ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
JiminyBillyBob
Posts: 177
Joined: 26 Jun 2012, 21:06
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by JiminyBillyBob »

So about 2 years ago I got signed off with depression, at the time I just thought f**k it I hate the job anyway and I'll never go back, I never even planned on coming back to this country, I decide to take off to America for 2 years, like many suckers thinking life must be so much better over there, well I can tell you first off it isn't for so many reasons, normal America life is so much wrose than ours, I'll never complain about living in England again, I f***ing love this country! So on the plus side I guess it gave me appreciation of my home.
Anyway I get back home to 2 years worth of mail and discover I've been dismissed for not showing up for meetings with managers to discuss my situation? Not suprised at all, like i said I didn't care what happened back then.
But now I'm back I really miss it, and honestly I did think about life as a postie many times while away, for some reason especially on Saturdays??? The job did suck but so does most jobs when your doing them, every job has is good and bad points, and compared to my other job prospects at the moment and past jobs it really is the best.

So is there any slim chance I could get back in, maybe applying at a different office. Or I'm I screwed forever, will it ever disappear from the records that I was dismissed one day in years to come? I have no idea how it works? I don't know if it helps but I always showed up for work, think I had one sick day before this whole incident, I never had any problems or caused any trouble.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by rehabron »

JiminyBillyBob wrote:So about 2 years ago I got signed off with depression, at the time I just thought f**k it I hate the job anyway and I'll never go back, I never even planned on coming back to this country, I decide to take off to America for 2 years, like many suckers thinking life must be so much better over there, well I can tell you first off it isn't for so many reasons, normal America life is so much wrose than ours, I'll never complain about living in England again, I f***ing love this country! So on the plus side I guess it gave me appreciation of my home.
Anyway I get back home to 2 years worth of mail and discover I've been dismissed for not showing up for meetings with managers to discuss my situation? Not suprised at all, like i said I didn't care what happened back then.
But now I'm back I really miss it, and honestly I did think about life as a postie many times while away, for some reason especially on Saturdays??? The job did suck but so does most jobs when your doing them, every job has is good and bad points, and compared to my other job prospects at the moment and past jobs it really is the best.

So is there any slim chance I could get back in, maybe applying at a different office. Or I'm I screwed forever, will it ever disappear from the records that I was dismissed one day in years to come? I have no idea how it works? I don't know if it helps but I always showed up for work, think I had one sick day before this whole incident, I never had any problems or caused any trouble.
Well in the present climate of employment with RM where VR and EVR are being handed out like confetti and doing your Lord Lucan act by disappearing across the pond while your employer has being trying to ascertain your whereabouts with messages of invites to establish your circumstances and having received no response the possibility of a return to employment with them you would get less odds from William Hill on Aston Villa winning the premier league. But nothing ventured nothing gained so you can apply on line for job opportunities at RM and take it from there.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by Jpro747 »

I'd say its pretty slim but no harm in re-applying or phoning up the office you worked at and explain your situation, you know how to do the job so thats always going to be a bonus.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Give hr a phone and query what happened for your "dismissal" there is actually a reasonable chance it has just been recorded as a resignation for personal reasons, and if so there may not be any attached notes on the reason why and you could then just apply for jobs again with RM (maybe avoid your previous office or area)
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

You weren't sacked for Stealing! So I'd get onto HR, stress the Depression angle and give it a punt. We're not exactly inundated with new recruits nowadays. Good Luck! :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by scoobydo79 »

If You hated the job two years ago I doubt You will like it now.
fmrPOSTIE
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 674
Joined: 29 Oct 2008, 20:52
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by fmrPOSTIE »

Chances are slim. If dismissed they aren't going to re-hire you unless they recorded you as leaving the business by other means. If your sacked for Admitted Dishonesty then you're put on a register I believe stopping you from gaining re-employment elsewhere in Royal Mail Group.
JiminyBillyBob
Posts: 177
Joined: 26 Jun 2012, 21:06
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by JiminyBillyBob »

Thank's for the kinds words of encouragement from...err most of the replys,
I think like most posties I had a love hate relationship with the job, but really compared to the jobs I've been stuck with since leaving it really is a million times better, I really need a job where I'm working alone or with very few people, I don't know why but it's just the way I am, I even miss coming in completely hungover on Saturday morning and try to get through my walk in enough time so I could get to the footie game!

