ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Temporary full time question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
willymagic
Posts: 26
Joined: 11 Jan 2009, 15:14
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by willymagic »

Can someone clear this up for me, 6 of us in our office have been made up to temporary full time positions until our revision is done, is there a rule where if you are temporary full time for 6 months or more they have to make you permanent? we have been full time now for two months and the revision still hasn't started!!
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by rehabron »

willymagic wrote:Can someone clear this up for me, 6 of us in our office have been made up to temporary full time positions until our revision is done, is there a rule where if you are temporary full time for 6 months or more they have to make you permanent? we have been full time now for two months and the revision still hasn't started!!
The " rule" you are referring to is the insertion in the Agenda for Growth and Stability agreement under legal bindings.

2.7.6 Employees will not be employed on a temporary contract exceeding two years unless it has been agreed by the Employer and the Union that there are very exceptional circumstances. The position of temporary contract Employees will be
kept under regular review, with a view to converting to permanent contracts where and when possible.

2.7.7 The level of part time Employees’ contracted hours will be reviewed by the Employer and the CWU locally on a six monthly basis. Where appropriate, increased contracted hours will be offered to reflect the hours actually worked and planned.
You will appreciate that both clauses are wide open to interpretation taking into consideration the months that are included in summer lapsing thus effecting the 6 month review basis and the likelihood of full time contracts when there is a downturn in the volumes of traffic.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Good Luck with your efforts to get Full Time Contracts. Although the above sections have been stated there never seems to be any Hard & Fast Rules, that are followed by the Management. There always seems to be too much "Wiggle Room" incorporated in these agreements. :arrrghhh

I would suggest getting in touch with the Area Rep, as he should be aware of the proper agreements. Some Local Unit Reps don't seem to be too interested in sorting out these type of problems. Probably because it doesn't have a direct effect on them! :no no I can sympathize with any Part Timer who is trying to get a fair deal over wages, however most Full Timers don't give a shite. It's really a case of "I'm alright Jack"! :no no
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Robertdeniro
Posts: 19
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 20:47
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by Robertdeniro »

I've been temporary full time for 3 years, as have about 6 or 7 in our office.
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Temporary full time question

Post by Cedar_Room »

Robertdeniro wrote:I've been temporary full time for 3 years, as have about 6 or 7 in our office.
You're no longer temporary then!

Once you hit the (I think) two year mark they cannot put you back down to p/t.

A few of us were once temp f/t too,after about 18months our DOM stated making noises about reviewing our contracts,but I believe he was kyboshed by the DSM.

Been full time for approaching 5yrs now.
Last edited by Cedar_Room on 18 May 2016, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by rehabron »

Robertdeniro wrote:I've been temporary full time for 3 years, as have about 6 or 7 in our office.
This is illegal and employer has to provide substantive evidence why you are remaining on a temporary full time contract for this length of time. As I am unaware of the size and administration of the office you are employed at or your employee absence ratio or overtime recorded you will have to take this matter to your union/area rep and finally HR to have this investigated.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by rubberbond »

Cedar_Room wrote:
Robertdeniro wrote:I've been temporary full time for 3 years, as have about 6 or 7 in our office.
You're no longer temporary then!

Once you hit the (I think) two year mark they cannot put you back down to p/t.

Oh yes they can! And do.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by centenaryman »

I`ll jump in and add similar,,,,2 lads in our office temp fulltime since revision slightly over 3 years ago...

nearly got made permanent fulltime about a month ago but area boss stopped it?

every holiday or sickness they get paid part time pay.....
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by Dorset Plodder »

centenaryman wrote:I`ll jump in and add similar,,,,2 lads in our office temp fulltime since revision slightly over 3 years ago...
nearly got made permanent fulltime about a month ago but area boss stopped it?
every holiday or sickness they get paid part time pay.....
Bet there's a bit of bad feeling there mate? I know of Part Timers that did Full Time Duties for a long time, and were then taken off them for a while....... "Just in case they qualified for being made up to Full Time". :no no


I would suggest that those particular Part Timers only worked their contracted hours, basically to prove a point of principle, but I know it's hard to make ends meant on Part Time wages. :thumbdown This practice has worked in some Delivery Offices were a number of PTers only worked their contracted hours and made it an operational necessisity for the DOM to increase their contracts! Good Luck :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Temporary full time question

Post by Cedar_Room »

rubberbond wrote:
Cedar_Room wrote:
Robertdeniro wrote:I've been temporary full time for 3 years, as have about 6 or 7 in our office.
You're no longer temporary then!

Once you hit the (I think) two year mark they cannot put you back down to p/t.

Oh yes they can! And do.
You sure? I've definitely been told different but stand to be proven wrong (I usually am).
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
Robertdeniro
Posts: 19
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 20:47
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by Robertdeniro »

I've asked the union rep numerous times,completely pointless....
Robertdeniro
Posts: 19
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 20:47
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by Robertdeniro »

centenaryman wrote:I`ll jump in and add similar,,,,2 lads in our office temp fulltime since revision slightly over 3 years ago...

nearly got made permanent fulltime about a month ago but area boss stopped it?

every holiday or sickness they get paid part time pay.....
Exactly what happens to me and 6 others
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by Chewster »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
centenaryman wrote:I`ll jump in and add similar,,,,2 lads in our office temp fulltime since revision slightly over 3 years ago...
nearly got made permanent fulltime about a month ago but area boss stopped it?
every holiday or sickness they get paid part time pay.....
Bet there's a bit of bad feeling there mate? I know of Part Timers that did Full Time Duties for a long time, and were then taken off them for a while....... "Just in case they qualified for being made up to Full Time". :no no


I would suggest that those particular Part Timers only worked their contracted hours, basically to prove a point of principle, but I know it's hard to make ends meant on Part Time wages. :thumbdown This practice has worked in some Delivery Offices were a number of PTers only worked their contracted hours and made it an operational necessisity for the DOM to increase their contracts! Good Luck :thumbup
I've thought of doing this myself, but as you say, it's hard to get by on part time wages. We've got a number of FT staff who have just left and more who are soon leaving, so I'm hoping they'll start bringing some of us PT folks up to FT to make up for it...somehow I doubt it though! Out of all the PT staff, there's only I think 3 of us who are on PT duties at least once a week, but stupidly, the hours of those PT duties are STILL larger than our contracts! For now, I'd call it a win if they at least bumped my contract to match the PT duty they love sticking me on (somehow I'm the only part timer that knows it).
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Temporary full time question

Post by Chewster »

Robertdeniro wrote:I've asked the union rep numerous times,completely pointless....
Same here buddy, I ask the managers every week at least, which is like asking a brick wall for a loaf of bread, and the union man whenever he makes a rare appearance but he's not fussed.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Temporary full time question

Post by NewPostieUK »

Robertdeniro wrote:I've been temporary full time for 3 years, as have about 6 or 7 in our office.
But who has seniority? Full time contracts are offered according to seniority, not who has been working the most hours.