ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by troubadour2012en »

Hi everyone!

Sad to say this, but I am in big trouble. Few days ago I had to deliver a traked parcel and, after I tried (unsuccesfully) with neighbours, I decided to hide it behind some bins, and left him an explanatory P739. At the moment it looked like a safe place (I haven't left the parcel at the door step, in plain sight) but...The custom couldn't find it, phoned and complained, and now I'm in trouble. I know I shoudn't do that, I just tried to help, but...I'm wondering now what is the worst thing that could happen to me in this situation, could I lose my job?
Bella2013
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Nov 2015, 21:50
Gender: Female

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by Bella2013 »

Happened to me before, I left it hidden round the back and then they phoned up and said they couldn't find it. Nothing happened to me manager just reminded me about the rules of leaving parcels etc. Another thing that's happened to me is when I've pushed a docket through then they've come to the door and I've handed them the parcel but forgotten to take the docket and then they've been in to the office to try and get the parcel I'd handed them so they could claim it was lost and get make a claim for it so sometimes they're just having you on to try and claim the money!
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by Chewster »

I think you'll probably get a bit of a bollocking but I don't think you'd be in danger of losing your job (fingers crossed!) A lot of these tracked parcels actually specify "behind bins" as a safeplace so you may be able to use that as a sort of "justification" for your manager. Personally I tend to stick parcels IN the bins, unless someone complains about it.

By the way, brace yourself for the onslaught of people telling you how you're a terrible postie for leaving it in a place like that! (I don't think that though don't worry :thumbup )
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by troubadour2012en »

oh, thanks a lt for replies! I know I didn't the right thing, according with our policy ("no doortepping") but, as I already said, trying to help him (and me, nobody likes to bring too many parcels back). I been lucky so far, never had a complain though...
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by eastie »

Docket everything, no such thing as a safe place.
don't be pressured into not bringing parcels back by management
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by datasaint »

You shouldn't do it and this thread proves why.

The customer, even if they are the friendliest person ever, will have no qualms phoning up to complain and using the 739 you left admitting to doorstepping as evidence.

I'm not risking my job because the callers office happens to be miles away from the customer, that's not my fault, its RM's decision to base it like that, and they have the option of free designated delivery time & place.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by steve1873 »

troubadour2012en wrote:oh, thanks a lt for replies! I know I didn't the right thing, according with our policy ("no doortepping") but, as I already said, trying to help him (and me, nobody likes to bring too many parcels back). I been lucky so far, never had a complain though...
Seriously? Who gives a **** how many parcels you bring back? If the customer isn't in and you can't find a neigbour to take parcel (if you have time to go searching) then p739 it and take it back and protect your job!

I hope you keep your job. But at same time, I hope you learn a valuable lesson!
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by scoobydo79 »

Chewster wrote:I think you'll probably get a bit of a bollocking but I don't think you'd be in danger of losing your job (fingers crossed!) A lot of these tracked parcels actually specify "behind bins" as a safeplace so you may be able to use that as a sort of "justification" for your manager. Personally I tend to stick parcels IN the bins, unless someone complains about it.

By the way, brace yourself for the onslaught of people telling you how you're a terrible postie for leaving it in a place like that! (I don't think that though don't worry :thumbup )

Putting a parcel in the bin is not a safe place.Even if the customer says it is.Dont do it!!
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

worst case scenario is loss of job but the chances of that are pretty remote, all depends on the circumstances, ie did you sign the customers name if a signature was needed, how well you get on with your dom, if dom is looking to make an example of someone, if the office is looking for a way to cut hours, your record with customer complaints etc lots of variables to weigh up
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by salomon2 »

Go and knock on the door today, see what their reaction is like, bet another member of the family has found the parcel and not said anything!
borgpicard
Posts: 486
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by borgpicard »

One of the many reasons, I will not leave packets, I dont knock on other doors either, not enough time.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by Postie45 »

once again THIS is why you dont doorstep
"oh i do it all the time and no ones ever complained"
thats great, until that one time when it does go wrong (and its just a matter of time)
then youre worried about keeping your job
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

This is what you get for trying to help a customer & save them a trip down to your office to collect the parcel. It's easier to just be a bastard & ignore all safeplace instructions either on parcel or on a note written through visible glass behind door, just card the item & return it for collection.

What's annoying is you've no idea if it's just one of those people that actually did get the package safely from wherever you stored it & is trying to claim compensation off Royal Mail or whomever they purchased whatever was in the package from by claiming they didn't get it not realising by them profiting they could potentially cause someone their job even though they might have been genuinely trying to help the customer out.

You should be fine unless you're already walking a fine line for other offenses, you'll just get reminded of the guidelines for safe placing & doorstepping items by a manager no doubt.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by steve1873 »

What people need to understand is that the recipient is NOT our customer. They are a 3rd party. The sender is the customer. Yes, it is great to be friendly to the members of public we encounter on a daily basis and try to assist them as best we can - after all they will undoubtedly use Royal Mail from time to time as a customer (sender), so it is important to maintain good relations. However, is it really worth risking your employment by trying to do someone a favour, who in all honesty would likely think nothing of jamming you up in the event something went missing - even if they had previously given you "permission" to leave items somewhere?
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

couldn't find a "delivered" parcel

Post by olilew »

I asked a manager the other day about being pressured into getting rid of tracked and doorstepping and he gave me the perfect answer; he said "If I was in your shoes, I would rather take it back to the office and have an argument with my manager than go home to my wife and tell her I've lost my job!"
"Just take it out and see how you go......."