ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Fed up of this van share

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mjt120
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
Gender: Male

Fed up of this van share

Post by mjt120 »

Anyone else fed up of this van share, getting sick of being with folk who spend all their time talking and texting on their phones when they should be working. don't want to make a complaint to manager but really it's just taking the mick, makes me laugh as they are the first to want to break off.. Anyone else experienced this.
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Fed up of this van share

Post by GRS »

mjt120 wrote:Anyone else fed up of this van share, getting sick of being with folk who spend all their time talking and texting on their phones when they should be working. don't want to make a complaint to manager but really it's just taking the mick, makes me laugh as they are the first to want to break off.. Anyone else experienced this.
All the problems we foresaw when shared vans were first mooted have shown that we were right to have those fears. Working with people who have a different agenda, working with others when your regular partner is off, needing a toilet when on delivery, nowhere to park vans on certain loops etc etc are just some of the problems you have to regularly overcome. Alongside that it is the most inefficient way of working and you have to work bloody hard just to overcome that inefficiency let alone just doing the job itself. The only thing worse than being paired with people who don''t want to work is being paired with moody temperamental people as you never know how they're going to perform not only from one day to the other but from one loop to another.
mjt120
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
Gender: Male

Fed up of this van share

Post by mjt120 »

Well put, and I agree working with the moody and stroppy people is even worse. I've had one guy who if he doesn't get to drive the van is in a strop all day about it.. Such fun!!!
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Fed up of this van share

Post by NewPostieUK »

mjt120 wrote:Well put, and I agree working with the moody and stroppy people is even worse. I've had one guy who if he doesn't get to drive the van is in a strop all day about it.. Such fun!!!
Is he the driver or the passenger? If he's the driver I can kind of understand some stroppiness!
mjt120
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
Gender: Male

Fed up of this van share

Post by mjt120 »

No I'm the full time driver, he's the reserve.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Fed up of this van share

Post by Lounge Lizard »

mjt120 wrote:No I'm the full time driver, he's the reserve.
Well it's only a few quid for one of those toy steering wheels that you can fit on the dashboard in front of the passenger seat. :nana :nana :nana :nana
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Fed up of this van share

Post by dave72 »

The vans put at least an hour on the job, checking them, loading them up, emptying them, looking for parking and so on :arrrghhh
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Fed up of this van share

Post by rambo1 »

Bikes, more packet driver duties.....it's the future lol, but they'll never go for it, they like spending a tenner to save a quid too much.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Fed up of this van share

Post by motherhubbard »

mjt120 wrote:Anyone else fed up of this van share, getting sick of being with folk who spend all their time talking and texting on their phones when they should be working. don't want to make a complaint to manager but really it's just taking the mick, makes me laugh as they are the first to want to break off.. Anyone else experienced this.
I am sure you are looking forward to the introduction of the 6 hour singleton van duties.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
anthonyok
Posts: 81
Joined: 13 Oct 2007, 17:53

Fed up of this van share

Post by anthonyok »

cant see them getting rid of van share , how could the afford all them extra vans? I m a driver of a van share and ive had all types with me and probably would prefer a singleton round but cant se it happening.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Fed up of this van share

Post by motherhubbard »

anthonyok wrote:cant see them getting rid of van share , how could the afford all them extra vans? I m a driver of a van share and ive had all types with me and probably would prefer a singleton round but cant se it happening.
There won't be a need for any extra vans if the duties are much larger than they currently are.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
anthonyok
Posts: 81
Joined: 13 Oct 2007, 17:53

Fed up of this van share

Post by anthonyok »

Fair comment,didnt think about the extra vans from the merged rounds.But they would be mega walks for a 6 hr delivery span.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Fed up of this van share

Post by postslippete »

I think the van share is great when you're not the driver and don't have to take on the added responsibilities.


No need to do any daily van checks. No need to worry about delivering the large parcels. No need to "break off" and drive round and deliver any specials before 1pm because they are on the last loop.

Thats the theory anyway
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
delfranklin1969
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
Gender: Male

Fed up of this van share

Post by delfranklin1969 »

Having just transferred to another office and taken a full time van share duty (having never done one before in my previous office), I can relate to the above but I am so lucky to have a permanent partner who is of a similar age to me and I get on with really well and we both have the same work ethic. That is critical for a van share to even half work but we are still faced with the same old problems. On our day off it usually goes tits up! I agree I cannot see how they are more efficient but what do I know I'm just a humble postie out on deliveries!
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Fed up of this van share

Post by Surreypostie »

I get on great with my partner, he is the driver, I take anything I can possibly carry to make it easier for him. I take specials, tracks, anything, if it is simply too big then he shoots off, he does have a couple of smaller loops to enable him to do that. If we have to cut off to do 1pm specials, we do it together, he will drop me and I'll do one while he shoots off to do another. You have to work together. I'm sick of hearing drivers on here complaining about how hard they have it, it's shite for everybody. If you are working with a slacker and you are mug enough to put up with it then more fool you. When my regular partner is off, I get teamed up with people that have never done the round before, I do the bigger loops, jump in the van if they are a bit slower and shoot off and do the big stuff for them. No point moaning about it, they are less experienced than me and need a chance to learn the route, again, you just have to work together. I also get teamed up with people that make me look like a tortoise now and then. Never mind, if they want to run around they get to do a bit more. If I catch them sitting in the van having a puff I slow down.