ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Changes to working hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
d.h.o.s.g.r.f
Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 22:19
Gender: Male

Changes to working hours

Post by d.h.o.s.g.r.f »

Hi just waiting some advice, further to my meeting with the dom in march asking me to switch from a four day week to a three day week which I couldn't do due to childcare issues I have been on holiday last week when I received a letter from a manager writing to inform me that due to business driven need that my working hours are to change to guess what?, yes the same three day week that I had previously said I couldn't do due to taking and collecting my kids from school, so I tried calling said manager as at the bottom of the letter it says any issues should be raised within three working days from the date of this letter , I let the phone ring but he didn't answer so I left a message on his voice mail he still hasn't got back to me. The change will be implemented from the 30/05. Do you think that I should just get in touch with the union on Monday morning as I don't know where I stand on this matter all I do know is that I can't change to these hours. Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice would be gratefully received.
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

Changes to working hours

Post by chillout1571 »

I would definitely contact the union. They should know where you stand on the matter. You could also try writing a letter to the DOM and handing it directly to them. So you could argue you verbally and in writing rejected the change of contract without your permission.
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Changes to working hours

Post by salomon2 »

What do you do with the children in the holidays? Just wondering if you could find before and after school care, most schools have to provide it now or at least be able to point you in the direction of a childminder or a nanny. Thankfully it's not for ever and only 32 weeks of the year, if you can prove that you've tried to find care and can't get it to work then I would think you've got a stronger case against change than if you don't find out what's on offer.
d.h.o.s.g.r.f
Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 22:19
Gender: Male

Changes to working hours

Post by d.h.o.s.g.r.f »

salomon2 wrote:What do you do with the children in the holidays? Just wondering if you could find before and after school care, most schools have to provide it now or at least be able to point you in the direction of a childminder or a nanny. Thankfully it's not for ever and only 32 weeks of the year, if you can prove that you've tried to find care and can't get it to work then I would think you've got a stronger case against change than if you don't find out what's on offer.
It's the same during the holidays it's worked around my wife's working hours she's at home when I work but can't change her hours.
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Changes to working hours

Post by salomon2 »

You can claim tax credits towards childcare, maybe a flexible nanny share would work.