ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How many steps do you ascend (and descend) in a day?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

How many steps do you ascend (and descend) in a day?

Post by Nondescript »

Yes, I know, it's only a very slight variation on an already well worn theme, but how many steps do you go up and down in a day?

I'll start the ball rolling - one of the duties I cover has 42 four-storey blocks of flats in it, with 22 steps leading up to each storey above ground level so that's 22 times 3 times 42 = 2772 steps ascended.

Obviously there are more steps to be ascended outside the flats but I won't count those. So who's next? Sherpa Tenzing need not post :thumbup

Edit: a few facts pulled from the web:-

There are 354 steps to get to the crown of the Statue of Liberty, and visitors should plan on a 30 minute climb

The Eiffel tower was an instant success with the public, and nearly 30,000 visitors made the 1,710-step climb to the top before the lifts entered service.

The Burj Khalifa building has 2,909 stairs from the ground floor to the 160th floor.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

How many steps do you ascend (and descend) in a day?

Post by meercat »

No offence meant but you sound like Forrest Gump. Have you numbered all these steps with a permanent marker pen by any chance?

At a guess I'd say between 800 and 1k.
2.7k sounds a LOT of steps, has the walk been checked by your H+S rep? There could be a case for breaking it up so 1 person is not climbing all those stairs each day?

Also did you know not all steps are equal? Some of my flats have shallower inclined steps than others making them approx 40% easier to climb.

And did you know steps are easier to climb (less muscle and joint strain) if you walk up them in a zig zag?
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

How many steps do you ascend (and descend) in a day?

Post by Nondescript »

I thought we were all Forrest Gumps in this job. Anyway, no I haven't marked all the steps with a marker pen, but all of the blocks of flats are identical (council built), so all it took was the measure of one to know the rest. I'm afraid there is no case for breaking up the duty as the delivery office I work at just happens to cover a city with lots of blocks of flats, so the duty I mentioned is nothing out of the ordinary. Having spoken to a few, postmen from the sector dread being sent to this office as cover as they know what awaits them.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

How many steps do you ascend (and descend) in a day?

Post by meercat »

Nondescript wrote:I thought we were all Forrest Gumps in this job.
lol plenty of them about. :nervous