ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by 19times »

:oops:

I thought my rest day was the Saturday before my 2 weeks off so booked 2 weeks in Spain, flying out on Friday morning - booked that day off however I've just realised I've cocked up somehow... my day off that week is actually Wednesday :oops:

How do I play this? own up to my mistake??

Cheers :oops:
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by fishtank »

You know how a decent manager would deal with it.
You know your manager better than us.

If you think there will be a problem put your request in writing at the earliest opportunity and if it gets refused ask for the reasons in writing, speak to your rep and take it further quoting the summer lapsing agreement, cause some bother.

Have a backup plan, talk to your colleagues about a swap.
Don't go sick.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by datasaint »

Have you got the Friday booked off already? If so anybody can see it's a genuine mistake.
Scotland1
Posts: 180
Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 16:17
Gender: Female

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by Scotland1 »

Take it unpaid
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by 19times »

Cheers lads, genuine error on my part.

I booked the Friday off the other month thinking great got the Sat off as it's my long weekend :oops:

I'm not one to go sick to be honest, will take it unpaid If need be.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Just need to ask nicely to try and get it off, unfortunately your new at the mercy of the dom
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by aiden01 »

zx135 wrote:Just need to ask nicely to try and get it off, unfortunately your new at the mercy of the dom
Just pray you have a good one.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by arnold cheshire »

Did you get the days off?
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by bustedflush »

Several options - I don't condone skiving so not advocating that but Saturday is like gold dust, so:

Ask for unpaid.
Ask for paid and explain costs paid for holiday and your predicament to DIM - may involve being office bitch for a few occasions, i.e. manager gets you to take left-behind lapsing a few times in return, or similar 'favours'.
Ask for a swap.
Get a docket-whore to do your day for you (would involve a bung almost certainly higher than the wages you take home for that Saturday, but needs must.)

Good luck.
Trolleyed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by Trolleyed »

Did a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. . Day off is Friday, thought stag weekend started Saturday after my shift. Turns out it starts Friday. Explained to DOM, shift swapped no drama at all. And that's on the end of May bank holiday weekend. Guess I'm lucky I've got a good manager. Best of luck.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Summer Holidays - School Boy Error

Post by 19times »

Quick update.

I managed to sort a swap out in the end myself only after the first lad I asked agreeing then remembering he already swapped the day I needed with someone else :d'oh!

Sorted anyway. :thumbup