ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

worst round...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

worst round...

Post by chillout1571 »

I started at RM just under a year ago. I was placed on the same round for 6 months, which was fine. I then started to be moved around, again, no problem. However lately I have been lumbered with the worst round in the office. Its famous for it. Nobody wants to do it, so I'm stuck with it. 5 people started after me, but none of them are ever popped on it. I don't want the over time, yet we always go over. I really am tired at the end of the week. Is my best bet just cutting off or chatting management? I don't mind doing it as part of being a reserve, but I've been on it for ages. No sign of being moved on.
wheresourmoney
Posts: 170
Joined: 27 Jan 2011, 14:50
Gender: Male

worst round...

Post by wheresourmoney »

chillout1571 wrote:I started at RM just under a year ago. I was placed on the same round for 6 months, which was fine. I then started to be moved around, again, no problem. However lately I have been lumbered with the worst round in the office. Its famous for it. Nobody wants to do it, so I'm stuck with it. 5 people started after me, but none of them are ever popped on it. I don't want the over time, yet we always go over. I really am tired at the end of the week. Is my best bet just cutting off or chatting management? I don't mind doing it as part of being a reserve, but I've been on it for ages. No sign of being moved on.
If, like our office, your walks are issued by the dom and union rep, you could speak to the rep first,but to be honest the fact you are on a regular walk i would not rock the boat to much, we have lads in our office who have done up to eight years and are still holiday subs, the fact that you are on your own semi-permenant walk may not be such a bad thing, at least this way you are master of your own destiny and you can cut off if feeling tired or stay out if you need the money.
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

worst round...

Post by Pidleypoo »

I was just going to say it's taken me 10 years to get my own duty so if you like regular days off and long weekends you might have to take the rough with the smooth. But saying that you absolutely have a start and finish time it's up to you what you would prefer.i would mostly work to my time and still do.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

worst round...

Post by Postie45 »

if youre consistently going over maybe see your union rep as youre demonstrating the duty is too long. You may well just get moved off the duty and into being a general reserve, i guess it depends on what you prefer. If youve really just had enough of being knackered then just inform the manager youre not going to extend any more.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

worst round...

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Are you getting paid for the overtime? If you are, then it's been mentioned already........ put up with it (if you want a permanent duty) or follow the over running procedure and cut off on your busy days (which mean's you'll probably be replaced) :hmmmm

We have several "Over-Sized" duties and they're done by the Overtime Bandits. They're happy to go over by 1-2 hours every day, and normally work their days off! Going over isn't as crazy as it sounds, because they often do several collections a week so there's no reason for them to get back too early....provided they're in time to start their collections! :crazy:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

worst round...

Post by chillout1571 »

Thanks for the advice. Its all swings and round about, as being a reserve is not much fun. I know I am lucky, they haven't made me do too much moving around and I have set days off, yet I am still dragging my feet. Maybe I need to re-evaluate the situation.