With no PIC where exactly do we stand?
POSTMAN EDIT:
2 LTB's in the Union room
Royal Mail - PiC (Person In Charge) Cover in the Event of Industrial Action by Unite/CMA Members - Health & Safety Duty of Care
And
Unite/Royal Mail Pay Dispute
2 LTB's in the Union room
Royal Mail - PiC (Person In Charge) Cover in the Event of Industrial Action by Unite/CMA Members - Health & Safety Duty of Care
And
Unite/Royal Mail Pay Dispute
If that person was union member though? And what exactly is the advice from our union about crossing the CMA's picket line? And the implications for us if we don't want to?Chewster wrote:Ah ok, that's interesting. Surely a workplace coach or someone who has previously done stand in managerial work would step up to the plate?
I suppose it would depend on which union he is in ( if any)Chewster wrote:Also I'm not sure on this, but I'm fairly sure one of our "managers" is TECHNICALLY a regular OPG like you and I, but has been doing a managers job for the last god knows how many years, would he even be allowed to take part in the strike?
Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?Chewster wrote:Well I imagine it would be up to the individual union member on what he or she wants to do when faced with a picket line. Surely not wanting to cross it would be covered by the conscience clause or something? I'm a union member myself, and personally I just want to get on with my job which is to deliver mail and I don't need a manager to do that so I'll be going to work and doing my shift as normal (though I personally doubt I'll see any picket line at my office)
I personally don't think that'd be demeaning another union's strike at all, it's THEIR strike, not ours. But I'm afraid I don't have any official info, hopefully TBT or POSTMAN will pop in with somethingfeduppostie wrote:Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?Chewster wrote:Well I imagine it would be up to the individual union member on what he or she wants to do when faced with a picket line. Surely not wanting to cross it would be covered by the conscience clause or something? I'm a union member myself, and personally I just want to get on with my job which is to deliver mail and I don't need a manager to do that so I'll be going to work and doing my shift as normal (though I personally doubt I'll see any picket line at my office)
What? Like management never crossed our picket line??feduppostie wrote:Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?
What does it matter what they did - I'm talking about what we do as union membersWOBBLY wrote:What? Like management never crossed our picket line??feduppostie wrote:Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?
So you don't think by crossing another union's picket line and working as normal therefore nullifying the effect of their strike, that it would be demeaning? And yes hopefully someone will be along soon to give us an official line ( not having a pop at you personally)Chewster wrote:I personally don't think that'd be demeaning another union's strike at all, it's THEIR strike, not ours. But I'm afraid I don't have any official info, hopefully TBT or POSTMAN will pop in with somethingfeduppostie wrote:Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?Chewster wrote:Well I imagine it would be up to the individual union member on what he or she wants to do when faced with a picket line. Surely not wanting to cross it would be covered by the conscience clause or something? I'm a union member myself, and personally I just want to get on with my job which is to deliver mail and I don't need a manager to do that so I'll be going to work and doing my shift as normal (though I personally doubt I'll see any picket line at my office)
Last strike was before my time (and I know two wrongs don't make a right), but haven't managers crossed 'our' picket lines before?feduppostie wrote:Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?Chewster wrote:Well I imagine it would be up to the individual union member on what he or she wants to do when faced with a picket line. Surely not wanting to cross it would be covered by the conscience clause or something? I'm a union member myself, and personally I just want to get on with my job which is to deliver mail and I don't need a manager to do that so I'll be going to work and doing my shift as normal (though I personally doubt I'll see any picket line at my office)