Anyway I just applied online for the next town over from my old ofice, did the online test (which by the way seems way more easy than the one I did way back in th past?)
and got a interview for next Tuesday, hopfully get a job and my life back on track?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by Postie45 »

hated your job before, hated living in US ..... it seems youve had opportunities, maybe you need to self evaluate rather than saying how terrible everything is ?
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by scoobydo79 »

Yeah You just confirmed what I said further up. Come in hungover on a Saturday. Carve the job up so You can get to football. Work on Your own. Prepare for a shock if they employ You mate.Having said this good luck.
ysbrydtawel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 111
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 20:57
Gender: Male
Location: South West

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by ysbrydtawel »

JiminyBillyBob wrote:Thank's for the kinds words of encouragement from...err most of the replys,
I think like most posties I had a love hate relationship with the job, but really compared to the jobs I've been stuck with since leaving it really is a million times better, I really need a job where I'm working alone or with very few people, I don't know why but it's just the way I am, I even miss coming in completely hungover on Saturday morning and try to get through my walk in enough time so I could get to the footie game!

Anyway I just applied online for the next town over from my old ofice, did the online test (which by the way seems way more easy than the one I did way back in th past?)
and got a interview for next Tuesday, hopfully get a job and my life back on track?
Good luck, mate. The fact you've got that far might be promising, then again I don't know how the recruitment process works.

I'd stress the depression angle if I were you - got any doctors' notes? Or did you visit the doctor about it at all? If so you can get a copy of your medical records from your GP for about a tenner. You could also tell them about how you are (or are planning to) see a psychotherapist, or how you saw one in America for a while and it really helped and you have got your life back on tract.

Anyway, al the best!
We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by datasaint »

No harm in trying. But don't withhold information like 'I have worked for Royal Mail before'. Soon as they get your national insurance number you'll appear on payroll.
westham000
Posts: 106
Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 18:44
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by westham000 »

Good luck, I really hope you get the job. Everyone deserves a second chance.

But put your feet in their shoes. If you owned a business and one of your employees left without giving notice. ( and I don't no if your went sick and was receiving sick pay prior to leaving ) would you reemploy that person 2 years later if he came to you asking for a job ?
JiminyBillyBob
Posts: 177
Joined: 26 Jun 2012, 21:06
Gender: Male

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by JiminyBillyBob »

Postie45 wrote:hated your job before, hated living in US ..... it seems youve had opportunities, maybe you need to self evaluate rather than saying how terrible everything is ?
When I say hate it really was more love/hate, I loved working outside exercising while working, being on my own, meeting different people. What I hated mainly was being put on random walks at the drop of a hat, being forced into overtime, old posties who think they rule the office.
I've had many amazing opportunities in my life and yes being able to live in America for 2 years is an amazing opportunity that I couldn't pass on and one that few who wish to won't get, but I've been there I therefore can say first-hand that it sucks from personal experience and I prefer England by far! You know the saying "you never know until you try"

I know at the end of the day I'm meant for better things and I'll get those things I have a proven track record of getting what I want, but for now while I revaluate everything I'll bide my time at royal making £10 an hour, I'm certainly not gonna stay here forever like everyone else staying in the job but also moaning about it every foot of the way!

By the way I got hired again, the DOM at this office was a manager at my old office and liked me and wanted me back

Follow your dreams people, if you have any? You are better than this place!
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Chances of getting rehired after dismissal?

Post by General Mannerheim »

By the way I got hired again, the DOM at this office was a manager at my old office and liked me and wanted me back
So he liked you for not keeping in contact and going AWOL and not answering any of the many letters he would have had to have sent you. ;liar :cuppa
Where is this Utopian outlet in Royal Fail land?
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.