ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New starter
-
Lydialola
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 12:09
- Gender: Female
New starter
Hi I've received my contract this morning giving my start date and end date 6 months later.
What are the chances of being kept on after 6 months as it says:-
"The reason for your contract being fixed term is that it's anticipated the requirement of your employment is likely to cease on or about the expiry date because of business reorganisation "
I worked for Parcelforce for 9 years up until 2010 but got ill so this is my first job after being back to full health.
Feeling a bit anxious about starting, have my induction day Monday 16th the start Wednesday 18th on a 24hr contract
Any advice would be great...thanks
What are the chances of being kept on after 6 months as it says:-
"The reason for your contract being fixed term is that it's anticipated the requirement of your employment is likely to cease on or about the expiry date because of business reorganisation "
I worked for Parcelforce for 9 years up until 2010 but got ill so this is my first job after being back to full health.
Feeling a bit anxious about starting, have my induction day Monday 16th the start Wednesday 18th on a 24hr contract
Any advice would be great...thanks
-
Scotland1
- Posts: 180
- Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 16:17
- Gender: Female
New starter
A very good chance of being kept on, keep your head down, do job properly and don't take a sickie in the 6 months and u will be fine
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
New starter
Nothing guarunteed but just do the maths may plus 6 months is November, highly unlikely to be not renewed a few weeks before our busiest time of year
-
mjt120
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 53
- Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
- Gender: Male
New starter
I agree keep your head down do the best job you can and you should be fine. It will seem hard at first especially the walking but you will get faster as the months go by. Just hope you get trained properly and shown how to do things the correct way. Good luck.
-
Lydialola
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 12:09
- Gender: Female
New starter
Thanks for the replies...
I intend to give it my all, I was on a temporary contract for the first 2 years with Parcelforce so have a small idea of how it works :)
I intend to give it my all, I was on a temporary contract for the first 2 years with Parcelforce so have a small idea of how it works :)
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
New starter
Yeah just do your job and you'll be fine. I don't think they REALLY hire anyone on a temporary basis, as long as you're not god-awful at the job they'll definitely be looking to keep you forever and ever
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
New starter
yeah they basically employ every new starter on contracts like this now, after while you can be eligible for full time. These 6 month contracts give RM great flexibility though.
I dont want to sound negative but if I started now I dont know how long Id last, the deliveries now take experienced postmen past their time a lot of days (of course this is dependant on the office you go to). However I guess knowing this then if you are struggling when you first begin you wont get too downhearted, good luck !
I dont want to sound negative but if I started now I dont know how long Id last, the deliveries now take experienced postmen past their time a lot of days (of course this is dependant on the office you go to). However I guess knowing this then if you are struggling when you first begin you wont get too downhearted, good luck !
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
New starter
The question is, as the new starters lasting over 6 months are about 1/9, will you want to be kept on??
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
New starter
I don't doubt that figure, but where did you obtain it from?bustedflush wrote:The question is, as the new starters lasting over 6 months are about 1/9, will you want to be kept on??
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
New starter
I don't doubt the figure either, we've had quite a few people leaving after just a few weeks over the last year. But I would say to Lydia, and any other new starter, that the job does take a fair bit of getting used to. I was doing hard labour on farms before I started here and even I was finding it physically exhausting. I'd make sure to give it at least a month or two before deciding if you want to stay or not
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
New starter
I was told this at induction in Bristol. We were told should I say.Nondescript wrote:I don't doubt that figure, but where did you obtain it from?bustedflush wrote:The question is, as the new starters lasting over 6 months are about 1/9, will you want to be kept on??
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
New starter
We've had people leave on the first day! But as you worked for parcel force I'm sure you have some idea of what to expect. Good luck on Monday .
-
Lydialola
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 12:09
- Gender: Female
New starter
Thanks everyone!!...I will go in with an open mind, I'm looking forward to getting back in to work after being off so long.
I need my independence back...I'm back to full health after having a kidney transplant, so fingers crossed it works out.....
I need my independence back...I'm back to full health after having a kidney transplant, so fingers crossed it works out.....
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
New starter
Good luck Lydialola. I started last July on a 3 month contract and was given a long-term contract in October. When I started everyone (including the DOM) told me that everyone hates it to start with and to give it at least 6 weeks to get used to it but I loved it from day 1.
-
Lydialola
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 12:09
- Gender: Female
New starter
Thank you so much Peshawaarinaan...I don't think it's helping reading some of the comments haha.
It's my induction tomorrow and I start Wednesday, my daughter and hubby have told me I'll be fine as my 19yr old daughter said ( you're not soft ) and I believe I'm no shrinking violet as my Parcelforce colleagues once told me lol...x
It's my induction tomorrow and I start Wednesday, my daughter and hubby have told me I'll be fine as my 19yr old daughter said ( you're not soft ) and I believe I'm no shrinking violet as my Parcelforce colleagues once told me lol...x