Royal Mail vans always have tax disks ?crazyshrew wrote:That's a Road tax thing and doesn't apply to us.Chewster wrote:We've got Crown Exemption so yeah, we can essentially park anywhere we want (without taking the piss).
The enforcement of parking regulations is a local authority matter, to that end, there is no nation wide golden "park anywhere you like" pass for us.
Each Local authority will have it's own list of permissible exemptions and exclusions to the regulations which will hopefully have a sentence or two covering the USO Provider/Royal Mail.
My LA certainly does and RMs exemption is on page 46, we have a 15 minutes grace period in which to carry out the duties of the universal service. And that's it. We are not covered to hog a loading bay to nip into Greggs or block the high street to pay in a cheque to the bank. Nor can we park on double yellows or any other questionable place to do a 30-45 minute loop.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Parking of vans
I was always told we ARE crown exempt, but after doing some google sleuth work, I can't find anything concrete that says whether we are or aren't. I did find one Police forum that seems to say it depends on the local council area, one that says up to 10 minutes for loading/unloading is alright (though I think that applies to everyone anyway?) and another that says specifically in Scotland we ARE exempt.
-
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
- Gender: Male
Parking of vans
In the first office I worked in the council turned a blind eye to parking on double yellows etc as long as we were not blatantly causing an obstruction.
I've watched the traffic warden ticket every car except a rm van in a delivery area behind a shopping centre
I've watched the traffic warden ticket every car except a rm van in a delivery area behind a shopping centre