ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You carried more and had some company
10486435_960015550785522_79969530171036962_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

Round here that's part of the new methods revision :)

A lot of the Public footpaths across the fields were originally Postie only paths so you could deliver to the farms.

It's also why the boundary of rural Postcode normally is denoted by a river.
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best

Post by Shaders »

They've got thousands of donkey's delivering the mail nowadays
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best

Post by Glenno »

On a more serious note, is there any D/O's out there that still use BIKES? even if it is for reasonable adjustment etc
Cheers Glenno :wave :wave
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Was told by our Area Rep that we could have kept some of our Bikes "where Appropriate"!. Unfortunately he wasn't the Rep at the time, and now we've got rid of them all! :arrrghhh I believe Management just couldn't be arsed with keeping on top of the maintenance....... we were always moaning at the DOM about the state of the Bikes. Now, with vehicles, he can just blame the workshop. :Very Happy

I was thinking of pushing to get a bike re-instated on one duty in particular.........But I've got enough on my plate at present and it'd probably be pissing in the wind anyway! :sad: Perhaps a battle for the CWU to fight in the future? Especially with the increasing number of "Walking" related long term injuries. How long before Walking becomes a H&S issue? Oh I forget it's just something that the majority of it's members want, and would really benefit from. It's probably not a sexy enough subject to bother about! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best

Post by Chewster »

I didn't start this job until the bikes in my office were long gone (though there are a few still rusting away in the shed), but nowadays with heavier workloads and more parcels especially, I really don't see how anyone can argue the efficiency of bikes over HCTs, LWTs and vanshares? I agree that currently we're all gonna end up knackered before our time as a result of all this walking, but I don't think that bringing back the normal pushbikes is the answer. Someone (POSTMAN I think?) had a thread recently with seemingly canned prospective mail delivery methods, including a moped thing and a tricycle thing, something like that would be good idea I think...but of course if it makes sense it won't happen :crazy:
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best

Post by Glenno »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Was told by our Area Rep that we could have kept some of our Bikes "where Appropriate"!. Unfortunately he wasn't the Rep at the time, and now we've got rid of them all! :arrrghhh I believe Management just couldn't be arsed with keeping on top of the maintenance....... we were always moaning at the DOM about the state of the Bikes. Now, with vehicles, he can just blame the workshop. :Very Happy

I was thinking of pushing to get a bike re-instated on one duty in particular.........But I've got enough on my plate at present and it'd probably be pissing in the wind anyway! :sad: Perhaps a battle for the CWU to fight in the future? Especially with the increasing number of "Walking" related long term injuries. How long before Walking becomes a H&S issue? Oh I forget it's just something that the majority of it's members want, and would really benefit from. It's probably not a sexy enough subject to bother about! :cuppa
The fight is on in our Area, we managed to keep a few bikes post revision 4-5 yrs back, that's why I was asking if others did the same, the reasons you have mentioned above do not justify the total removal of bikes, but i hear where you are coming from, been at stage 3 now for nearly 2 yrs and has all just started again, bring it on that's what I say
:wave :wave
Red_van_man_
Posts: 4
Joined: 17 Mar 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best

Post by Red_van_man_ »

I'm sure I saw bikes down gorleston way last year ?
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best

Post by Dorset Plodder »

There are occasions where it may "Be Appropriate". Example: Rural Duty with a large villages. Postie has the capability to deliver Large Packets ...in the van..... and can complete those bloody long driveways with the mail on a bike. (Which is in the back of the van) :thumbup

When the removal of bikes was first mentioned we pointed out that the Duties would take much longer if we had to walk everywhere with a LWT or HCT. We were told Royal Mail knew this and accepted that more time would be required but that was the cost they were willing to pay for H&S. What a load of BS! ;liar Basically they just took our bikes gave us vans and didn't properly adjust duties! Hence Posties are struggling. :arrrghhh

I HATE THOSE BLOODY LONG DRIVEWAYS! :d'oh! We're now averaging about 8-10 miles of walking a day....which is pretty good for Van Duties!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)