What is the actual system for allocating annual leave? Is there a national agreement or is it done at a local level on an office by office arrangement
I ve been at RM just short of 5 years, and experienced at least 3 different systems of allocating annual leave during this time, but never been balloted or petitioned about any " agreed " changes to the system of allocating leave at our office.
Currently we are put in groups of ten, Ranked in seniority and given a pick of Two Weeks according to that seniority Ranking, Each year Pick, Number 1 moves down to Pick No 10 the next year, Number 2 moves up to first Pick and So on.
However every now and again , Mainly when those with the Most Seniority have worked their way back to the bottom/ last pick' the Old " We are changing the way leave is allocated " mummurs start and we end up going to a system were 2 weeks are allocated to you accoriding to seniority, Then after a while of this being the case we change back to another system.
This always results in a restart to accomadate whatever new system leave is allocated by, whereby we return to those who have the most seniority returning to being first pick, Rather than rotating down the table as they should.
I know Seniority is a thorny subject on here, and in General I have no issues with it, But this seems a gross abuse.
With recent rulings in the high court meaning that inevitably the Government is going to change the things about taking your kids out of School during Term Time, and the way the Leave system is jacked about in my office almost always resulting in me getting no summer leave. I would like to be clear on what is actually the right and legal way to allocate leave.
It seems my office has a Smoke and Mirrors system that always results in the same people being top of the Pile. If that's just the way it is, Okay I understand I ve only got 5 years in and don't deserve any time off with my family in the Summer, But I d just like to know what the actual policy is?
My office now wants to move to system, were we are no longer in Groups of Ten , but the whole leave year is opened up to everyone. And geuss what ? So we have a start point for this " New System " Those with the most seniority will GET FIRST PICK. Its took me 5 years to move off the bottom and now I m back down there again