ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by robbertwhitton »

Anyone have a problem re front parking sensors on 15 plate Peugeot partner van? Just got this van ,from another office,so not new,rear sensors I get ,but front seems to go off however near you get to something,can you turn them off?? I do hope so or I will be clear why that wanted shot of this van,apart from being too big for my round and our yard it seems ok ?
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by crazyshrew »

Don;t think you can turn them off.
First time I got in one it took me an embarrassingly long time to work out what the beeping was - re did my seatbelt, walked round opening and slamming shut all the doors, checked the handbrake and made sure I was in neutral.. in the end i just gave up backed out and it finally stopped.

Absolutely does my nut the way out of our office is up a long narrow road that is parked up both sides.Aactually got plenty of room but the Peugeot beeps every two seconds. driving past anything makes it go off.
the constant beeping is surely too much of a distraction to be considered a feature that would improve safety?
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by toomuchcoke »

robbertwhitton wrote:Anyone have a problem re front parking sensors on 15 plate Peugeot partner van? Just got this van ,from another office,so not new,rear sensors I get ,but front seems to go off however near you get to something,can you turn them off?? I do hope so or I will be clear why that wanted shot of this van,apart from being too big for my round and our yard it seems ok ?
We have a 15 plate Peugeot Partner which is the same. You'd expect the front parking sensors to only be activated when you're in either first or reverse, but no they're active all the time! Which does make it interesting if you're travelling up a flooded road (only ~1-2cm I hasten to add) where the spray from the front wheels causes them to go off constantly! I'm not aware of any way of turning them off.

It's just another one of those bizarre Royal Mail warning things ... Clearly if you're about to rear-end a stationary car whilst doing 60mph the warning of the front sensors might make all the difference? Not! It's so reminiscent of the "hand brake warnings" which would actually be useful if it went off if you opened the drivers door with the handbrake off - but no, they go off randomly or every time (depending on what sort of van you have) and hence will just be ignored! :arrrghhh I know they'll be ignored, because I've had a (mild) handbrake runaway and it wasn't the voice saying "please ensure the handbrake is fully engaged before leaving the vehicle" that I noticed, it was the vehicle starting to move! It was only afterwards that I thought it was amusing that I'd reacted to the movement and not the voice!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by Dorset Plodder »

The problem with that Bloody Annoying Handbrake Warning is: ..... After a while you just get so wound up at it that you blank it out. So I can understand why you didn't react to it TMC.

The other problem is that customers give you funny looks when you're getting out of the van shouting, "Will you Bloody well shut up you annoying woman"?, or words to that effect! :cool
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by robbertwhitton »

crazyshrew wrote:Don;t think you can turn them off.
First time I got in one it took me an embarrassingly long time to work out what the beeping was - re did my seatbelt, walked round opening and slamming shut all the doors, checked the handbrake and made sure I was in neutral.. in the end i just gave up backed out and it finally stopped.

Absolutely does my nut the way out of our office is up a long narrow road that is parked up both sides.Aactually got plenty of room but the Peugeot beeps every two seconds. driving past anything makes it go off.
the constant beeping is surely too much of a distraction to be considered a feature that would improve safety?
Many thanks for replies to this,so not just me then,I am not going mad?? Yet!!! Will have to challenge this it can't be right going off all the time surely,did they not think this through???
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by Shaders »

They probably can be turned off but its a software/diagnostics change
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by freelunch »

How did we ever manage without this wonderful warning technology?
Gotta love progress
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

freelunch wrote:How did we ever manage without this wonderful warning technology?
Gotta love progress

Yes at least the analogue versions of yesteryear had a mute function. :nervous :nervous

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by Chewster »

I've only had to drive one of those once, and it was rather annoying. I was going down a very old road that was built long before the car came along. Residents like to park on the street too, so there is barely half a foot either side of you when you're driving down. BEEP BEEP BEEP all the way down!
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by ganda »

The button is a p with a bell and off on it. That will disable the system. But I assume it will need pressing every time you start the engine.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by toomuchcoke »

Dorset Plodder wrote:The other problem is that customers give you funny looks when you're getting out of the van shouting, "Will you Bloody well shut up you annoying woman"?, or words to that effect! :cool
Just so long as you're not sharing a van with a female colleague at the time? (To be fair, I think most of the female posties I've worked with would just laugh but the customers might take it the wrong way.)
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by robbertwhitton »

ganda wrote:The button is a p with a bell and off on it. That will disable the system. But I assume it will need pressing every time you start the engine.
Tried that it's been disabled nice!!!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Front parking sensor Peugeot van

Post by Dorset Plodder »

toomuchcoke wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:The other problem is that customers give you funny looks when you're getting out of the van shouting, "Will you Bloody well shut up you annoying woman"?, or words to that effect! :cool
Just so long as you're not sharing a van with a female colleague at the time? (To be fair, I think most of the female posties I've worked with would just laugh but the customers might take it the wrong way.)
Now you've got me thinking......we haven't got any Females as van shares! :shock: They've all got their own vans....Is that discrimination? :hmmmm

TBH The van share partners were the most contentious parts of the resigns. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)