ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Managers Strike - No PIC? : 31st May

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Managers Strike - No PIC? : 31st May

Post by feduppostie »

Where do we stand on this - I am deeply uncomfortable crossing any picket line as a union member

With no PIC where exactly do we stand?

POSTMAN EDIT:
2 LTB's in the Union room

Royal Mail - PiC (Person In Charge) Cover in the Event of Industrial Action by Unite/CMA Members - Health & Safety Duty of Care
And
Unite/Royal Mail Pay Dispute
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by Chewster »

What's PIC? There are so many abbreviations used here and I don't know what any of them are :crazy:

These boards are also the only place I've heard of the supposed managers strike. There's been no mention of it in my office whatsoever. How many managers do we think will actually follow through with this?
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by feduppostie »

PIC -Person In Charge ( I think!)
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by Chewster »

Ah ok, that's interesting. Surely a workplace coach or someone who has previously done stand in managerial work would step up to the plate?
thehappyones
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 305
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 11:42
Gender: Male

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by thehappyones »

12;00 tues -12;00 wed......I think its only ml3-el3 that it affects
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by feduppostie »

Chewster wrote:Ah ok, that's interesting. Surely a workplace coach or someone who has previously done stand in managerial work would step up to the plate?
If that person was union member though? And what exactly is the advice from our union about crossing the CMA's picket line? And the implications for us if we don't want to?

I remember not having to deliver to schools if we didn't want to cross the teachers picket lines
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by Chewster »

Also I'm not sure on this, but I'm fairly sure one of our "managers" is TECHNICALLY a regular OPG like you and I, but has been doing a managers job for the last god knows how many years, would he even be allowed to take part in the strike?
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by Chewster »

Well I imagine it would be up to the individual union member on what he or she wants to do when faced with a picket line. Surely not wanting to cross it would be covered by the conscience clause or something? I'm a union member myself, and personally I just want to get on with my job which is to deliver mail and I don't need a manager to do that so I'll be going to work and doing my shift as normal (though I personally doubt I'll see any picket line at my office) :thumbup
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by feduppostie »

Chewster wrote:Also I'm not sure on this, but I'm fairly sure one of our "managers" is TECHNICALLY a regular OPG like you and I, but has been doing a managers job for the last god knows how many years, would he even be allowed to take part in the strike?
I suppose it would depend on which union he is in ( if any)
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by feduppostie »

Chewster wrote:Well I imagine it would be up to the individual union member on what he or she wants to do when faced with a picket line. Surely not wanting to cross it would be covered by the conscience clause or something? I'm a union member myself, and personally I just want to get on with my job which is to deliver mail and I don't need a manager to do that so I'll be going to work and doing my shift as normal (though I personally doubt I'll see any picket line at my office) :thumbup
Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by Chewster »

feduppostie wrote:
Chewster wrote:Well I imagine it would be up to the individual union member on what he or she wants to do when faced with a picket line. Surely not wanting to cross it would be covered by the conscience clause or something? I'm a union member myself, and personally I just want to get on with my job which is to deliver mail and I don't need a manager to do that so I'll be going to work and doing my shift as normal (though I personally doubt I'll see any picket line at my office) :thumbup
Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?
I personally don't think that'd be demeaning another union's strike at all, it's THEIR strike, not ours. But I'm afraid I don't have any official info, hopefully TBT or POSTMAN will pop in with something
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by WOBBLY »

feduppostie wrote:Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?
What? Like management never crossed our picket line??
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by feduppostie »

WOBBLY wrote:
feduppostie wrote:Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?
What? Like management never crossed our picket line??
What does it matter what they did - I'm talking about what we do as union members
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by feduppostie »

Chewster wrote:
feduppostie wrote:
Chewster wrote:Well I imagine it would be up to the individual union member on what he or she wants to do when faced with a picket line. Surely not wanting to cross it would be covered by the conscience clause or something? I'm a union member myself, and personally I just want to get on with my job which is to deliver mail and I don't need a manager to do that so I'll be going to work and doing my shift as normal (though I personally doubt I'll see any picket line at my office) :thumbup
Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?
I personally don't think that'd be demeaning another union's strike at all, it's THEIR strike, not ours. But I'm afraid I don't have any official info, hopefully TBT or POSTMAN will pop in with something
So you don't think by crossing another union's picket line and working as normal therefore nullifying the effect of their strike, that it would be demeaning? And yes hopefully someone will be along soon to give us an official line ( not having a pop at you personally)
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Managers Strike - No PIC?

Post by yellowbelly »

feduppostie wrote:
Chewster wrote:Well I imagine it would be up to the individual union member on what he or she wants to do when faced with a picket line. Surely not wanting to cross it would be covered by the conscience clause or something? I'm a union member myself, and personally I just want to get on with my job which is to deliver mail and I don't need a manager to do that so I'll be going to work and doing my shift as normal (though I personally doubt I'll see any picket line at my office) :thumbup
Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?
Last strike was before my time (and I know two wrongs don't make a right), but haven't managers crossed 'our' picket lines before?

Also as fellow union members where's their support for posties in the everyday working environment?