ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do you always feel knackered?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by fly-catchers »

Is it normal to feel just so completely knackered and worn out after work- every day!! I treated myself to seeing a film in London last Sunday and nodded off in that as well. Even during my fortnight holiday off the energy levels rarely seem to recover. Been with RM 28 years and can't remember if I was always tired in my earlier jobs- but don't think I was. Of course being 28 years older does not help either!! Any good supplements worth taking to improve ones energy?
Bernardson
Posts: 320
Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 23:22

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by Bernardson »

fly-catchers wrote:Is it normal to feel just so completely knackered and worn out after work- every day!! I treated myself to seeing a film in London last Sunday and nodded off in that as well. Even during my fortnight holiday off the energy levels rarely seem to recover. Been with RM 28 years and can't remember if I was always tired in my earlier jobs- but don't think I was. Of course being 28 years older does not help either!! Any good supplements worth taking to improve ones energy?
In my thirtieth year and I also suffer! The job is full on these days there is little relaxation time. Whatever happened to grace breaks? And some one making a brew in the morning? I always take my break before commencing delivery but the physicality of the job soon takes its toll. We have had recent trouble retaining new recruits , not just because of the crappy contracts but also because they've been bought up watching Pat on delivery in Greendale! They soon find the realty is very different to the fiction!
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by datasaint »

Get more sleep. Take your breaks. Cut down on stimulants nicotin/caffiene. Don't rush on the job. Spread out your annual leave. Eat less sugar/processed foods.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by postslippete »

Got home saturday, delivered loads of those election things, showered, made a cuppa, sat in the chair Zzzzzzzzz Woke up to watch the cup final on TV and then a few beers in the local before bed by 11.30pm


Postal work is a young man's game but look around our office and there ain't too many guys that are under 30.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by chillout1571 »

I'm always exhausted. If it wasn't for the pay, it would have zero appeal for me. Lol.
Whysoslowyehcfc
Posts: 238
Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 15:57
Gender: Male

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by Whysoslowyehcfc »

Face it the jobs finished, only going to get worse with 6 hour deliveries on the horizon, plus oftcomm being allowed to interfere.
Remember the comments when we used to go on strike?
Idiots used to say "sack the lot of them, there's plenty of people who will do the job"
REALLY?
Then why can't they fill the vacancies or hold onto new recruits?
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by motherhubbard »

Make sure you stay hydrated.
Don't eat crap food.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by bustedflush »

chillout1571 wrote:I'm always exhausted. If it wasn't for the pay, it would have zero appeal for me. Lol.
I find on my Sunday off, I simply feel drained all day, in an almost torpid state and fall asleep in the afternoon for an hour. Ironically I seem to have more energy after a day at work, as I'm sort of hyped up from it physically. When it comes to sitting down, that's when it hits me. Rather than a day off in the conventional sense whereby you go out, cut the grass or whatever, I find Sunday is simply a 'recovery day' and not much else. Like the job even takes that day up too. Worse is the rota week, as I dread the first day back and the pains start all over until my legs 'bed in' again.

Obviously as we age the job is proportionally harder. When I see the runners off to play football or the gym in the evening I do wonder if I ever used to have that energy! I probably did, just those days went long ago..... :Boo hoo!
glass joe
Posts: 171
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
Gender: Male

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by glass joe »

outside chance you might have a testosterone deficiency.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by Chelseablue »

Never understand how ppl work there day off every week and have done for a few years , enjoy ure time off or at least some time off.
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by Pathfinder »

Thought it was only me! My postie does marathons on his days off....

Admittedly my diet isn't great lol :cuppa
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by tonytucker »

norm wrote:Get more sleep. Take your breaks. Cut down on stimulants nicotin/caffiene. Don't rush on the job. Spread out your annual leave. Eat less sugar/processed foods.
Wow what amazing advise are you a dr?
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by Chelseablue »

My partners a posty too , always fall asleep if tryin to watch a film lol
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

Exercise a little more? Some posties think because they are walking several miles a day they should be classed as fit, really there's a big difference between being fit & being physically active.

Doing a little cardio or lifting some weights can go a long way to help you feel better & less tired all the time.
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Do you always feel knackered?

Post by Shaders »

ThatsNotPlumb wrote:Exercise a little more? Some posties think because they are walking several miles a day they should be classed as fit, really there's a big difference between being fit & being physically active.

Doing a little cardio or lifting some weights can go a long way to help you feel better & less tired all the time.






This is very true. Last year i got into running on the wifes treadmill, not great distances, about 3 miles 4 times a week and after a couple of weeks i really did feel better for it.
Ok i didnt really feel like it after work but pushed myself to do it and it worked, found delivery easier, not harder.
Unfortunately ive let it slip and back into my old ways of sitting on my arse when i get home, but intend to start again soon.