ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part timer hours review in AFG

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
goinpostal
Posts: 395
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 00:09
Gender: Female

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by goinpostal »

Anyone tried to get an hours review for part-timers who do more than their hours every week (supposed to be every six months in Agenda For Growth)?

More to the point anyone actually won any extra hours? :arrrghhh

Pointers welcome, thanks!
Join Labour, defend Corbyn from the Right, and fight for socialist policies
xray3
Posts: 36
Joined: 13 Dec 2011, 09:15
Gender: Male

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by xray3 »

Yes you can get an increase in hours, as you quite rightly stated part time workers hours should be reviewed every 6 months. Check with your CWU Rep to see when last reviewed.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by postslippete »

I wonder how rigorously the Agenda for Growth agreement has been applied in Royal Mail delivery offices in reference to permanently increasing a part-timers OPGs hours??


Ive seen part-timers constantly working more hours than their weekly contract every week and nothing seems to happen other than them putting their hours down as overtime. I believe one of them got on to the rep about an increase in hours but obviously nothing happened other than the managers didn't call him in for a few weeks. Clever management or weak reps??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by NewPostieUK »

It goes on seniority (allegedly) so unless you are the most senior part timer you will be fighting to have someone else contract increased. Nothing wrong with that of course, as long as you know.
ddtc
Posts: 253
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
Gender: Male

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by ddtc »

Currently dragging on at my office. Its a bit of a joke, union say they want to get it sorted and all I hear back is its going somewhere but dont know when. This has been for over a year now and getting really fed up. All other part timers concerned are the same. Losing money on hols, bonuses etc.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by bustedflush »

Several reasons why this doesn't happen and is the biggest scam in RM:

Accounting - a FT employee goes down on the balance sheet as a bigger liability than a PT one, that also takes into consideration any potential IHR/ER or CR/VR. Massive savings to be had when contracted hours are low.

Holiday/Sick/Rota weeks. Obviously RM doesn't have to (at present) pay an average of weekly pay reflective of OT in these 3 cases.

OT for PT''ers is not enhanced. If, like in a factory, you were paid time + 1/4 or 1/2 for over-hours then RM would soon be begging you to sign a FT contract if you regularly worked 39+ hours per week off of a PT contract.......

Indifference - managers incentivized to minimize hours, reps have more important things to worry about. Then the hassle of digging out 6 months' wage slips to prove to the manager/rep you are essentially a FT worker according to the WFA.

So, many obstructions at present.
Boggle Boggle Boggle
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 17:49
Gender: Male

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by Boggle Boggle Boggle »

The whole issue of PT's going FT is scandelous. In my office four people were made up, they had no seniority whatsoever and it seems to be a case of if your face fits and there is no work or inconvenience for the management then happy days, if not tough luck. The procedures in place for dealing with issues favours those that already have FT contracts and the PT staff can suck eggs unless they tow the line. I'd love to see some of the senior managers have to struggle on a weekly basis to work out how much money will be coming in.
bandit1157
Posts: 246
Joined: 20 Aug 2009, 00:51
Gender: Male
Location: sh1t street

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by bandit1157 »

No chance in our office, why would people be made up when they make the job work by doing O/T every day. I am offered O/T but never do any, the only increase in hours out of me will be if they put it on my contract. I don't lapse, leave packets [van share] almost every day and finish on time, no problem. No questions asked [now] as I've asked the manager a few times to time the walk. Van shares in our office are treated as second class, the runners/favourites on the best walks are out up to an hour earlier than us every day, without a van load of packets. I've asked the manager to explain that one and stay fashionable. up to now the best answer I've had is a sickly grin.
It's life Jim but not as we know it
JeremyFisher
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 14:10
Gender: Male

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by JeremyFisher »

No chance here, we've lost 2 due to ill health and there hasn't been a single hour put in, they're just absorbing it, I was told I should be inline for an increase but I guess he was overruled by a higher up.

Currently training to leave this horribly company.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by Chewster »

I've been on a 20 hour contract since I started about 18 months ago, but have been doing full time (often even more!) for the vast majority of it. They've cut the hours off one duty (by having it double prepped in the mornings) putting it down to 25 hours. It gets lapsed a lot of the time, but when it's not being lapsed I get lumped with it due to being the only part timer trained on it. I was hoping to be bumped up to a full time contract before this happened, but now, if they at least bumped me up to the 25 hours that the duty now is I'd call that progress - but of course that does not seem to be happening. The managers KNOW that I want to be full time, and there are others in the office who would like to go down to part time and take this part time duty, which is essentially vacant. Why oh why they can't just get one of these people trained on the duty so that I (or indeed a more senior part timer) can be made full time is a mystery. I think that RM just aren't interested in giving out anymore full time contracts and I don't think managers want to/can be arsed to change the status quo of their offices.

There are people who have started since I and a few colleagues started, and they were hired on 25 hour contracts beating our 20hours. We have asked the managers and the union man if we can be bumped up in line with these new starts, but no luck.

Luckily, as I say, the duty in question does get lapsed fairly often so on those days I'm on a full time duty and make up some hours.

I'm not massively fussed about it overall, but it is a massive pain when on annual leave and you only get your 20 or whatever hours basic pay. I imagine it will also be a pain in the next year or two when I look into getting a mortgage and I have to beg the bank man..
super-postie
Posts: 94
Joined: 30 Jul 2015, 06:48
Gender: Male

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by super-postie »

All these policies. Looks good on paper but as usual nothing gets done. Im in similar situation. Duty Im on is 5 hours more than my contract. Has been made up on o/t for over 2 years. No increase in contract. Will chase union and take higher if no joy. Your right though. Holiday pay, delivery supplement are where the business save probably millions a year at the expense of us minions.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Part timer hours review in AFG

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

super-postie wrote:All these policies. Looks good on paper but as usual nothing gets done. Im in similar situation. Duty Im on is 5 hours more than my contract. Has been made up on o/t for over 2 years. No increase in contract. Will chase union and take higher if no joy. Your right though. Holiday pay, delivery supplement are where the business save probably millions a year at the expense of us minions.

Holiday pay is being tackled by the Union after a decision from the EU last year so hopefully there may be good news in that area soon.

When working SSPR overtime is basically your basic pay plus any supplements due for the hours worked over your contract up to a total of 39.


To preempt a question of why PTimers don't get proper Over time pay after their contracted hours, the answer is that you can't treat workers less favourably than others: http://www.inbrief.co.uk/employees/cond ... r-time.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As a part-time worker will I be able to be paid for overtime?

Unless it is provided for in their contract of employment, employers will only pay overtime to part-time workers when they work:

Longer hours than are included in their contract
More than the normal working hours of full-time staff – they must receive extra payments if these are received by full-time staff
Unsocial hours for which full-time staff would get more pay
It is a legal requirement that part-time workers must not be treated less favourably than full-time staff.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.